Thread: alpha one, over and out

alpha one, over and out

Sheared my upper gear set last night. So should I rebuild, replace

go used, or SE aftermarket ?

I'm thinking new gear kit.

What kind of tools are required in a rebuild?
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

I'm sure you're capable of rebuilding it Joe, but more than likely you'll end up rebuilding the whole thing.
    The 3 year SEI "no questions" warranty is hard to beat for the price.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I'm sure you're capable of rebuilding it Joe, but more than likely you'll end up rebuilding the whole thing.
    The 3 year SEI "no questions" warranty is hard to beat for the price.
    I was thinking the only things that would not be new, are the yoke and the carrier assembly.
    Plus, I can give my self a warranty. If it breaks I can fix it again.

Are the SEI as good as merc?

Joe, the argument is;
    "What got down into the lower?"
    "If I don't disassemble the lower and clean it, how long will it last?"

Check the prices of "Merc" parts and your time and compare it to the cost of the SEI.
    But if you insist, check the price of
    SEI parts.

BTW, if you do go w/SEI, you can still rebuild your old drive as the SEI is new and there's no core.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Joe, the argument is;
    "What got down into the lower?"
    "If I don't disassemble the lower and clean it, how long will it last?"

Check the prices of "Merc" parts and your time and compare it to the cost of the SEI.
    But if you insist, check the price of
    SEI parts.

BTW, if you do go w/SEI, you can still rebuild your old drive as the SEI is new and there's no core.
    George,
    I did the same thing along with twisting the vert shaft. I was told SEI is a cheaper alt than the replacement Alpha. However, I was warned about SEI being built in China and using inferior parts. Do you have any seat time with a SEI or know someone that has used this drive?

What max HP do you think you could get away with?

Got to admit the 3 year no question asked replacement warranty looks pretty good.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Joe, a bunch of "stuff" on NH craigslist. Get ya going during our 2 day heat wave

Quote Originally Posted by Jraysray View Post
    George,
    I did the same thing along with twisting the vert shaft. I was told SEI is a cheaper alt than the replacement Alpha. However, I was warned about SEI being built in China and using inferior parts. Do you have any seat time with a SEI or know someone that has used this drive?

What max HP do you think you could get away with?

Got to admit the 3 year no question asked replacement warranty looks pretty good.
    I put one on the Minx. They were very new on the market at that time and only had a one year warranty.
    It did very well. It had gear whine that disappeared after about 10 hours.
    I used it for about 2+ years before selling the boat.
    They're about half the price of a Merc product and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that they do well.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Nj

Thing is here in the North East is that our season is only about 4 to 5 months. My mechinac wont use or work with the SEI. 2 time he did use them he had bearing problems (made in China) and by the time the warranty parts came back nearly a month of tima was lost on our season. I would rather be safe than sorry and go with the Merc. Myself, Im going with a Bravo1
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

I think you can just replace the upper gear set for fairly little money and time.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Make sure you use the HD gear set in the upper. Take the lower apart to flush all of the metal out that got into it with the oil.

Going to need quite a few specialty tools to do it. Spanner wrenches, shimming gauges, way to get races in and out and to remove and press bearings. feeler gauges... Torque wrenches and a way to measure dynamic (rolling) torque.

In the lower you need, at a bare minimum, the spanner to get the hub nut loose, the puller to get the hub out and then a narrowed down 7/8 wrench to get the pinion nut off and a splined hex that fits on the vertical shaft to hold it while removing said nut. Watch out for falling needle bearings after removing the vertical shaft.

Reckon I probably forgot something in that list. Not a difficult job just requires the proper tools and don't think for a minute you can do it without them...

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
    Make sure you use the HD gear set in the upper. Take the lower apart to flush all of the metal out that got into it with the oil.

Going to need quite a few specialty tools to do it. Spanner wrenches, shimming gauges, way to get races in and out and to remove and press bearings. feeler gauges... Torque wrenches and a way to measure dynamic (rolling) torque.

In the lower you need, at a bare minimum, the spanner to get the hub nut loose, the puller to get the hub out and then a narrowed down 7/8 wrench to get the pinion nut off and a splined hex that fits on the vertical shaft to hold it while removing said nut. Watch out for falling needle bearings after removing the vertical shaft.

Reckon I probably forgot something in that list. Not a difficult job just requires the proper tools and don't think for a minute you can do it without them...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll whittle away at getting all the tools.
    I'm going to put a new upper in for now, and I have another lower.
    I can't afford to loose any Donzi time, over learning how to disassemble and reassemble a drive to get the right running torque

I definitely want to, and will learn how to do it. Once the Minx is going again I'll have the patience to do it right

SEI are NOT assembled in China. I have been to their plant near Tampa, FL first hand. While they may use many (all?) parts from China the assembly of the drive is done here, if that really makes any difference.

We put one on a F14 Donzi and it was a great decision. We did have a warranty claim, however as we noticed oil leaking out slowly. Since I was going to FL anyway at the time, I took the upper and lower to them (2 years after it was originally installed). They shipped it back within 5 days free of charge. They replaced the upper with a new one and, as a courtesy, replaced the water pump impeller and checked out the lower unit also.

When I took the drive out, I damaged the shaft that the hydraulic tilt cylinders mount to. I showed them the shaft and they replaced it for free. Apparently, even if you hit something and destroy the drive it is a "no fault" warranty and they will fix/replace it for free.

I'm a previous and will be a future customer.

Quote Originally Posted by rustnrot View Post
    SEI are NOT assembled in China. I have been to their plant near Tampa, FL first hand. While they may use many (all?) parts from China the assembly of the drive is done here, if that really makes any difference.

We put one on a F14 Donzi and it was a great decision. We did have a warranty claim, however as we noticed oil leaking out slowly. Since I was going to FL anyway at the time, I took the upper and lower to them (2 years after it was originally installed). They shipped it back within 5 days free of charge. They replaced the upper with a new one and, as a courtesy, replaced the water pump impeller and checked out the lower unit also.

When I took the drive out, I damaged the shaft that the hydraulic tilt cylinders mount to. I showed them the shaft and they replaced it for free. Apparently, even if you hit something and destroy the drive it is a "no fault" warranty and they will fix/replace it for free.

I'm a previous and will be a future customer.
    I've heard and read many comments like Tom's.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I've heard and read many comments like Tom's.
    I think their name is tarnished with negativity too.I think that is, in part, why they have a three year warranty. They're trying to polish there name by showing it is a rock solid product." Word a mouth"

I'll let you Know how it works out

merc upper gear housing

I have a couple 1.32 ratio alpha uppers.Been sitting around for a couple years may need seals.They are in good condition.let me know if interested.

Thread Information