Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When exactly did Donzi sell to OMC?

When exactly did Donzi sell to OMC?

I recently bought an 89 f-23 center console,and the boat was built in late summer of 88.I need to recheck the hull # but I think it was july or aug.1988 build date.Actually still have orig MSO papers.Would that be the old donzi company?I thought the sell to omc was later than that.It is built pretty tough,and no stress cracks anywhere.The decks and interior gel compounded and waxed up great.Hull sides are getting paint,original yellow.

I believe they started in 1987 and sold in 1993. If I'm wrong I bet somebody will chime in.
    1976 Hornet with big block chevy --- contemplating the name "Money Hemorrhager"

" A funny thing is if you're out hiking and your friend gets bit by a poisonous snake, tell him you're going for help, then go about ten feet and pretend YOU got bit by a snake. Then start and argument about who's going to get help. A lot of guys will start crying. Thats why it makes you feel good."
    Jack Handey - Deep Thoughts

OMC Years
    1988 - 1992

Donzi Website History

http://donzimarine.com/History/1988_1992.html

Our Model List here is different
    OMC 88-94

http://www.donzi.net/forums/easy_pages.php?p=2

I think the lines are pretty well blurred for 1988. They certainly used up all of the old hardware, engines, etc. so it didn't seem to take full swing until the later years. All of the 1988's I have seen look like they are built to the same specs as '87 and prior. The early 90's boats is when you start seeing the obvious cheapening of the hardware and some of the techniques used.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    I think the lines are pretty well blurred for 1988. They certainly used up all of the old hardware, engines, etc. so it didn't seem to take full swing until the later years. All of the 1988's I have seen look like they are built to the same specs as '87 and prior. The early 90's boats is when you start seeing the obvious cheapening of the hardware and some of the techniques used.
    If by cheap Hardware you mean the plastic vs metal vents for the Engine Bay, I think that happened in 1994.

My 1993 has the full metal chromed vents, in fact a week or so ago it came back from a Veteran Glass Shop, the guys could not believe the boat was as old as it was. Their comment was that Chris Craft built one of the more structually sound hulls for that model given what they have seen since and today.

But all that aside, if you take care of what you got - it can look good for years to come.

Danny
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

My 1989 Z-33 that might be a "Donz-Chris-Craft"

I'm sure there are those with better information; but, as far as I know, the sale of the Donzi Marine Racing (called in those days) was made in June of 1988. I went down to the plant in August of that year; because I had heard that they were selling off the Donzis on the back lot that were already built. Indeed, that was the case, and I saw many Donzis and even more Regazzas. I was not able to fork out the $$ for a "newly built boat"; but, it was just fun to go see them. There were still Donzi boats on the production line and even though the OMC corporation was changing this "state of the art" plant to build Chris Crafts; but, until the Donzi hulls and parts in house were gone, they built the last of the Donzi's.

I purchased my 1989 (built in August, 1988) Z-33 ten yeras ago. I have often thought that if I had known the future, my boat was probably on that lot that day I was there in August of 1988. So, let's see, it would be a Donzi built in a Chris Craft factory by OMC empoyees installing Mercury 454 Gen-6 engines. Hence, my "Donzi - Chris Craft - Mercury - OMC" boat ....
    .........Boats are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

I'm sure there are those with better information; but, as far as I know, the sale of the Donzi Marine Racing (called in those days) was made in June of 1988. I went down to the plant in August of that year; because I had heard that they were selling off the Donzis on the back lot that were already built. Indeed, that was the case, and I saw many Donzis and even more Regazzas. I was not able to fork out the $$ for a "newly built boat"; but, it was just fun to go see them. There were still Donzi boats on the production line and even though the OMC corporation was changing this "state of the art" plant to build Chris Crafts; but, until the Donzi hulls and parts in house were gone, they built the last of the Donzi's.

I purchased my 1989 Z-33 (built in August, 1988) ten years ago. I have often thought that if I had known the future, my boat was probably on that lot that day I was there in August of 1988. So, let's see, it would be a Donzi built in a Chris Craft factory by OMC empoyees installing Mercury 454 Gen-6 engines. Hence, my "Donzi - Chris Craft - Mercury - OMC" boat ....
    .........Boats are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

makes sense, I bet mine was sitting back there too...aug '88 F-23 center console outboard, rigged with a 225 Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dan View Post
    If by cheap Hardware you mean the plastic vs metal vents for the Engine Bay, I think that happened in 1994.
    My 1993 has the full metal chromed vents, in fact a week or so ago it came back from a Veteran Glass Shop, the guys could not believe the boat was as old as it was. Their comment was that Chris Craft built one of the more structually sound hulls for that model given what they have seen since and today.
    But all that aside, if you take care of what you got - it can look good for years to come.
    Danny

I, like Danny, have a 1993 Donzi by Chris Craft...It is as solid as can be... and it is not cheaply built. OMC also owned Chris Craft in this time period. In fact I just purchased a new old stock (NOS) King Cobra outdrive. The earlier models, I'm not familiar with, but the 1993's are the best built Donzi's ever.
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Eller View Post
    I, like Danny, have a 1993 Donzi by Chris Craft...It is as solid as can be... and it is not cheaply built. OMC also owned Chris Craft in this time period. In fact I just purchased a new old stock (NOS) King Cobra outdrive. The earlier models, I'm not familiar with, but the 1993's are the best built Donzi's ever.

You bought that drive in FL? Goddamn you, I need that.
    1982 18' 2+3
    SOLD - 1990 22' Classic, ATS Racing built 466 Ford, OMC King Cobra Hump back

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouLou View Post
    What? Why in the world would you say something like that?
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    502 King Cobra...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Eller View Post
    What? Why in the world would you say something like that?
    I bought my "New" outdrive June 20th...I just don't understand why you would cuss me???
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    502 King Cobra...

What da heck CaribouLou Barry even mentioned back in June with this post
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ht=bought+wife
    Hopefully you ment it all in was all in jest.
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt. H. View Post
    What da heck CaribouLou Barry even mentioned back in June with this post
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ht=bought+wife
    Hopefully you ment it all in was all in jest.

I didn't mean anything by it. Want to sell me your "old" drive?
    1982 18' 2+3
    SOLD - 1990 22' Classic, ATS Racing built 466 Ford, OMC King Cobra Hump back

I didn't mean anything by it. Want to sell me your "old" drive?
    I don't have an old or extra OMC K.C. drive, but I do have two extra Mercruiser Alpha-l

What happened to the post you had regarding the OMC KC drive unit you found in Mich?
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

Thread Information