Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trim Up Problem

Trim Up Problem

Drive won't go up with trim switch but will go up with trailer switch. Don't have time to get it fixed soon. While on the water can I just use the trailer switch to trim the drive out?
    What is likely problem - bad switch?
    RedDog

President - West Vestal Donzi Owner's Group
    Knoxville, TN

mrfixxall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDog View Post
    Drive won't go up with trim switch but will go up with trailer switch. Don't have time to get it fixed soon. While on the water can I just use the trailer switch to trim the drive out?
    What is likely problem - bad switch?

could be the trim limit switch,,look for 2 black wires at the trim pump that come from the transm housing..unplug them and put the male and female bullet connectors together at the trim pump and try the switch..if it works then your good to go until you get the limiter switch repaired..

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    could be the trim limit switch,,look for 2 black wires at the trim pump that come from the transm housing..unplug them and put the male and female bullet connectors together at the trim pump and try the switch..if it works then your good to go until you get the limiter switch repaired..
    Mr Fix. I may be a little slow here. Could you clarify? Unplug the wires and tie them together? Or hook them in some way to the trim pump?

PS - the the trim guage works if that means anything
    RedDog

Knoxville, TN

You just have to be sure you don't trim too high because it won't have a limit, it'll keep going up.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

You need to climb down into the engine room on the port side and look for a wireing harness all wrapped in black tape...it's probably "wire tied" to the stringer...running aft. Cut ALL the tape off to expose the wires. There is no risk doing this if you are careful not to cut any wires. The reason for this is to be able to SEE the wire color codes.

If you are comfortable doing this.. post back and I will give you the color codes and next steps.

When done...You will be bypassing the circuit which is currently preventing you from trimming UP with the TRIM switch. The Trailer Switch won't work for trimming UP the drive while underway. George is correct: Once you bypass the circuit..you will have to monitor the "drive position" by Eyeball..because the Lift Limit Switch will be inactivated.

This is a LOT cheaper than having someone replace the WIREING from the Hockey Puck on the drive (Left side) to the harness Inside. DJ
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Don't worry too much about over trimming. If you were to over trim you would porpoise and more than likely blow the wheel out, I have non of that hooked up nor do I have the trim gauge it was replaced by a clock. Sea conditions and speeds are ever changing as will the trim of your boat, relying on given settings just do not work your tach and feel will always do a better job.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Mr Fix. I may be a little slow here. Could you clarify? Unplug the wires and tie them together? Or hook them in some way to the trim pump?

PS - the the trim guage works if that means anything

their are 2 set of black wires that come from the gimbal,,one set operates and tells the gauge where the drive position is, the other set tells the trim pump where to stop so you sont over trim as mentioned..the gauge set goes towards the engine harness and you wont need to worrie about that set of wires..the other set goes to the trim pump and both the trim limit switch sender has a male and female bullet connectors..pic one shows the limit sender unpluged from the trim pump..take the wires like in pic 2 BUT on the trim pump and plug them together like pic 2 BUT on the trim pump only so your trim switch works..if it still dont work then you will need to replace the trim switch in the handle..

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJon View Post
    You need to climb down into the engine room on the port side and look for a wireing harness all wrapped in black tape...it's probably "wire tied" to the stringer...running aft. Cut ALL the tape off to expose the wires. There is no risk doing this if you are careful not to cut any wires. The reason for this is to be able to SEE the wire color codes.
    If you are comfortable doing this.. post back and I will give you the color codes and next steps.
    When done...You will be bypassing the circuit which is currently preventing you from trimming UP with the TRIM switch. The Trailer Switch won't work for trimming UP the drive while underway. George is correct: Once you bypass the circuit..you will have to monitor the "drive position" by Eyeball..because the Lift Limit Switch will be inactivated.
    This is a LOT cheaper than having someone replace the WIREING from the Hockey Puck on the drive (Left side) to the harness Inside. DJ
    I always trim by seat of the pants rather than looking at the trim guage so over trimming is not a concern. Are you saying the trailer switch will not work when in gear and underway?
    RedDog

Knoxville, TN

The trim limit switch has nothing to do with the trim gauge, the trim limit sw is located at the port pivot pin and the rheostat/trim sender is at the starboard side pivot pin, and if you had a OMC cobra or KC drive you would not have a trim limit switch anyway from day one of being new. Also most mercruiser dealers & repair shops will recommend to eliminate and bypass the trim limit switch when it goes bad to save you the expense of a needless repair, and heck most aftermarket replacement throttle/shift assembly's come only equipped with one trim sw anyway mounted in the throttle handle.

The best trim limit switch is you watching your GPS speedo & tach to obtain your best mph.
    Just like you don't need a gauge or throttle switch to tell you when to slow down because the water is getting to rough, you know from your own experience.
    WH
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

I have the same problem. I've been trimming with the trailer switch for 5 years now. My local merc shop said it was probably just the limit switches were out of adjustment. Someday I might get around to fixing it
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I have the same problem. I've been trimming with the trailer switch for 5 years now. My local merc shop said it was probably just the limit switches were out of adjustment. Someday I might get around to fixing it
    That is the answer I was lookig for as I don't have time to repair it until August and the Chattanooga River run@ is later this month.
    RedDog

Knoxville, TN

I always trim by seat of the pants rather than looking at the trim guage so over trimming is not a concern. Are you saying the trailer switch will not work when in gear and underway?
    I guess no one has been totally clear with their description of what's going on, when you bypass the Trim Limit Switch as Fixx described above.

We ARE NOT talking about trimming the drive while the boat is underway at speed. When you LIFT the drive, using the TRAILER Switch, (and the limit switch has been bypassed), the drive will continue to Go Up as long as you keep your finger on the button.

HOWEVER: Because you have disabled the Limit Switch as Fixx described.....the drive will continue to GO UP and will JAM itself into the transom assembly if you don't Eyeball the procedure each time, to prevent JAMMING. We don't need no stinkin JAMMING.

SO: WHY did we dis-able the Trim Limit Switch..???? We did this to REGAIN use of the Trim Switch (NOT Limit switch) on the throttle...so you can trim the drive AT Speed.

Don't ask me to explain WHY this procedure works. DJ

PS: I have found that trying to TRIM the drive underway At SPEED using the TRAILER Switch simply does NOT work...IF it did, we wouldn't need a Sepaerate Trim Switch on the throttle.
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

And the plot thickens...

So my Livorsi throttle includes no trailer switch, just a trim switch that serves both purposes. Works just fine and has for two seasons now...

My opinion is that you will be fine for the Gorge Run, Tim.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RT, that throttle looks bad!!! how was the install on that? does that still use your origional cables?
    FISH HARD

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    RT, that throttle looks bad!!! how was the install on that? does that still use your origional cables?
    Nice part is that it works as well as it looks. I am running four and five blades now, so I need the ability to throttle the boat or risk smoking a drive. Very smooth action. Mine took the stock cables. Brian Orlandi did the re-rig on the beast this time, but I did not hear him complain much on this piece, so I would say the install was fairly straight forward.

Thread Information