Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 22 classic info for newbie please...

22 classic info for newbie please...

Hello im new to the registry and this is my first post. Also im fairly new to donzi. I am looking into getting a used 22 classic and other than knowing they are great timeless boats im kind of lost. My budget would be in the 20 to 30k range on the high side. What would be considered the best motor drive combo for solid performance and reliability? ive only had expirence with outboards in the past so all these different drive, prop, tab, eng combos are a bit overwhelming. I have been doing some reading on here and everyone seems friendly and very knowledgable. Any time and advice you could give a newbie and hopeful donzi owner would be much appreciated. Thanks.... P.S ive been to the donzi webiste and other than pics they diidnt give much info im one of those research nuts that studies for months before i make a decision so trying to play catch up one the recent history of the 22 well the history in my price range .. please suggest any reading i may do.. thanks again sorry this was so long..

You should be able to find a nice 22 with your budget. For $5k more George's 22 project would be incredible. His boat will be better than a new one in my humble opinion.

Where are you located at? In that price range you can find a lot of boat for a 22C if you know where to loo. I know of 2 or 3 in the NW are that are all very clean and vert fast 22C's. When making a purchase like this, if you keep an open mind about how far you're willing to go for the boat you want, it will pay off in the long run. PM me if you want any info on the ones in my area.
    Donzi 18C
    Donzi 25 ZX "Full Tilt F/B "

have you set your sights on hull and deck configuration? a location would be helpfull here in local_to_you searches for you
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Welcome to the board........
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Welcome: Big block 502 with a Bravo drive. Shoot for a fresh water boat . Do not buy a boat that does not have closed cooling.Also Hydraulic external steering is a plus. Later 1994 and up *Note at some point the stringer location had been moved and created some stress cracking. These boats needed to be reinforced in the motor compartment.The repair should have been completed by Donzi as a recall, but I believe they only did the boats that people came forth and complained.
    This is not a problem to deter you from buying those years it just needs to be addressed for longevity.Carl C "A.K.A.: 3rd childhood" Has this set up and is extremely happy with his 22.

The ride in a Classic takes a little seat time ,to get the hang of the steep roll. Especially off plane in a turn. Avoid getting on plane with boat wakes as it can trip the boat, and will scare the living life out of you. All this comes in time, and remember the trim button is your friend.

Good luck with you purchase hope this enlightens you a little
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Guys im in the florida panhandle destin/ ft walton beach area.. i have only seen a 16 classic and really would like the larger 22.. im thinking about buying next season as summer is in full swing here.. and this will give me time for a good search.. the info about the recall is all good stuff to know what to look for on these boats and what is considered the best setup from the factory i know thats all relative to each person but just good general knowledge.... the boat will run primarily in salt water in our bays around here...

additionaly does anyone know what year the stringer issue was resloved?

Welcome to the hunt.

A little feedback for you to consider:

The 1995-2001 454 and 502 American Marine Holdings boats are my favorites, and I am a little biased, because I own a 2001. They are well built, every year they got a little better in glass quality, and I like the stainless windshield frame for appearance reasons. They are all gel boats, which is more durable than the paint used in later iterations, and the the 454 and 502 engines have scores of upgrade options. One key "Like" for me, is that I have never had to use the tabs on this boat for any reason, so the handling is very neutral, even now with big power under the hatch and some extreme speeds.

The post 2001 boats had to have the stringers set further apart as an adjustment for the 496 and 496HO package. This is what is being referenced as "stringer" boats. There were voids under some of the stringers in these boats, and they cracked. Notice, I said "some" of these boats, not all. Some are very nice examples and have not had to be touched for this issue. I have seen other quality issues with these boats, too, but it applies to some, not all. The 496 is not as easy to modify, period. And these boats all seem to require more tab to run. There are fine examples of these boats out there, but I would certainly take a harder look at one of these, especially in the bilge and the bottom under the engine.

Good luck with the search. And come run with us, when you get a boat in the shed!

thanks great info

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    Welcome to the hunt.
    The 1995-2001 454 and 502 American Marine Holdings boats are my favorites, and I am a little biased, because I own a 2001.
    I own a 2004. If I could do it over again, these are the years I would look at. The 496 boats just don't seem to handle as well. Much more tab control needed.

If looking at 454 boat, personally I would make sure it is the 385hp Mag model. These engines are stronger and a better base if you decide you need more hp.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Nice looking, clean boat!
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

well seems like im norrowing it down 2001 502 sounds like what i need prob in the price range as well.... would anyone care to explain closed cooling .. im assuming it uses freash water not salt water in salt water out ....

Closed Cooling

Closed Freshwater cooling use a Heat Exchanger & two pumps where an antifreeze mixture is circulated in the engine itself, just like your car; while the raw or saltwater only runs trough the heat exchanger's tubes.
    This keeps the costly engine's water jacket corrosion & rust at bay.
    Engines last much much longer with FWC closed systems.

There are two typs of Freshwater cooling systems.
    1) Full systems cool both the engine & exhaust manifolds with antifreeze.
    Only the exhaust elbow risers are subjected to raw or salt water.

2) 1/2 systems cool only the engine itself with antifreeze; while both exhaust manifolds & riser elbows are raw , or saltwater cooled.
    The exhaust manifolds & exhaust elbow risers are thus considered expendable replacment items.

80% of the freshwater cooling closed heat exchanger antifreeze systems on fast speedboats are only 1/2 systems.

I do 95% of my boating in saltwater.
    I would not own any inboard boat without a closed Freshwater Cooing System.
    Last edited by silverghost; 06-19-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Thread Information