Thread: Introduction and newbie questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Introduction and newbie questions

I’d like to introduce myself to the Donzi Registry. I’ve admired Donzi’s for over a decade and I finally made the leap to buying one, a 1970 18 2+3. It has a Holman Moody 351W with a Volvo Penta 250 outdrive. It had been owned by the same family and passed down from father to brother to brother, for almost 40 years. Garaged most of the time, nevertheless it is showing some age. Most photos make it look better than it is; the close-ups are more revealing. One of the brothers was a gear head who rebuilt the motor with performance parts so that it supposedly dyno’ed at 400 HP (is this plausible?) The other brother put less than 5 hours on the rebuilt motor before putting it up for sale. I put a bunch of high res photos on photobucket: http://s665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/ivypandas/Donzi

Before I get carried away trying to restore it, I plan on using it for the first season as is, to see if this boat is really what I imagine it to be.

Now for the newbie questions:

1) What should I do to the boat before using it? For example, should I change the engine and gear oils and/or the impeller?
    2) Is there only one impeller in the water cooling system, in the pump belt-driven by the engine, or is there another impeller in the stern drive, as in an outboard?
    3) How do I get the correct part number for the impeller(s) see photo of the pump?
    4) The Volvo Penta outdrive comes with a motor driven tilt mechanism. Why can’t this also be used as power trim? Will I wreck the mechanism if I use it in that way?
    5) How do I turn on the bilge blower? I think the blower might be broken. Which button on the dash is supposed to turn it on?
    6) I’ve been reading the forums and know that the original gas tanks will likely have to be replaced. If I don’t smell gas when the tank is full does that mean the tank is ok for the moment?
    7) I’ve done some mechanical work on cars (re-did an engine head, swapped transmissions, replaced Macpherson struts, etc.), so I’d like to work on my boat. Is there anyone in the Belfast, Maine (where the boat is) or Arlington, Massachusetts (where I live) area who also does their own work? I’d like to watch and learn the next time you work on your boat. First dumb question: How do you get the engine oil out? The dipstick tube looks awfully thin to suck the oil out of that orifice.
    8) I won’t ask any questions about props or gear lube. I’ve read the forum posts enough to know that these topics tend to ignite a lot of discussions. I’m not that much of a noob

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Davis
    Last edited by ivypandas; 06-06-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo correction

450rrrr Guest
    #7 oil removal is normally preformed with a pump.you may have a remote oil drain that will pull out of your rear drain.i had one of those type on a baja i had.im sure other people much more in the know on your boat will speak up.i really have no experence on the older boats...welcome..and good luck .

Nice boat.
    Welcome to the Board.

I can't speak to many of your questions but as an owner of a '67 Donzi:

Item 4 - Your Volvo ONLY has tilt, not trim. If you try to run it partially raised, you will wreck the tilt.

Item 5 - The blower switch should be to the left of the steering wheel. I don't see any pictures of your dash, but that's where it would be.

Item 6 - The tank is 41 years old, most of them are shot after 30 years. It is on borrowed time. Without a blower, I would be VERY careful......

Owners in your area will have to chime in, but one very knowledgeable restorer in Maine is Richard Weaver. Use the search function.

You should get yourself (and your Donzi) to an event (Lake George or Winnie), ask questions, take pictures, go for boat rides etc....

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jl1962 View Post
    Nice boat.
    Welcome to the Board.

I can't speak to many of your questions but as an owner of a '67 Donzi but:

Item 4 - Your Volvo ONLY has tilt, not trim. If you try to run it partially raised, you will wreck the tilt.

Item 5 - The blower switch should be to the left of the steering wheel. I don't see any pictures of your dash, but that's where it would be.

Item 6 - The tank is 41 years old, most of them are shot after 30 years. It is on borrowed time. Without a blower, I would be VERY careful......

Owners in your area will have to chime in, but one very knowledgeable restorer in Maine is Richard Weaver. Use the search function.

You should get yourself (and your Donzi) to an event (Lake George or Winnine), ask questions, take pictures, go for boat rides etc....

Good luck.

