Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mark Donohue’s 1972 28’ Cigarette Production Class

Mark Donohue’s 1972 28’ Cigarette Production Class

1972 28’ Cigarette OS- #66 Retired Production Class Racer. This ultra-rare time capsule is one of the first of its kind and has retained its original Cigarette Racing Team Colors for nearly 40 years. Built as one of the very first 28’ Cigarettes our boat was possibly the first to be rigged with V8s and set up for racing.

In 1973 Legendary Sports Car Racer Mark Donahue bought this boat from the factory and raced it, occasionally with Roger Penske prior to moving up to a larger 40’ Cigarette. Mark Donahue went on to sell the boat to fellow racer and founder of the IROC series, Jay Signorie. Signorie owned the boat and used it throughout the 1970s and early 80s then went on to store it inside his racing shop for years. Prior to Jay Signorie posting the boat for sale in 1994 the boats IROC Series Motors were rebuilt from the pans up.

Since 1994 we have owned this boat and spared no expenses keeping it in top notch condition. The motors have perfect compression, the interior is in amazing shape and the hull gleams like it was just popped from the mold.

In a world of six figure starter offshore boats, this is a chance to own an absolutely amazing rig for a steal. So, if you are interested please call me first then we can exchange emails. I will be glad to walk anyone interested in buying this boat through the details of this fully documented, one of a kind craft.

Asking $24,000 OBO

My name is Chris – my number is (609) 922-2149

Chris really nice boat owned at one time my a true hero of mine. I do not doubt for a moment the information you provided and I believe that Donohue had a couple of offshore boats prior to his early demise. So time ago I googled for information on his boats and one to my surprise one came up for sale I believe in Ohio.

The drives on this boat were painted yellow although the hull did not match the color, I expected it to be Sunoco blue. So I now wonder about the boat if it was the second one or perhaps not legit at all.

If I recall correctly Donohue nearly lost his thumb trying to hitch the boat to his truck in the Penske race shop, it hampered his driving for some time. He said he loved the boats, he could go really fast without the pressure of major league automobile racing.

Good luck selling this great looking boat with lots of history.

Chris~
    Has this boat been used for the last few years in Ocean City NJ ?
    If so~
    I know this boat very well.

Why does it's present deck & cockpit configuration differ now~~~ & in the older race photo ?
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Brad,
    Our boat has been used in Ocean City since 1994. As for your inquiry about the deck; some of the very early 28s ran tonneau covers when they were set up for racing. We currently have two versions of the tonneau that go with the boat, one with a lower profile and the original style as seen in the picture from somewhere around 1973.
    As for the hatch, once Signorie bought the boat, he made the teak hatch you see today… Other than that she is still very true to form and comes with everything you can imagine to document her pedigree.
    That said, feel free to flag me down next time you are on the water…

I thought that was the Ocean City boat.

Ah~Ha !

CHRIS~
    I thought that I knew your rare Cigarette boat .
    It's very unique indeed~

We have based our boats each & every summer in Ocean City NJ since the mid- 1950s

In fact you have driven past our place on Sunny Harbor lagoon & Walnut St. many times.

You may remember seeing Dad & I in our bright fire engine red 24 foot American Skier Super-Eagle near the 16-20th street lagoon areas where we used to fish just off the intercoastal waterway?
    We have always commented about this great super rare Cigarette hull style not knowing it's past race & ownership history .

Were you based , or in storage , at All Seasons Marina at 34th street ?

We did actually speak a few times while passing each other on the Great Egg Harbor bay.

I have a friend "Jim C" who may be calling you about your boat.

What a super-rare Cigarette cockpit style.

How many Cigarette 28s were built with this open-cockit style ?

Brad Hunter
    Last edited by silverghost; 05-26-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Are you the Chris who called me a few months ago about my Volvo speedmaster (e-drives) for this Cigarette? I am in Texas. Just curious. It sure is a tempting boat! Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

The history makes sense. I had a fraternity brother who lived in Florida (Coral Gables Estates). We stayed at his parent's home a couple of times during Spring Break (1977-ish). Jim knew I was a boat nut, and said he wanted to show me something.

His parent's house was just a couple down the street from the Aronow home. He told me Don and Mark Donahue were friends, and Don had "turned Mark onto boat racing." I believe he also said Don had fixed him up with a boat. Jim was the furthest thing from a boat guy, so I don't know if what he said was true. But they were neighbors, so I guess it makes sense he would know something about a famous neighbor, who lived just a couple houses down.

He also said that in exchange for this, Mark had given Don a specially prepared car. I do know this is true, because we walked up the driveway, and in the garage was a radical looking Camero (I think, ahh, college Spring Break) that had a plaque on the dash, which I personally read, that said something like, "This car was custom built for Don Aronow" signed Mark Donahue.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    The history makes sense. I had a fraternity brother who lived in Florida (Coral Gables Estates). We stayed at his parent's home a couple of times during Spring Break (1977-ish). Jim knew I was a boat nut, and said he wanted to show me something.

His parent's house was just a couple down the street from the Aronow home. He told me Don and Mark Donahue were friends, and Don had "turned Mark onto boat racing." I believe he also said Don had fixed him up with a boat. Jim was the furthest thing from a boat guy, so I don't know if what he said was true. But they were neighbors, so I guess it makes sense he would know something about a famous neighbor, who lived just a couple houses down.

He also said that in exchange for this, Mark had given Don a specially prepared car. I do know this is true, because we walked up the driveway, and in the garage was a radical looking Camero (I think, ahh, college Spring Break) that had a plaque on the dash, which I personally read, that said something like, "This car was custom built for Don Aronow" signed Mark Donahue.
    that's very true, I used to live just outside the Estates entrance off Old Cutler, and remember the Aronow house very well, in fact a girl I dated in high school lived right across that canal to the east next to the Ryder's, I was in/out of the Estates virtually every day, and a good friend, Doug Bull, lived about 4-5 houses west of the Aronow's, and he had a 19 Cary, ... everybody knew everybody back then, the best skiing was in the basin in front of Aronow's house on the south side of the Estates..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

sweet boat i love the old cigs

Talk about a rare piece of history along with some very cool insights from Forum members!
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

In case any of you want to bid on the Cigarette - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...89098287414823

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Thumbs up Salt Water

Keep in mind that this has been a saltwater boat for many years.
    I don't know IF it has freswater cooling ?

In all my years of boating I never saw another open Cigarete exactly like this boat.

A rare & unusual find with great past ownership hstory.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
    I know its been a while, but does anybody know if the boat is still for sale or any other open 28's out there. Thanks.

Woz58 your not thinking of selling your Mag CC ???? I wish I could have keeped the 29' Mirage I bought from you. Mark

No, love the mag but have a friend lookin for a 28 cig

Thread Information