Thread: Ignition Problem?

Ignition Problem?

I put the boat in Saturday for the first time this year, ran 3 hours and shut it down for the night. Sunday when I turned the key it made a very brief click and then nothing with subsequent turns of the key. Wiggled key, rattled shifter, wiggled battery cables, wiggled coupler where engine harness is joined. Started fine, ran 150 yards at idle and cut off. Did the same series of wiggles etc, it stated and I ran 2 hours back to the trailer. Went to start to flush...same thing. Did sveral restarts to check and it started well. I am guessing a bad ignition switch, kill switch, neutral safety switch or harness connection. Any suggestions or diagnostic tips would be greatly appreciated. 1992 454 King....stock aprox 350-400 hours. Thanks

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by ANGUS View Post
    I put the boat in Saturday for the first time this year, ran 3 hours and shut it down for the night. Sunday when I turned the key it made a very brief click and then nothing with subsequent turns of the key. Wiggled key, rattled shifter, wiggled battery cables, wiggled coupler where engine harness is joined. Started fine, ran 150 yards at idle and cut off. Did the same series of wiggles etc, it stated and I ran 2 hours back to the trailer. Went to start to flush...same thing. Did sveral restarts to check and it started well. I am guessing a bad ignition switch, kill switch, neutral safety switch or harness connection. Any suggestions or diagnostic tips would be greatly appreciated. 1992 454 King....stock aprox 350-400 hours. Thanks

check the main round plug, some came with a hose clamp and some did not..if their is not one the install one..

+1 for Fix's suggestion and I would also "wiggle" one thing at a time and narrow it down....in other words, check ALL your connections, starting at the ignition working back, do it one item at a time or you will not figure out the actual cause, good luck with it.

Thanks

Thanks for the helpful comments, I had thought it was ignition rather than a ground...but I am limited on this stuff. The main plug makes sense also because the tach has been dropping out occasionally and it seems to be from that plug. I'll try a wide banded clamp and see if that helps. Again, thanks for the help.

Thread Information