Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigarette 20 Project

Cigarette 20 Project

The boat is a 1979 Cigarette 20. It's my cousin's boat. He was interested in a Cigarette 20 and I found this one on craigslist. He bought it in June of 2012, and finally got it after a really hectic experience. I'll tell him to join this site so that he can explain the nightmare that ensued after purchasing the boat, and so he can post pictures and explain everything.

It had a 454/TRS combo. It managed 56MPH (GPS).

The boat was a saltwater boat so many of the metal furnishings were somewhat corroded. It did come with a brand new interior.

Enough backstory, time for what's gonna happen:
    -New paint job (attached) (page 9)
    -496HO/Bravo 1X
    -Teak dashboard and all teak trim will be removed.
    -The intakes on the powerdome (What the hatch bump is known as) are teak. The same style circle dowel things are also just under the rear seat. They will be removed and the front of the powerdome (or at least part of it) will have a grille placed over it.
    -New gauges
    -New cleats will be added on either side of the front of the windshield.
    -New steering wheel
    -new fuel tank
    -New audio system
    -280S K-Planes
    -Hydraulic steering
    -Getting rid of foot throttle

Those are the big things- there are a lot of smaller things that I won't bother mentioning and I'm sure as the project progresses we'll notice the extra work that we'll have to do.

I have a lot of pictures already (the project began last weekend). I'll put those in a new post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RockyS18; 05-30-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    Donzi 22' Classic

The boat will have to be stripped down to the hull to be painted. The engine will be removed tomorrow. There's one pic where it looks like my cousin is playing air guitar on the bow of the boat; he is actually reaching down to pick up a screwdriver haha. In that picture the camera is looking through one of the wooden dowel things removed from the hatch which gave it a cool effect.

Last edited by RockyS18; 11-26-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Dude ( Rocky ) , awsome boat and congrats ..........................thank you for sharing , and keep us posted because your boat is one of my all time favorite ride's .

looks great love the old 20cigs this is what gets us thur winter
    mario

Update:

Engine is out!

Sorry for the low-quality images, we forgot the digital camera.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Great - keep 'em coming.

I also like the overhead shot of the Cig and your 22 at the dock.

Maybe in the spring we can line up a 14, 16, 18, 19 (Hornet), 20 (Cig) and 22 for some cool shots.

"Maybe in the spring we can line up a 14, 16, 18, 19 (Hornet), 20 (Cig) and 22 for some cool shots." -jl1962

I like the idea Jay.

Next update should be this weekend.
    Donzi 22' Classic

looks good

whats the idea with the 496?

i am sure it will work just fine but these boats (from what I have seen) can handle a hell of alot more HP if you wanted to
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

Great looking project and cool boat. It is interesting to see 2 wells in the engine room with a bbc? What year is your boat and did it come with a bbc? I was curious seeing the large access panel behind the back seat. All the 20's that I have seen are solid and some have had a access panel cut by the owners. My 20 with bbc has a well on the port side and a access panel chopped behind the rear seat. It is a challenge to get the motor out and must be a real pain to work on the motor with both wells in place. Please keep the photos coming and thanks for bringing back to life a "classic, awesome boat"!
    I have enclosed a photo of my cleaned up 20' Cigarette engine room before installing the motor and demonstrating the blue LED's that I installed under the deck, on all 4 sides. I made some cool mounting blocks to allow me to attach the LED light bars without drilling any holes. Thought you might enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by glashole
    looks good

whats the idea with the 496?

i am sure it will work just fine but these boats (from what I have seen) can handle a hell of alot more HP if you wanted to
    The 496 is going to have some performance work done to it.

