Thread: What I learned at AOTH XI

What I learned at AOTH XI

As some of you know, me, Boo Boo and the twins had been on the road in our RV for 3 weeks before we arrived at AOTH. It was a long run and AOTH was our final stop before heading back to Jackson Hole. Here are some of the things I learned at AOTH XI

1. ITTLFLI really does fly. A Donzi Blackhawk running is a beautiful thing.
    2. 2 year old twins love ZX cuddy cabins.
    3. 2 Year old twins also like green and white 22's.
    4. Flowerpots will run 90 mph with a bent prop.
    5. ZX's don't go anywhere without a prop.
    6. GT-21's built by Parnell are REALLY cool. My favorite boat there.
    7. Mick's boat looks amazing in pics, and even better in person.
    8. I have wondered why AOTH is held in the middle of nowhere KY, after a ride on Cumberland, I now know. Amazing lake.
    9. 20 ft Cigs don't like being harrassed by 2 very fast ZX's, but take it in stride. The 4 Cigs there were absolutly beautiful.
    10. Every year, I get one year older and Bill (Hedgehog) gets one year younger.
    11. Lenny simply does not age.
    12. Scott Baxter (Mad Poodle) is the only one there without a boat that can still sandbag.
    13. David (DonziVol), contrary to popular belief, does not actually break down everytime he goes out in his 18.
    14. Ghost (Mike) really is a ghost, took me all weekend to track him down, but I finally did.
    15. Tornados suck.
    16. Wakeboard boats desgnated as tow boats rock. Thanks Tim and crew for having all our backs.
    17. Donzis snore. How do I know? Because there were some SERIOUS sleepers there......
    18. ZX's with twin big power small blocks are way cool. Nice boat Andre.
    19. You don't even break a sweat with only 20 steps to the dock.
    20. I think Jim would look good in a pink Donzi fleece.

Boo Boo and I were overwhelmed and very touched by all the help and offers we got to help with the twins, including but not limited to-

1. Stan (Inferno) offering to let me take the family out in his beautiful 18.
    2. Donzi Di helping Boo Boo on the Docks.
    3. Tim (Reddog) taking us back to Jamestown after Brian broke his prop shaft. He scarificed alot of the afternoon to help us.
    4. Parnell offering to take me out in the GT-21 for some needed time on the water.
    5. Deb calling Tim for us, and generally helping a bunch,
    6. Brian for giving us a great day on the water in his ZX, knowing he might have to take us back to Jamestown if the twins went Nuclear (they didn't).
    7. Byron offering us a ride to the falls after the breakdown.

And the list goes on and on. Thanks to everyone for the much needed help.

Things have been tough on this board lately but AOTH reminded me that the Donzi Community is not about chat boards or even Donzi's themselves. It is about the people that own them. I did not hear one cross word all weekend. Just a bunch of freinds enjoying the lake, Donzis and each other.

It was great seeing all my old freinds and meeting a bunch of new ones.

To Byron, Todd, Jerry and crew, thanks for putting on such a great show. See you in Chattanooga!

John, Boo Boo, and the twins- Jean and Brooks
    1979 Donzi Criterion
    1997 Classic 16
    2007 G3 w/ Yamaha 90 hp jet outboard
    Jackson Hole, WY
    www.jacksonholealltrans.com

Just my .02, which in this economy, is only worth .01, and actually is less than that since my original .02 isn't really worth .02.

Oh yeah, one last one, don't eat at the Subway in Tifton Georgia. Ask Jim (Buizilla).
    1979 Donzi Criterion
    1997 Classic 16
    2007 G3 w/ Yamaha 90 hp jet outboard
    Jackson Hole, WY
    www.jacksonholealltrans.com

Just my .02, which in this economy, is only worth .01, and actually is less than that since my original .02 isn't really worth .02.

Sounds cool. I'd like to make it next year. I have run with 3 of the boats you mentioned but one has been powered up since.........
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

if you can't cruise at 80, your a Lil Daddy

MacDaddy starts at 90....

King Daddy starts at 100..

all 3 were achieved..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I learned that riding in a ZX at MacDaddy speeds is almost (dare I say it) too easy! At least Brian (Last Real Texan) makes it look that way.

I also learned that even if David's (DonziVol's) 18 wasn't the fastest boat out there, it was just as much fun on the water as the high-zoot ZX.

And lastly I learned that none of you guys look like I thought you would from the forum. What's with that? How could it be that the images I've built up in my mind over the years could possibly be wrong?

Now if I could just get Michele out of the room and on the water...I think she was the real ghost over the weekend!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Things I learned,

1) It doesnt rain at every AOTH

2) 76 falls is a pretty cool place to see

3) That a stock Donzi in this community is all relative lol

4) Ghost's wife loves the color pink

5) 6 quarts of oil in the bilge looks like 10! And is a mess to clean up

6) The rear seats in an 18 will come unsnapped and want to go air borne at speeds of 85 at any length of time

7) That AOTH gets better every year!

A sincere thank you to the Midwest Donzi group and all the Sponsers that put this together and make this happen year after year!!

Steve
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Things have been tough on this board lately but AOTH reminded me that the Donzi Community is not about chat boards or even Donzi's themselves. It is about the people that own them. I did not hear one cross word all weekend. Just a bunch of freinds enjoying the lake, Donzis and each other.

Well said Donziweasel.....I couldn't agree more...those who dont attend events don't understand this.....

Undertaker

Quote Originally Posted by undertaker View Post
    things have been tough on this board lately but aoth reminded me that the donzi community is not about chat boards or even donzi's themselves. It is about the people that own them. I did not hear one cross word all weekend. Just a bunch of freinds enjoying the lake, donzis and each other.

Well said donziweasel.....i couldn't agree more...those who dont attend events don't understand this.....

Undertaker
    +1

I'll move mine here...

I started another thread just before Weasel, but I'll just move my thoughts here:

Well, as usual I learned a few things this year, and I felt it worthy of putting them down for all to see. Let's hear any other thoughts from those who attended.

1. If you have a Donzi, you should bring it and run it. If not, you will be shamed into doing so and will not regret it.
    2. It's a dry county and booze isn't available until 40 miles away. Unfortunately this is the 2nd year that I have learned this lesson. Thanks to Hedge for bailing me out! Cash is coming your way next time I'm at the Roamer.
    3. It's a great idea to have a big boat captain as your first mate on the "fun run." Thanks to Zelatore for riding!
    4. If you're going to run behind another boat, don't pick a Cigarette throwing a rooster tail. You WILL get wet.
    5...more to come I'm certain.

I also want to throw in a special thanks to everyone for their kind comments on my 18. It has taken a lot of blood, sweat, and tears by a lot of people to get it to the point that I can run it in a "fun run" with 30 other boats and arrive back at the dock without issues. So, I really appreciate all of the flattering and encouraging words. It's a special boat to me, and apparently several of you...and that means a lot.

All the best,
    David
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

While my visit was short lived, I learned that 2 Vanna's are a lot of fun!!! Many thanx to Daneen and Diana.........Daddy Like
    2002 28ZX

Aoth

Thanks for all the positive input! This year was our 11th and it feels like our first. Thanks for coming and we're already planning next years event.
    Thanks
    Jerry from Cincinnati

Thread Information