Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Torn between old and new

Torn between old and new

As you may or may not know im restoring a 66 Barrelback. Im starting to make progress but in my quest to get er done Im seeing way too many cool things. Gauges, Controls, Interior and so on.... There is still a part of me that longs for a late 90s 22 that I can make my way.
    I am staying true to the Barrelback and trying to make her look as origional as possible. I piicked up a Morse Control, Going with all white interior and Origional Gauge cluster, Hinges, Latches, ect... and also got a new 350 with 325 hp for her.
    Also some people mentioned how the Barrelback ride and handeling wasnt great compained to other Classics
    In the back of my twisted head alot of the time im thinking how cool it would be to have a 22 and going with a big block, Paint it black and have the tan ( Camel colored interior) Saw one before and loved it...
    I feel like im cheating on my little Mistress...lol
    What to do...
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

It is some easy to get carried away! All it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$$!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyc View Post
    In the back of my twisted head alot of the time im thinking how cool it would be to have a 22 and going with a big block, Paint it black and have the tan ( Camel colored interior) Saw one before and loved it...
    I feel like im cheating on my little Mistress...lol
    What to do...
    Love the one you're with . . .

Glass 4 feet of foam to the bow and make a 22 barrelback

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

It's always easy to get sidetracked from one project. I lost a little focus on my project and ended up converting this one from BBC to OB power
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin275 View Post
    Love the one you're with . . .
    Great song! And I do... maybe its just lusting after a bigger girl...lol

Focus grasshopper.. You'll get there.. The journey along the way is part of the fun & ownership experience.. Jamie / Lakeside

Agree, you can always make a move later. Stay the course, and if it takes longer then you had hoped, who cares?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by LKSD View Post
    Focus grasshopper.. You'll get there.. The journey along the way is part of the fun & ownership experience.. Jamie / Lakeside
    Ok Master Poe, Im happy with my progress so far. I have my motor, Fiberglass work is almost complete. Bought a new compressor and rebuilt my gravity primer gun, Hope to have it in Primer soon ( Soon as I get the money).
    Its the cool stuff I see while looking for what I need that screws me up... im a weak man when it comes to the tricked out stuff. Im going with basic chrome bezel, White face gauges on the 18. In the back of my head im thinking WOW Look at those... Look at that.
    I really dont have an addictive personality but it appears im Hooked.
    I am confident that I will be in the water next summer with my little hot rod

ya know, a 18 2+3 66 is something special!especially whenyou bring it back your way.do it as you planned...90 models can always be found later.you are on the right track' stay focused!!!

Buddy~

I guess you now regret not keeping Forrest's old X-18 ?
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

i wish I could agree with the journey is part of the fun of ownership expierence. stritcly for people who do their own projects the journey sux, you'll have times of great joy,frustration,despair,anger,humor, self doubt , and indecision . basically every emotion or feeling you'll have in life crammed into a project that will take twice as long cost twice as much as planned.

the payoff is well worth it, and if your truely addicted you'll do it again. you'll need understanding family and friends too that helps.

BEER HELPS TOO!!! LOTS OF IT

HABITUAL REPEAT OFFENDER
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by silverghost View Post
    Buddy~

I guess you now regret not keeping Forrest's old X-18 ?
    Hell no!!! Your way off! Reread the thread, not one mentioned that,

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    i wish I could agree with the journey is part of the fun of ownership expierence. stritcly for people who do their own projects the journey sux, you'll have times of great joy,frustration,despair,anger,humor, self doubt , and indecision . basically every emotion or feeling you'll have in life crammed into a project that will take twice as long cost twice as much as planned.

the payoff is well worth it, and if your truely addicted you'll do it again. you'll need understanding family and friends too that helps.

BEER HELPS TOO!!! LOTS OF IT

HABITUAL REPEAT OFFENDER
    Give Matt a cold one, that pretty much sums it up, if I didnt care too much about the work I'm doing I could just fly thru it and move on. I don't have to tell most of you how bad fiberglass inches especially in the summer heat. Today is my day off and I can't wait to get into the shop and get back to work on her.
    When she is complete , it will be done right and make all of her previous keepers proud...
    BTW Matt, I put my old college fridge under the workbench... perfect for a 30 pack! Grind a little, drink a little....

Stay with her. My 66 BB gets soooo much attention. (mostly from me) A beautiful boat, mine wasn't restored to original config. The previous owner did a great job and I believe got caught up in the "newer is better" gig and drifted from orig. I don't mind at all, really it helped me get the boat at a better price as many aficionados poo-pood the changes. I don't even know the hull number as the balsa was replaced during restore and the numbers are gone. I notice Donzi owners glance to the stern and nod as they see the sexy curve and triple hatch. As for handling she's... um, special. Raised X and 420hp make it a handful. It was never intended to travel in the 70's. I've never owned a Donzi before and I swear the thing has a personality and temperament. One day she'll cooperate and set up easily, glad to skip along at 70+, after lunch you go out again and she'll have a hissy fit at 45?!? jumping up on the free board coming off waves. Never boring, never happier.
    1966 Donzi 18 2+3
    1951 Shepherd 22 Runabout (sold)
    Wahoo 14
    Hobie 16

Thread Information