Quote Originally Posted by rr1048
    Great looking project and cool boat. It is interesting to see 2 wells in the engine room with a bbc? What year is your boat and did it come with a bbc? I was curious seeing the large access panel behind the back seat. All the 20's that I have seen are solid and some have had a access panel cut by the owners. My 20 with bbc has a well on the port side and a access panel chopped behind the rear seat. It is a challenge to get the motor out and must be a real pain to work on the motor with both wells in place. Please keep the photos coming and thanks for bringing back to life a "classic, awesome boat"!
    I have enclosed a photo of my cleaned up 20' Cigarette engine room before installing the motor and demonstrating the blue LED's that I installed under the deck, on all 4 sides. I made some cool mounting blocks to allow me to attach the LED light bars without drilling any holes. Thought you might enjoy!
    Thanks for the pics! The boat is a 1979 and did come with a big block along with a 330TRS from the factory. Since there are two wells a previous owner must have cut out the access panel when doing engine work; when we took the engine out we noticed many performance parts. There was also a heavy duty aluminum engine cradle which I don't believe was from the factory.

I'd love to see some more pics of your Cig 20 and the work you did to it if you get a chance.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Hi everyone, I guess its about time I introduced myself. I've been a long time lurker, and I think this might actually be my first post! I'd like to thank Rocky for posting some great photos as we work on pulling my new to me Cig 20 apart this winter!

I had been in love with Cig 20's for sometime when Rocky found the boat that I ended up buying on -- of all places -- craigslist. I snapped up the boat as quickly as possible, and had her shipped from FLA to upstate NY, with a detour in a New Jersey Turnpike Impound (note to self, NEVER use that shipping company AGAIN). Nevertheless, the baby cig finally found its way to Lake George, on a very unfortunately rainy weekend. That said, we found some time in the afternoon to launch, and took her out for the first time. The boat was pretty much ready to go as delivered, and we had a BLAST. I made sure to take the week off for 4th of July, and put about 15 hours on that week alone! The little cig is a fantastic machine, took a while to get used to it can be very sensitive at times, but honestly a great boat. In many ways the boat was in great shape, save for an increasing amount of slack in the steering line.

With that said, the boat was a project from the beginning, and was purchased with that in mind. We spent a good deal of time this summer planning out the winter project, designing the new paint scheme, etc. Finally its time to get going and the first order of business is tearing the boat apart until its little more than a hull! As Rocky outlined in his initial post there are quite a few things to address.

Thanks again to Rocky for starting this thread, and thanks to everyone who has posted thus far. I'm very much looking forward to the work ahead of me this winter, almost as much as I'm looking towards the end result! We'll try to keep as much information on this thread as possible, and please, I welcome everyone to chime in as much as possible with any and all advice you may have!!

@glashole:

I would agree with you, I've seen a lot of Cig 20's handle a great deal of power, and handle it very well. The biggest reason for the 496 is mostly budget. I'm trying to do as much as possible to the boat within reason.

Rocky's 22 Classic has been powered by a 496 to the upper 70's, and I know of one particular Cig 20 that has the same package powering it to 78+. The Cig 20 is a decent amount lighter than the 22 Classic, so I'm quite sure the 496 will provide a great deal of performance, and a HUGE improvement over the current power.

@glashole:

I agree with you, I've seen a great deal of other 20's handle a good amount of power and handle it well. However, I'm trying to do as much of this project as I can within reason, and I have a 496 that is available!

Rocky's 22 Classic is powered by a 496 and regularly see's the upper 70's. I know of another Cig 20 that is powered by the same package and has seen 78+. Trying to stay within budget, but certainly looking for some performance! I'm sure the 496 will be a huge improvement over the current power

Welcome to the Registry and thanks for sharing the resto project.

Hope to see it in the spring.

@rr1048

To be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure about the stock motor, and the more and more I think about it, I don't think the current motor was what the boat shipped with from the factory. As you pointed out, your boat with the BBC has only 1 well in the engine compartment...I've actually seen this on a couple other 20's as well. Like Rocky mentioned, the 454 had an aftermarket carb and intake, and a cradle that didn't look stock at all.

It seems that a previous owner upgraded the power to the 454, and decided to leave the wells intact. To make squeezing the motor in possible, they had to cut out a portion than you can see in the photos. It was a pain taking out the motor with the wells intact, but would have been damn near impossible to do without that cutout!

rr1048, you're cigarette looks great from the few shots i've seen! I'd love to see more photos if you'd be happy to share, and let me know what kind of work you did/what you would recommend. Also love the LED's you put int he engine bay, I may have to do something similar, truly looks AMAZING!

Thread Information