Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New guy with questions about '69 Donzi Big Block?

New guy with questions about '69 Donzi Big Block?

Hello everyone, while I'm not new to the forum I am a new poster. I was wondering if any of you Donzi guru's can enlighten me with some information about my boat? I have had this Donzi in storage for the last 20yrs and not 100% sure what model (other than a 18ft classic) I have. I have yet to find the hull number, where can it be physically be found on the boat?

Thanks again for any information you can provide.

When I aquired the boat many years ago it miraculously it has all the original parts. The engine is a 1969 Chevy 427 Big Block along with the original BB water manifolds. I recently had the V-drive and velvet drive clutch rebuilt, the engine is next on the list.

Everything with the interior is there, just needs a little TLC.

The hull is in excellent shape, no major nicks or dings to be found.

Thumbs up Neat V-Drive

Most, if not all, of the V-Drive powered Donzi boats were Holman ~Moody Ford powered with 289,351 or the now rare Ford 427 Big Block side oilers.
    Since yours is now Big Block Chevy powered it was most likely converted over some years ago.

The OSCO aluminum bell-housing was most likely added at this time to do the engine swap.

Is that a Walter V-drive gearbox ?
    The originals were usually Casale V-Drive gearboxes.

Still~ A Great & rare V-drive early Donzi boat !
    Last edited by silverghost; 06-06-2011 at 01:19 AM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

the hull number on early boats is usually found written on the back side of the dash, or under the deck near the dash, and on the backing plate/block for the bow eye. there may be a foil tag in the back seat area too.the boat looks to have alot of work done to it. somethings can be assumed it is higher than hull 230 as it is not a barrelback and it is older than Nov of 72 if the transom is untouched and it has no HIN stamped on the upper right part of the transom. I would say a 68-70 model year.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Welcome! Congrats on getting the drive train rebuilt. Besides rebuilding the engine, what else do you plan to do to the boat?

Interesting boat, with perhaps an unfortunate history; the sides cut out of the cockpit tub, the floor cut up, the dash "redone" by covering over the original dash cutouts, and adding lots more gauges. The front seats appear to have been redone at some point.

I agree with Silverghost regarding the engine being replaced. I believe the boat was a V-drive from the factory, but someone replaced the engine along the way.

My eye jumped at the engine clam shell vents; I have never seen them installed facing each other like that.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Umm just a question? First off what I know about v-drives would fit in a thimble with room to spare. The engine pics, are the exhaust on backwards? Looks to me like the engine should be mounted reverse since it has a bellhousing and the v drive is towards the front of the boat? Just askin?
    1999 16 Classic Black on White

Quote Originally Posted by hdsadey View Post
    Umm just a question? First off what I know about v-drives would fit in a thimble with room to spare. The engine pics, are the exhaust on backwards? Looks to me like the engine should be mounted reverse since it has a bellhousing and the v drive is towards the front of the boat? Just askin?
    correct, the manifolds are just on there for mock up and are actually on backwards for how they would sit in the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    Welcome! Congrats on getting the drive train rebuilt. Besides rebuilding the engine, what else do you plan to do to the boat?

Interesting boat, with perhaps an unfortunate history; the sides cut out of the cockpit tub, the floor cut up, the dash "redone" by covering over the original dash cutouts, and adding lots more gauges. The front seats appear to have been redone at some point.

I agree with Silverghost regarding the engine being replaced. I believe the boat was a V-drive from the factory, but someone replaced the engine along the way.

My eye jumped at the engine clam shell vents; I have never seen them installed facing each other like that.
    I appreciate the info.

As far as future plans, I'm not exactly sure.

Considering the condition, what do you think it is worth?

And thanks again everyone, I appreciate the education.

Any idea what the boat is worth without the engine, but with v-drive/velbet drive clutch?

Could not find hull #, but located the stern drive # DM104.

Thanks guys

The V drive though suited for the BB application requires the floor to have a hump to accommodate the height. To me it is a finish it up as it has been started, to bring it back to original will require a lot. I can turn out to be a fun boat setup right, cleaned up and running someone will step up to the plate. Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey68 View Post
    Any idea what the boat is worth without the engine, but with v-drive/velbet drive clutch?

Could not find hull #, but located the stern drive # DM104.

Thanks guys
    Maybe $5K-7K, or more if the right person turns up.
    I've seen this package sell for that range in the past.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Ya know, new, built, Ford side oiler engines are available;

from here all the time;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/427-F...Q5fAccessories
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

anything under 8 would be great... but I would need an explanation on that blemish spot I see on the port side hull midship area..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    The V drive though suited for the BB application requires the floor to have a hump to accommodate the height. To me it is a finish it up as it has been started, to bring it back to original will require a lot. I can turn out to be a fun boat setup right, cleaned up and running someone will step up to the plate. Phil
    With an original style Casale V-Drive gearbox you might not need a foor hump ?

It would appear that at one point in time most of the original V-Drive equipment , along wih the engine was removed.

Still a very neat & fairly rare boat.
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    With an original style Casale V-Drive gearbox you might not need a foor hump ?

It would appear that at one point in time most of the original V-Drive equipment , along wih the Ford engine itself, was removed.
    Could the original Ford 427 side-oiler have gone into a reproduction Cobra kit Car.
    Many have been in fact been removed from boats for that very reason.

Still a very neat & fairly rare boat as it sits.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Thread Information