Thread: volvo outdrive slips when warmed up

volvo outdrive slips when warmed up

....So anyway. A great weekend to be out and just came home for a shower and some knowledge.
    !7' champion
    351 Windsor
    volvo 270 outdrive
    14x23 left hand prop

Boat sounds great good hole shot and lots of rpms left in motor. Changed to a new prop this year because I was getting some slippage last year. This occurs after about 20 minutes of high speed cruising. Prop has made a good change but slipping is still there. Idling for a few minutes and it is good to go again.
    Any suggestions?

What oil are you using in the drive? It also could be the cone is getting glazed, that requires lapping in or replacement if it is too worn.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Just curious and to tell you the truth ,i do not know much about Volvo outdrives but do you have a bellows on the drive that might be cracked or leaking which will cause water to seep into the gear lube , and cause the slippage ?

oil was a little low in outdrive, and added some 30w and it was clean with no signs of water. Was hoping it was the problem, but still slipping. I am thinking cone too after reading some other posts. Is this an easy fix ?

Thread Information