Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick and Quiet exhaust

Quick and Quiet exhaust

Just pulled the 502 to replace the coupler. Been 3 years since the rebuild and this is the only issue since.

Now that I have the engine out, I am rethinking earlier decisions.

My question, what are your feelings on keeping the Q&Q? Should I leave it alone or remove it and the Y pipe and make much more room for myself, in the back of the engine.

I rarely have occasion to use it in quiet mode as the engine is not that loud.

I think I asked this question years ago, but can't remember what enticed me put it back.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Leave it if its working with the noise laws today, it would be a nice feature if you ever sell.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsdls View Post
    Leave it if its working with the noise laws today, it would be a nice feature if you ever sell.
    I concur..
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

I'll tell you my feelings. When I am on the big (Great) lakes my transom takes a lot of waves and having those Y pipes gives me some peace of mind that any water that might get past my internal flappers will run down the Y pipe and can't get over the hump into the engine. I only use it once in a while like idling around a marina where they wouldn't appreciate the loud exhaust.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I like mine. If I change anything, I'm either changing the tips or gutting the Corsa tips so it's either loud or quiet instead of moderate or quiet.

A also think the Q&Q is a nice addition. Are you going to use the heavy duty Bravo coupler? Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

I like them and really nice to have when you need them.
    They only add about 15-20#.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by jdsdls View Post
    Noise isn't a big issue. Boat has mufflers.

Wasn't necessarily going to sell it. Could keep it for the next owner.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    I'll tell you my feelings. When I am on the big (Great) lakes my transom takes a lot of waves and having those Y pipes gives me some peace of mind that any water that might get past my internal flappers will run down the Y pipe and can't get over the hump into the engine. I only use it once in a while like idling around a marina where they wouldn't appreciate the loud exhaust.
    Good point. Never really thought of that.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    A also think the Q&Q is a nice addition. Are you going to use the heavy duty Bravo coupler? Bill
    Bill,

All my research turned up all kinds of info on couplers. Without getting into it too much in this thread............... I decided to go with stock one for the BBs. The HD one was made for the 496s and has the long snout on it. It is harder to align and isn't woth the extra $250 bucks (maybe less) for it. Merc currently makes two, the A19 and the A11, if memory serves me correctly.

As long as the engine is mounted and aligned correctly, the coupler should last a long time. Spoke a couple who put up to 650 hp through the stock on without any problems.

I did find one issue which did not help the current one, but I will speak of that later.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by Tidbart View Post
    Bill,

All my research turned up all kinds of info on couplers. Without getting into it too much in this thread............... I decided to go with stock one for the BBs. The HD one was made for the 496s and has the long snout on it. It is harder to align and isn't woth the extra $250 bucks (maybe less) for it. Merc currently makes two, the A19 and the A11, if memory serves me correctly.

As long as the engine is mounted and aligned correctly, the coupler should last a long time. Spoke a couple who put up to 650 hp through the stock on without any problems.

I did find one issue which did not help the current one, but I will speak of that later.
    Interesting. I just bought a 496HO with the HD coupler, but I didn't know it was just for that specific engine. Yes, it has the long snout. I wonder what a friend of mine used in his 1150HP blower engine a few years back. His Bravo drives would not last, but I don't think he had coupler problems. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Interesting. I just bought a 496HO with the HD coupler, but I didn't know it was just for that specific engine. Yes, it has the long snout. I wonder what a friend of mine used in his 1150HP blower engine a few years back. His Bravo drives would not last, but I don't think he had coupler problems. Bill
    The 496 one will fit the 502 also. The high hp motors from merc racing have a different coupler.

I guess what I am saying is that the HD one wasn't necessary.

Also, for the most part, I am a one man shop. I don't need to make things harder to align.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I would dump it. You have muffs right? It is another thing to screw up. Throw a block off plate in, seal it up and be done with it. More than one boat has been lost to a leaking Y pipe. Technically cutouts are not even legal.

That is coming from a guy that has both a boat with and without them. Just another perspective.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

I'm going to agree with hedge. I had one on my 22 and when I did the blower I pulled it off. I rarely used it, and it's one less thing to deal with when I'm working in the engine bay. Makes for easier access to the oil lines and other stuff at the back of the motor.

I'll hold on to it and if it proves to be a problem I can always reinstall, but for now I like the room.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    I would dump it. You have muffs right? It is another thing to screw up. Throw a block off plate in, seal it up and be done with it. More than one boat has been lost to a leaking Y pipe. Technically cutouts are not even legal.
    That is coming from a guy that has both a boat with and without them. Just another perspective.
    Quick and Quiet is not the same thing as a cutout. you are going from one legal muffled exhaust to another. Plus, down here in FL we don't have marine exhaust laws to begin with. (except for air boats).

In a nutshell... un-muffled dry exhaust is legal here.

Thread Information