Thread: RPM Issues. Need your opinion please

RPM Issues. Need your opinion please

Over the weekend we were running my 25 ZX in a Poker Run. For some reason when I was at WOT, the rpm would occasionally drop from around 4600rpm down to 4000rpm and then after a while it would pick back up slowly. I could feel the boat slow down when this would happen, so I know its not a gauge issue. This boat with this prop usually runs right around 5000rpm with that prop which is also strange. I did have some cup added to the prop, but that would not have slowed me down I don't think? The boat was also running about 4-6 gps mph slower than usuall as well.
    I could have been over trimming it because I need to replace the trim senders and I am trimming based on the feel, but if I was over trimming it would have raised the rpm I would think? Does this sound like it could be a fuel or fuel filter issue? I was running fresh non-ethanol fuel so I don't think it would be the fuel, but possibly the filter? All my other gauges were reading normal.
    Any thoughts?
    Donzi 18C
    Donzi 25 ZX "Full Tilt F/B "

I imagine it *could* be the filter, but don't know. Couple questions:

How old is the filter? (In operating hours if you know, in months if not).

Carb or FI?
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Its EFI. I bought the boat in April and was told it was serviced when it was winterized the previous fall.
    Donzi 18C

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

its a combination of things,,water temps are up and so is the humidity.this will chop rpm's and speed..i will loose 600 rpm's on hot days..

It really was not all that hot. Low to mid 80s max. However it was at a hight elevation.
    Donzi 18C

Quote Originally Posted by Mckillop View Post
    It really was not all that hot. Low to mid 80s max. However it was at a hight elevation.
    How much elevation? Or where was it, if you don't know the elevation?

Lake Chelan, wa. Maybe 1200 feet
    Donzi 18C

I take it you usually run at sea level.

Chelan says 1100 feet. I don't know how accurate this formula is, but I see a lot of online estimates of 3% horsepower loss per thousand feet of elevation. So, maybe you were down about 3%.

But what's that, 10 -15 horsepower loss? While I'm sure you'd notice it, I don't think it explains all of the 4-6 mph you lost. And the intermittent stuff (slowing down, picking up slowly) also sounds like something else isn't happy.

Thread Information