Thread: Outdrive paint touch-up question

Outdrive paint touch-up question

I need to do some touch up painting on my lower unit and I am wondering if I need to prime it, or if I can just wipe down with lacqure thinner and use the Merc. outdrive spray paint? Its just the skeg that needs it, and I am actually thinking about throwing one of those polished skeg guards on there, but I want to paint it first for protection. Thanks guys
    Donzi 18C
    Donzi 25 ZX "Full Tilt F/B "

Quote Originally Posted by Mckillop View Post
    I need to do some touch up painting on my lower unit and I am wondering if I need to prime it, or if I can just wipe down with lacqure thinner and use the Merc. outdrive spray paint? Its just the skeg that needs it, and I am actually thinking about throwing one of those polished skeg guards on there, but I want to paint it first for protection. Thanks guys
    Prime it if you want it to last. Nothing special about Merc paint.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Done a few! I use S/S wool to break the surface then apply 2 coats of zinchromate primer, the paint I do 4-5 thin coats waiting just long enough for it to get tacky between coats. You want good coverage without runs, notice the stainless steel wool never use steel wool the paint will blow in shore order from corrosion also if you sand use ONLY aluminum oxide paper most all others will also cause corrosion. It is also very important to prime as soon as you clean the surface, aluminum stats corroding almost immediately! You may not see it but it is there, the slightest bit left behind will ruin your job!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thread Information