Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freshwater cooling woes

Freshwater cooling woes

I ran into some issues recently and posted here for help so I thought I would follow up.

I found some water in my port side cylinders and ended up replacing my manifolds and risers recently.

Now upon filling my freshwater cooling system tank with water, the water started running right out of the port side exhaust without the engine running. So I pulled the sparkplugs on the portside and sure enough, water in them again.

Any thoughts on whats allowing the coolant side to run right into the cylinders on that port side and out the exhaust?

I dont know much about the cooling system on it other than its aftermarket. I've never had a freshwater system before.

Cracked head maybe?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Or, is there coolant (anti freeze) in the coolant side and what's running out is water and not coolant?
    It's not a very good idea to run water in the coolant side w/o anti freeze as it will start corroding immediately.
    But if it is water in the system, remove the manifold and try again and see if it happens again. It's more than likely a cracked head or head gasket.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

like George said something is definitely cracked..most likely a bad gasket or a crack in the cylinder head,,need more info of what you have for a engine..

Well we were running water in the coolant side to do the initial flush. The information I have on the cooling system says to pour soft or distilled water into the heat exchanger fill cap to flush any silicates or debris.

Problem is, it started running out the exhaust so we knew right away something was wrong.

The engine is a 5.7 that has an aluminum intake manifold and heads. It was in the boat that way when I bought it last summer.

I was thinking it was a head gasket. I guess I should saw more like "hoping" its a head gasket and not a cracked head.

Time to pull the head

It sounds like it's time to pull that head and check for any cracks.
    Could be a head gasket~
    But it really sounds like a cracked head to me.
    What did you have in that freshwater side over the winter ~~~
    Antifreeze ?

Was the engine winterized & properly freeze protected over the winter with antifreeze ?

Let's hope your engine block is not cracked .
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

What I did w/mine was to open and pour a gallon of antifreeze into a clean bucket. Fill the antifreeze container w/reverse osmosis water, distilled water, or deionized water and dump it into the bucket. Mix the antifreeze and pure water thouroughly, then pour it into the heat exchanger. Repeat as necessary. You'll end up w/excess coolant in the bucket, pour it into one of the antifreeze containers for topping up as necessary at a later time.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I don't think Aluminum heads crack. Maybe a head gasket (copper inserts) with a corrosion issue with the iron block. DJ
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Yeah it was anti-freeze in the coolant side, not water over the winter.

I will get started pulling the head on that side and start looking for damage.

Thanks again for all the help and replies.

We also suggested a few weeks ago that you might want to do a cylinder compression test.
    You may want to do this before pulling that head.

The boat yard may know much more than they actually told you ?

Sorry for all your engine troubles.
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Yeah I didnt get the compression test done yet. Keep waiting on my brother to get over here with his tester. I will make sure to get that done either tomorrow or Saturday before I pull the head.

Would the compression test differentiate between a head problem and a block problem?

@SilverGhost - Yeah Im wondering how much of this they knew and didnt say anything about. Then again, with quoting me $2000 to replace the manifolds/risers, I would probably not want to know what they would charge to go any further

[quote=RussJohnson;603695]

Would the compression test differentiate between a head problem and a block problem?

[/quote

A compression test would NOT tell if you have a head, block , or head gasket issue.
    You could not really tell from the test where your leakage is.
    But you would know for sure that the head must come off for more visual inspection.
    Go to any auto store~
    Compression gauges are very cheap.
    Why wait for your brother to finally arrive with his gauge.

Let's hope it is just a head gasket or one cracked head .

Aluminim heads can & do crack from freezing.
    Last edited by silverghost; 06-09-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

A compression wont tell you nothing but cylinder pressure or if their is compression getting into the water passages..your best bet would be to remove all the spark plugs and do a cooling system pressure test..this will lead you in the direction on where to look,if it were me i would be taking the engine apart for a visual inspection..you know it was not the manifolds or risers so it has to be a internal leak so doing all the rest of the tests would be a waste of time..

if it is a vortec style cylinder head with 8 intake bolts than their could be a crack in the cross over part of the intake manifold leaking water into the intake ports but doubtful,,when they crack under the carb they usually leak h2o in the oil as well..

A aluminum head will crack if it froze or of the engine got over heated really bad, start taking the engine apart..
    p.s.
    in order to do a cooling system test you will need a cooling system tester and pump that you would use on a car..take the 2 hoses going to the risers and remove them and loop the hose at the thermostat housing so you can pressurise the system..

Hydro-locked

Since we know that that exhaust manifold/riser was leaking badly into the head's exhaust ports~
    I've just got to wonder if the engine was turned-over with the starter while there was water actually IN the engine cylinders ?
    You also stated water squirted out of the sparkplug holes.~
    Water does not compress~
    Very bad things can happen in this stuation.

We also know that the starter itself was damaged on spring start-up and had to be replaced.
    It almost sounds like the engine hydro-locked and possibly cracked a casting.
    Head, block etc ?
    You should also check for possible cracked pistons whle that head is off.
    You just never know when a hydro-locked engine is turned over by a starter ?
    Very bad damage can happen in this situation.

Let's all hope for the best for you here~
    Last edited by silverghost; 06-09-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

How about a warped (aluminum) head. I seem to remember this as being a good possability if the engine is overheated......even once....OR.. the head was never properly torqued..OR maybe "Stress Relieved" after it was manufactured.

Compared to cast iron..Aluminum is very soft and would stretch, to a point, before cracking. Cast iron doesn't stretch. Cast aluminum....?? I am just a technical person..I would defer to Fixx and hands on experience. DJ
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Thread Information