Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bored and don't know what to do...?

bored and don't know what to do...?

...take your 3D-software and build a 16.... I think this was a quiet good performance, so I put it under performance talk...

Greg, any mods you want me to apply?
    No, no outboard conversion please...

.................................................. .................

Axel, add some cup holders to your boat!
    Nice red powdercoated cup holders!
    It'll add some bling too.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Axel make it an OB, then a bench seat but mounted all the way back, right against the splashwell
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Ok, I had to get the OB weedeater out there LOL ..........

I was going to do a deck that had the bench seat all the way back with center steering, and then two hatched rumble seats, single row, large one , then smaller on in front of the larger one. Then a got a hold of my craziness and did Surface Tension instead

Yeah what Greg said ...Ed

I always wondered Ed what a "long deck" 16 would look like. The dual single rumble hatches would allow one adult and one kid to take a ride.

Wow !

Axel~
    This could open-up a complete new job/career opportunity as a "Custom Speedboat Designer" ?
    I'm with Greg~
    We both would like to see several new Gentleman's speedster/racer benchseat designs on the Donzi 16, 18 & Hornet or 21 GT.
    Keep those great designs comming & hire a few fiberglass & wood guys to make some hull & deck plugs & molds. You would soon find yourself in the Custom High-End Speedboat business.

I can see it now~

"Kloehn-Kraft"
    High-Performance Custom Design Speedboats
    Hand Crafted In Germany To The Very Highest World Class German Performance & Custom Design Standards !

I would be your USA East Coast Dealer & first customer ~
    Can you find a way to stuff an Ilmor Viper V-10 in one of your custom designs like Mr.-X has just posted on Donzi-org ? Did you see his boat's photos that were just posted there ?
    What a Fantastic boat his Ilmor~Viper V-10 is !
    Last edited by silverghost; 06-11-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

thanks guys, I might play with the hull next week, it is a good base to check some design modifications.

George: I have a spot with a spider crack in my cockpit at the port side where the armrest used to be, I already think about do some kind of an moulded cupholder there, of course with axelkloehn-custom-design

Brad: I like the name kloehn-kraft, never thought about a name like this, deal on you being my first customer and eastcoast dealer.

I very often think about building my own design speedboat, but the market in germany is small and gas-consuming V8s are not the most desired engines anymore, they all go for diesel thanks to our gas-prices

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by axelkloehn View Post
    thanks guys, I might play with the hull next week, it is a good base to check some design modifications.

George: I have a spot with a spider crack in my cockpit at the port side where the armrest used to be, I already think about do some kind of an moulded cupholder there, of course with axelkloehn-custom-design

Brad: I like the name kloehn-kraft, never thought about a name like this, deal on you being my first customer and eastcoast dealer.

I very often think about building my own design speedboat, but the market in germany is small and gas-consuming V8s are not the most desired engines anymore, they all go for diesel thanks to our gas-prices

i ofter thought about putting a electric fork lift motor in a 16 classic..remove the fuel tank and put the battery pack up their and instead of the center stripe carve it out and put one long solar panel to charge the battery where the center stripe would be..The down side, would be to some how isolate the electric power from getting electrocuted..

Lightbulb Diesel Donzi ?

Axel~
    About 15 years ago I seem to remember Yanmar Corp. putting a small high performance marine Diesel in a new Donzi hull as a test-bed.
    As I remember it had fairly good performance.

Does anyone else remember this Yanmar Diesel test?
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

I remember that diesel project. I have wondered why this idea never went anywhere. Perhaps it is just our love affair with V8 performance engines.

With torque being what boats need, and torque being what diesel engines excel at, it would seem like a great match. If I remember correctly, Fabio Buzzi (sp?) did very were well on the offshore circuit years ago campaigning a diesel powered boat. Common rail engines have produced huge improvements in the performance of diesels as well as really cleaning them up.

I think it would be great to put a small diesel in a Classic and have something that could cruise all day long at 80% - 90% load, with great fuel economy.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

I think you'll find several reasons why diesels haven't become so popular for sport boats, at least in the US.

