Thread: Help, High oil temp problems

Help, High oil temp problems

Is there a pressure relief valve in the oil filter relocation adapter on my gen IV 454? My oil temp will not come down. I am thinking if there is a valve, maybe it has failed and is letting the oil bypass and not go through the cooler and get hot?
    Global warming has been a issue since the end of the Ice Age

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgchallenger View Post
    Is there a pressure relief valve in the oil filter relocation adapter on my gen IV 454? My oil temp will not come down. I am thinking if there is a valve, maybe it has failed and is letting the oil bypass and not go through the cooler and get hot?

both engines or just one..how high are the oil temps?

that valve will only bypass the filter depending on its location.most likely the bypass is in the oil filter adaptor on the block..the water flowing through the cooler goes the opposite of the water flow,if the oil flow is going in the same direction then the oil will not cool as well..also make sure you dont have any restrictions that come from the water pick up to the sea pump,,their needs to be plenty of water to keep everything cool..

to make sure its not bypassing take the boat for a spin and get the temps to 200* on your gauges,if you have a trmp gun or use your hand and see how hot the oil cooler lines are,would be better with a raytech gun to compare the oil temps with the gauges..make sure the temp gauge senders are the correct ones to the mfr of the gauge or you could get false readings.

More clues copied from BigDawg's other thread:

I'm seeing temps in the 250 range,
    I just put on new oil coolers on both engines. They were used, but clean. they are approximately 20" long and 2" in diameter. What else could cause high oil temp? I am baffled. I'm using a 12 Qt pan. The engines were rebuilt this season.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I tried to get it out today, damn weather didn't cooperate though. I will do the temp gun thing tomorrow I hope.

Mike
    Global warming has been a issue since the end of the Ice Age

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgchallenger View Post
    There are two oil by passes. one is in the oil pump it will open when the PSI is to great. The other is in the filter itself . If the filter becomes plugged it will by pass it, But the oil pressure will drop off , next to zero if it did open.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Thread Information