Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk on an 18

Blackhawk on an 18

Well, this boat has not killed me yet, it must be time to try something new. The best i've got out ot with a bravo is 79.6, and it is a handfull. We'll see what this does.

I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPbSQR0PB9k

Nice. Should work well. Watch out for the steering popo....
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Nice. Should work well. Watch out for the steering popo....
    Yeah, that does scare me, I'll go easy at first see how the boat likes it. Trying to decide if I want to keep this one or buoild a 22.

Pretty slick !

Can't wait to hear how that blackhawk drive performs.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

I have an 18 with a bh running 75 with 27p.what kind of power do you have in that.Also what are you running in props.

The handling will surprise you, -0- steering torque and less roll up in turns. You will not achieve the drives potential at the stock X, Think about this Steve's 18 at 17-1/2 X made 79 on a good day with a bone stock 300 Merc. A decent 383 should get into the high 90's possibly hit 6 digits with superb control. The gear case must be completely clear of the water flow, even the slightest bit into the flow produces quite a bit of stern lift which could make the azz end squirrely. Setup correctly it will ride on rails, will we only have one 18 that was setup right!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

The top of the torpedo is 3+" above the bottom. The skeg on this thing is monstrous that must be why so much control. The steering is going to be the wild card. If I like the drive I may keep the boat ant put steering on it. There is no way this can last long with stock steering. The props are 31s and the motor is a 425 HP 383.

The top of the torpedo is 3+" above the bottom. The skeg on this thing is monstrous that must be why so much control. The steering is going to be the wild card. If I like the drive I may keep the boat ant put steering on it. There is no way this can last long with stock steering. The props are 31s and the motor is a 425 HP 383.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    possibly hit 6 digits
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Steve's boat had internal hydraulic steering, with -0- drive torque external is over kill. You are running 125HP with a lot of torque over a stock 350/300HP and only doing .6 faster than Steve, that should give you a pretty good idea of what you are giving up speed wise. Also the stern lift you develop having part of the bullet in the flow makes for poorer handling at top end. I had just a hair over 1/4" of the very bottom below the bottom, over 4000 the lift was noticeable.

What is your ratio on the drive.mine is a 1:50 and also a 383with 400+.what kind of cost would you look at raising the x on the boat.

This could be interesting! For example my 16 with the bh has run 84.4 with a monster sbc. On yours sould be good for 5 or 6 mph. .

Quote Originally Posted by craigdskilling View Post
    What is your ratio on the drive.mine is a 1:50 and also a 383with 400+.what kind of cost would you look at raising the x on the boat.
    You would have to pull the engine and drive, fill in the current cut out then re-cut it to 17-1/2". If you do it cost is minimal but a fair amount of work, having it done it would quite expensive, just a guess around $2,500. Look at it this way you could put the same $$ in your engine and not come near the same top end. Don Tamm built a radical big $$ engine pumping around 500hp and did not hit triple digits in his 18, he pretty much knew he was giving up on top end but did not want to make the boat a single purpose boat. I disagreed with single purpose, if the boat is modified for the BH you can still run a Bravo drive. It will still perform better than the same HP setup at the stock 15-1/2". It is similar to running a 2" shortie. Anytime you raise the X you gain top end, also raising the X helps to reduce porpoising.

One other problem with raising the X is then the engine would be sticking out of the hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
    One other problem with raising the X is then the engine would be sticking out of the hatch.
    Quite true, Steve had a very nice raised section with a scoop in the front, leaving the X at 15-1/2 you might as well run an SS that will run faster than a low BH. Rootsy proved that with a pumped 350 that was not making near the hp you or Younger are!

Thread Information