Thread: Donzi Classic 18 Trailer question

Donzi Classic 18 Trailer question

I just purchased a Donzi 18 Classic and i am looking for advice on a good trailer for the boat.
    who make the best trailers for this perticular model, where do you get one and what is the pricing?
    i am looking to do a fair bit of trailering with the boat over time visiting various lake districts in Ontario and upper NY state etc.
    i notice a lot of trailers in pictures have 4 wheels instead of two (not sure the exact term). i gather the 18 classic weighs about 2700lbs which is fairly heavy for a 18' boat, my old 20' Hydrodyne only weighed about 2100lbs.
    looking forward to your advice.

My advice, tandem (dual axles, 4 tires) surge brakes break away tongue. I have a nice trailer but it's a single axle trailer with surge brakes but doesnt have break away tongue.
    Have the the bunks set up so as you have 4 total so it creates a cradle, 2 closer together to support the keel and 2 shorter ones spread further apart.
    I'm sure others will have opinions. And if your in salt an aluminum would be the way to go.
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Single axle is fine for short trips to the local lake, but if you were doing a lot of traveling then a tandem axle trailer with brakes on both axles is the way to go. It will ride better in tow as well & is safer on the highway. I personally am not completely sold on breakaway tongues, but they can be nice for storing in shorter spaces.

I am not sure where you are located. I am in NE PA.. I offer Venture, Phoenix & Myco trailers. If any of them may interest you feel free to give me a shout.

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations.com 570-639-2628

I just bought a 2011 Venture 5225 for my 22 Classic, At first I was pissed about CT mandating anything over 3k pounds needed brakes on both axles, But after towing it a reasonable distance and thru very hilly roads I'm happy to have the extra stopping power. I use a Tahoe z/71 and also a Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel and both seem to benefit from the extra braking capacity. The only thing I don't like it has a cheesy v-birth type peice to center the boat and it doesn't have anything to cradle/support the front.

I'm not sure what you are towing with, but the lower weight and low maintenance of an aluminum trailer is hard to beat over the long haul. Having a South Florida aluminum trailer under my 16 allows me to tow it with my ragtop.........and get 23mpg.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

try this. great trailers

http://www.pcbtrailers.com/ most of the LGDCC uses them they are custom built and tow like a dream.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Model Tire Beam Size Net Load
    3195S 14" 4 1/2 3070

http://www.rollsaxle.com/boat_trailers.htm

Model Tire Beam Size Net Load

W1960T 14" 4 1/2" 5220
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Those trailers from Performance look top notch Matty. I wonder what the difference in weight would be for galvanized versus aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Those trailers from Performance look top notch Matty. I wonder what the difference in weight would be for galvanized versus aluminum.
    it's been a while but the performance tandem trailer I had for the 16 went around 1200 lbs if I remember correctly. it was a great trailer. still is actually the marina the 16 lives at now is tight for room so every summer the trailers are stacked. my old ( now 13 yrs old)16 trailer is always the bottom on a 6-8 trailer stack.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Here's what mine looks like. It tracks great on the roads and the price is great. The only drawback with a steel trailer is NO SALT WATER... If you run in salt go aluminum.

Thumbs up trailer

I have the original trailer for my boat that I will be restoring soon. The trailer that my boat is sitting on will be going up for sale. The trailer is not old at all maybe used for two seasons.It has a single axle. I went with what my boat came with. No brakes You can see it in the pictures if you punch me up here on sight.

I really wish that Performance did Aluminum as I run salt and will have no choice. The other thing I would do is actually a "slide in" tongue.

Thread Information