Sound.
    For a sport boat, that's a lot of it for many people. Diesels just don't sound as good.

Perception.
    True or not, most people in the US are ignorant about diesel. Most still think of the diesels of the 70s and 80s and don't know anything about the current state of the art.

Price.
    Diesels have gotten much better over the years, but they haven't exactly gotten cheaper. And of course for that big torque at low RPM, you'll need some specialized running gear. Yanmar, Merc, and Volvo all put sterndrives behind diesels, but not in performance applications.

Diesels have gotten a lot better as regards performance applications with lighter weight, smaller packages, and higher RPM, but they still don't match gas engines in small performance boats. I also think you'd find the fuel mileage wouldn't be that much higher. Better, yes, but not double as many people think. I would guess 25% improvement, but with a corresponding loss of performance.

Of course, as you move up in size the more sense diesels make. By the time you get up to something around 40', diesel is a good option even with current power choices.

I would love to see some new diesel development though. Take the BMW 3.0 diesel as used in a cars like the 335d and 535d. That could be an interesting engine if marinized, and I'm sure there are other performance diesels on the roads in Europe that we don't get here that might make good platforms for smaller sport boats. It would certainly be interesting to try.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    i ofter thought about putting a electric fork lift motor in a 16 classic..remove the fuel tank and put the battery pack up their and instead of the center stripe carve it out and put one long solar panel to charge the battery where the center stripe would be..The down side, would be to some how isolate the electric power from getting electrocuted..
    No need to do all that. NetGain makes it all right out of the box.

This Edison uses twin Trans Warp 9's
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-8Ky_I_ak[/media]

http://www.go-ev.com/

NetGain Trans Warp 11 DC motor, comes with a drive shaft yoke

and they make a Warp 13

All Trax inc. makes the speed controller and software to run it

http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products.html
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Lightbulb

Donzi might give some thought to the Euro market offering hi perf diesel packages, who knows they could very well be viable in the US market also.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Lightbulb Diesel Donzi

That Yanmar Diesel powered Donzi Test-Bed was written-up in all the boating magazines in it's day.
    We actually saw it at the Atlantic City NJ In-Water-Boat-show.
    There were hourly ride demonstrations.
    It seemed to really move-out. The holeshot acceleration was not that great however.
    The boat also Did Not sound like a gasoline V-8 powered Donzi at all however.
    Yanmar had great hopes that this performance Diesel drive package would catch-on.
    It went nowhere however~
    Yanmar at this point in time was trying very hard to break into the diesel powered small boat market.
    They really pushed this idea at the time.
    When I asked the Yanmar salesman why demonstrate this power-package in a fast performance boat like a Donzi ?
    The reply was~
    If people see how really fast & light his Yanmar Diesel drive power package can really be ~~~They might seriously consider it on their next smaller boat purchase.
    I remember Dad asking what the price-premium would be with this new Yanmar Diesel power package over standard gasoline V-8 power.
    The Yanmar salesman kept avoiding a firm answer.
    His reply was something like~ We have yet to figure-out our sales-marketing "Price-point" for this brand-new Diesel drive package ?.
    Typical salesman BS when you wish to avoid giving an cost/price answer you KNOW the potential customer will not really like.
    I forget now which brand outdrive was actually coupled to this Yanmar marine diesel ? I often wonder what the outdrive's final drive gear ratio was to push that boat at near Gasoline V-8 speeds ?
    This Yanmar Diesel was an in-line turbocharged diesel engine. ;with a brand-new-at-this-time~~ electronic fuel management system.
    It also had a closed Freshwater Cooling System & polished stainless steel performance style wet exhaust.

With today's crazy $4.00+ /per-gallon fuel prices the Diesel might be worth another look ?

I believe Donzi itself was involved in this project also; to a smaller degree.
    Did Donzi ever offer this Yanmar diesel option in their smaller single engine speedboat line ?
    Did it ever go into limited production ?

Others may have a better memory on this old Yanmar Diesel/ Donzi experiment than I ?
    Check your old boating magazine archives~ If you still have them laying around somewhere ?
    Last edited by silverghost; 06-11-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Thread Information