Thanks for the information and welcome. Regarding item 5, the only unlabeled button on the left of the steering wheel is a pull out knob. This that the switch you are talking about? Or maybe it is the one labeled 'Bilge', which I had assumed was the bilge water pump switch?

water pump info

By the way, I found 2 Jabsco water pump model numbers for vintage Donzi's on this forum: 1673-0003 (mattyboy's '68) and 11850-0711 (Moody Blu's 71). Neither of them look like the one on my engine.

the water pump doesn't look like a holman moody setup may have been replaced.

the HM setups usually were a crossover crank driven no belts and no recirc pump. the old HM pumps with the 45 degree offset are no longer available from jabsco. I would pull the pump and get whatever numbers are available on it.

the bilge pump and tilt are on a 3 way switches, the blower should be on a push pull switch, you'll need a multi meter and a helper to test for 12v at the blower connections. all of these switches were usually to the left of the wheel as jay said.

I have some jabsco and HM info if you get numbers I'll see what I can find out.

good luck with the boat .
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by ivypandas View Post
    I’d like to introduce myself to the Donzi Registry.
    Welcome to the board!

I’ve admired Donzi’s for over a decade and I finally made the leap to buying one, a 1970 18 2+3. It has a Holman Moody 351W with a Volvo Penta 250 outdrive. It had been owned by the same family and passed down from father to brother to brother, for almost 40 years. Garaged most of the time, nevertheless it is showing some age.
    Cool history.

1) What should I do to the boat before using it? For example, should I change the engine and gear oils and/or the impeller?
    A a minimum I would change the engine oil/filter, lower unit oil and water pump impeller, which is on the engine, and if it has a remote fuel filter I would change that too. What happens next depends on how old the gas is, and how it was stored (was treatment used)?

2) Is there only one impeller in the water cooling system, in the pump belt-driven by the engine, or is there another impeller in the stern drive, as in an outboard?
    Vintage Volvo outdrives do NOT have an impeller. The only one is in the pump you mention. The incoming water supply hose will be hooked to that pump. There is also a recirculation pump, but that should be fine.

3) How do I get the correct part number for the impeller(s) see photo of the pump?
    Hopefully, Mr Fixall will chime in on this one.

4) The Volvo Penta outdrive comes with a motor driven tilt mechanism. Why can’t this also be used as power trim? Will I wreck the mechanism if I use it in that way?
    As Jay mentioned, the electric motor hooked to the outdrive is a tilt only function. It is only designed to raise the lower unit when there is no load on it, for trailering/storing purposes. Putting pressure against it, will cause the outdrive to go back into its "run" position. The motor doesn't have enough "hold" power to keep the outdrive up while trailering. Most people either buy the Volvo bracket to keep the outdrive up, or tie a line around the end of the anti-cavitation plate up to the rear lifting eye to hold it up.

6) I’ve been reading the forums and know that the original gas tanks will likely have to be replaced. If I don’t smell gas when the tank is full does that mean the tank is ok for the moment?
    If you don't smell gas, that means it might not be leaking at the moment. I would use the boat, paying very careful attention to any strong gas smells. The tank is old, and care should be taken by being aware that it has the possibility to develop a leak.

7)First dumb question: How do you get the engine oil out? The dipstick tube looks awfully thin to suck the oil out of that orifice.
    There are several types of suction devises from places like West Marine and auto parts stores that are designed to suction the oil out through the dipstick tube. With the engine warmed up to temp, the oil is thin enough that it isn't a problem. I have been changing the oil this way for about 35 years. It takes maybe 3 to 5 minutes to withdraw 5 quarts of oil from each the 454 Chevys in our CARVER.

As you run the boat, I suspect you will find it different to run than many of the boats you might have been around. The 24 degree transom deadrise makes them turn a little more "enthusiastically" then most, but also lets them eat waves that will amaze you.

Enjoy, and congrats on your first Donzi!
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Cool rig! Do you know the hull number? Is the foil plate still on the rear bulkhead between the seats? Check the number on the drive, it should match the foil plate if it's there.

You've gotten some good answers from some very smart folks on the board. I don't recognize the pump. Mine is a Jabsco/Johnson on the crank. That looks like the pump I had on an old 318 Chrysler I formerly ran in a Trojan. I think it is Jabsco also.

You have a great boat, enjoy!

Jim
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Thread Information