Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine S/N not matching hull year?

Engine S/N not matching hull year?

I have a question regarding serial numbers. I am going to look at a 22 classic this weekend. Its a 1996 with a carb 454 mag. The seller has taken extensive high resolution picutres. In one of the pictures I can actually read the serial numbers off the flame arrestor cover. When I look the serial number up it shows as being a 1992-1994 454 mag. Is it common to have a motor 2 years older than the hull? He says everything is original.

Thanks.
    Kris

Thumbs up

Many times new marine engines sit around the marine engine builders warehouse or at the boatbuilder waiting to be installed in a boat depending on orders that come in.
    Sometimes builders buy engines in quanity batches.

I would not worry about it as it is most likely the original engine that came with the boat.
    I'd believe him if he was the boat's original owner.
    Last edited by silverghost; 06-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

That makes sense. 2 years just seemed like a long time to me.

Also, anyone know the difference between a 1992-1994 454 mag and a 1995-1996 454 mag? The site I looked at for serial numbers: http://www.sterndrive.info/mercruise...ence_help.html
    had them listed seperate, but they are both Gen V 454's. Is there any difference as far as anyone knows?

you can also decode the hull to see when it was built. I think Merc goes by calendar year, where Donzi runs model years mid year. Meaning, the '96 you are going to look at could have been an early production boat, built in mid 1995, and the engine could be a late 1994 build only giving a few months difference in the build dates.

Sometimes the engines are the same but listed differently by years because of changes to the setup. For instance, Merc changed the fuel system in the 502s around 96, from a VST to Cooled Fuel.

It is most likely this kind of change. Looking at diagrams, they changed the oil filter/oil cooling systems between 94 and 95.

The setups are grouped by years, but most importantly by serial numbers

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

excellent info, thanks guys.

How about performance of that motor in general? Any thoughts or opinions? 365 horse should get a 22 classic moving pretty well I would think.

yes it is not uncommon. the marine industry from what i was told. they buys last years motors at a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by kcraig99 View Post
    excellent info, thanks guys.

How about performance of that motor in general? Any thoughts or opinions? 365 horse should get a 22 classic moving pretty well I would think.
    Realistic 70 MPH. might squash more out of it in the right conditions after you get some seat time... if the engine is still pumping out all 365 horsies. After all, at 15+ years old it's no spring chicken, so it might be a bit tired.

speaking of a bit tired...it has 500 hours on it! That seems high, but not "don't buy me" high. I don't think he's had a complete rebuild. If I go through with it, I am with the full expectation of needing to do a freshening up over the winter. To me, 500 hours represents a pretty serious drop in asking price, but something tells me he isn't thinking the same way. I gotta figure that its gonna need bearings, seals, gaskets, and lifters replaced at the very least. Anything major I may be missing? Pistons and rings?

K.craig99,
    It shouldn't need any of those major internal rebuild items.
    I have somewhere in the mid 700 hr's on my 1993 454 that's in my 27ft Chris Craft sport cruiser and it doesn't burn a drop of oil or have any loss of power regarding mph from when it was new and still idles rock smooth steady and quiet, so if what you're looking at has been well maintained looks and runs good I wouldn't worry or bat an eye at 500 hr's or you'll be risking insulting the owner if you try using that to bargain the price since he's to original owner but you're in a better position to determine that.
    Remember if you ran your car continuously at 60 mph non-stop for 500 hr's you would only be @ 30,000 miles or 2-1/2 yr's old, of course the average auto/truck runs at about 2000 rpm's @ 60 mph where the average boat engine usually cruises around 3000 rpm's but is not subjected to the same high heat stress a land vehicle is subjected to and so I wouldn't consider 500 hr's high hours until you're in the mid teens.
    That's why you should ocean or lake test it once you strike a general deal, just my opinion others may vary.
    Good Luck,
    WH
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

Don't worry about 500 hours. That's 33 hours per year, not out of line. I think it will run a little under 70.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

For sure I did the math. 500 divided by 15 years old isn't bad. It is a bit of a bargaining chip in my opinion though. To be considered pristine it would have to have 100-200hrs in my opinion. I love the 22 classic but I think everyone selling one thinks they have a 67 Shelby GT500 or something. I think I'll own it on Sunday though (I hope anyway)

Thanks again guys. This is a great forum!

Quote Originally Posted by kcraig99 View Post
    For sure I did the math. 500 divided by 15 years old isn't bad. It is a bit of a bargaining chip in my opinion though. To be considered pristine it would have to have 100-200hrs in my opinion.
    If it only had 100 to 200 hr's on it I'd be concerned more about it's condition because it would mean it spent many years unused, where as it's healthier for all the mechanical parts to be moved lubed and used at least a little every year.
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

my brother had over 1000 hours on his 22 with the original 454/330hp. he pulled it and all it needed was a valve job. taken care of they will last. and this was 100% salt water use

Soooo....is $15k an insult? Boats not perfect by any means. Little dings here and there.

Thread Information