Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Breaker- how many amps?

Ignition Breaker- how many amps?

How many amps for the ignition breaker in my 1990 Sweet 16? I don't have a manual and nothing on any breaker stating amps.

Took boat out of storage but won't even fire to start and instrument panel isn't getting any electric. Bildge, blower, and nav lights work fine and are all on different breakers. Guessing it is the breaker behind the ignition switch. My trim is also not getting any power to it.

This is the info from the breaker (which I believe is original):
    E-T-A
    Series 1658
    Made in USA
    -Jags

Sold---DONZI Sweet 16

WTB 22zx Non-Step Hull

The main breaker is located on the front of the stbd. manifold right by the main plug harness.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    The main breaker is located on the front of the stbd. manifold right by the main plug harness.
    I have the breaker but I can't figure out how many amp's it is?
    -Jags

Sold---DONZI Sweet 16

WTB 22zx Non-Step Hull

Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully off and boating today.
    -Jags

Sold---DONZI Sweet 16

WTB 22zx Non-Step Hull

Sorry Jim it is a 50 amp breaker.

my small blocks were 30, and the big blocks were 50

that's a fact Jack
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Still no power

So wait...it's a 50amp? I'll try that one since the 30 didn't work. FYI I'm running the 4.3l OMC.

When the 30 didn't work I found a breaker (I think) in the engine compartment mounted to the stern wall on the Port side. Red button with a push button center that says push to reset....the button was out so I pushed it back in, but still no power to guages, trim, and no sound when I turn the key.

If not the 50amp breaker, should I replace that breaker in the rear? What else could it be? All other electric works fine-bildge, nav, blower. Checked wiring from dash and everything seems intact.

Thanks.
    -Jags

Sold---DONZI Sweet 16

WTB 22zx Non-Step Hull

I'd just mention that breakers themselves rarely fail. Testing one is about as easy as it gets - just check for continuity between the two poles with it reset. No point running out and buying one when you can test it in 2 minutes. There's no 'maybe'; it'll either pass or fail.

As for your no power problem, I'd be looking for a suspect ground. After sitting all winter a little corrosion could have easily developed.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

is this an OMC? could be a 50...

you can get breaker jumper test straps from West Marine part # blue sea 9216
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    is this an OMC? could be a 50...
    It is an OMC. Marine store was out of 50 amp quick connect push button, so I need to look for one.

Zelatore: You may be onto something...

I've got a steel wire coming out where the outdrive goes into the stern that isn't attached to anything on one end. The other is attached to metal on the drive. Problem is, I can't seem to find where the other end connects to. The total length of the wire is about 6 in.

Wire description: 4-6in long, steel, connected to metal on drive via bolt, other end is not connected and but would also be connected via a bolt/screw.

Any Ideas??
    -Jags

Sold---DONZI Sweet 16

WTB 22zx Non-Step Hull

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by tjags View Post
    It is an OMC. Marine store was out of 50 amp quick connect push button, so I need to look for one.

Zelatore: You may be onto something...

I've got a steel wire coming out where the out drive goes into the stern that isn't attached to anything on one end. The other is attached to metal on the drive. Problem is, I can't seem to find where the other end connects to. The total length of the wire is about 6 in.

Wire description: 4-6in long, steel, connected to metal on drive via bolt, other end is not connected and but would also be connected via a bolt/screw.

Any Ideas??

anything that is connected to the out drive gimbal mounting studs go to a good ground,usually the battery or the back of the engine block..

if your having power problems and the circuit breaker did not work start looking on the engine wire harness usually around the main power plug..you will see a 8 gauge wire with a fat rubber plug and a wire doohickey thing holding it together..when you take that plug apart their is a glass fuse in that plug,that if your engine package is equipped with it..

Before you start running around like a chicken with head cut off, find every black wire follow it to each termination point and clean the lug and contact area. Being as you have accessory power the problem is in the engine circuits, grounds are 80% of electrical problems, poor battery contacts, key switches, main harness plug is low on the list but is worth looking at if all the pins are clean shiny copper it is more than likely just fine.

I would also suspect the ign switch might have gone bad and put a jumper wire from the batt side of the ign sw, to the ign side and see if your gauges jump to life? Cause thats how it gets powered up!
    Or first just rattle the hell out of your key switch shaking it on & off a gazillion times quick at one time and see if you see a response?
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

Line v Load

The breaker has 2 quick connects: one reads line and the other reads load. Which wires go to them? My original breaker only had numbers "1 & 2". To explain, I have a wire coming directly from the ignition to connect to the breaker and the other wire goes from the breaker out into the boat (long wire beyond where I can see it end).

I know it's a rookie question but electric isn't my thing!!! Thanks.
    -Jags

Sold---DONZI Sweet 16

WTB 22zx Non-Step Hull

Thread Information