Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prop help please

Prop help please

Hey guys looking for some help...lost my prop in the lake and cannot remember what size/pitch I need for a 1969 16 foot Donzi with a 351 Ford and a H/Moody outdrive. Does anyone have a nice one you could sell me or atleast a suggestion on what size/pitch I should be running. Thanks inadvance for your help. steverowenhorst@garlandrug.com 706-280-1396

Search eBay for Volvo Propellers.

Diameter should be around 15", pitch around 21". Left hand drive.

The old aluminum Michigan props are cheap mid range cruisers - usually under $100.

Better stainless props would be a Solas (19 or 21'' pitch), or a Volvo Ultra (22 or 24" pitch).

i have a very nice stainless custom spinelli 3 blade 14 1/4 by 21 rt hand i am selling for 350.00. should be great for you. let me know ill send you pictures.

bzsmarina, not meaning to cool a potential sale based on your offer, but if his 16 is a 1969, it has port steering, and needs a left hand rotation prop.

Yes, his outdrive will spin either way, but I believe a right hand prop on a port side helm could make for a very squirrelly ride. When looking at the boat from the stern, a right hand rotation prop will torque/roll the boat counter clockwise. This would be amplified by the driver already sitting on the port side of the boat.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    bzsmarina, not meaning to cool a potential sale based on your offer, but if his 16 is a 1969, it has port steering, and needs a left hand rotation prop.

Yes, his outdrive will spin either way, but I believe a right hand prop on a port side helm could make for a very squirrelly ride. When looking at the boat from the stern, a right hand rotation prop will torque/roll the boat counter clockwise. This would be amplified by the driver already sitting on the port side of the boat.

i also have port side helm. i found that spinning everything left, motor and drive with left helm, the boat laid on the left side. i spun the drive right problem was gone. just what worked for me. just offering the prop that's all.

I have to agree with Bill~
    The RH prop is nothing but trouble on your application.

Go with a new Left Hand Stainless Steel ~ Solas brand Aquamatic style "Titan" 21" or 19".
    These are fantastic props for these old Volvo/Holman-Moody outdrives.
    Last edited by silverghost; 05-24-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Quote Originally Posted by bzsmarina View Post
    i also have port side helm. i found that spinning everything left, motor and drive with left helm, the boat laid on the left side. i spun the drive right problem was gone. just what worked for me. just offering the prop that's all.
    What Just Say N20 said is 100% correct, thats why prop rotation always followed which side the steering helm placement is on.
    bzsmarina your reasoning would only be correct with two extra passengers for ballast sitting on the starboard/right side.
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

sorry for your lost prop.
    But!
    i lost a prop several years ago, i was towed in by a sail boat (how embarrassing), the joke at the dock was "didn't you go and look for it."
    so here is the joke.

a priest took the town drunk down to the dock at the town lake to try and sober him up.
    the priest dunked the drunk several minutes at the dock. each time he came up for air the priest asked him "have you seen god yet". the drunk after about 10 minutes of this said "father are you sure you left him down here i can not see him."
    Nick "the scooter"

Quote Originally Posted by Walt. H. View Post
    What Just Say N20 said is 100% correct, thats why prop rotation always followed which side the steering helm placement is on.
    bzsmarina your reasoning would only be correct with two extra passengers for ballast sitting on the starboard/right side.
    if that is true why is that not what is happening? you have all these peeps saying its a certain way but in BZ's case it isnt.
    why does this pattern keep happening?

maybe i missed something? or maybe the ones who built this boat know less than the experts here on the internet?

no offence to you Walt!
    Last edited by Donzi_Dude; 05-25-2011 at 04:45 AM.

HEY BZ I GOT YOU EMAIL THE OTHER DAY ABOUT FINALLY SENDING ME THE TRANSOM HOUSING I PAID FOR OVER 5 YEARS AGO WHEN I BOUGHT THAT DRIVE FROM YOU. YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT??? NOW YOU'RE GONE SEND IT?? I DON'T EVEN OWN THAT BOAT ANYMORE!!!! I SAID I WAS IN NO REAL RUSH FOR THE TRANSOM HOUSING I NEEDED THE DRIVE RIGHT AWAY TO GET TO THE 2005 DUSTOFF A MONTH OR 2 ,END OF THAT SEASON I COULD HAVE LIVED WITH BUT ALMOST 6 YEARS LATER YOU MAKE THE ATTEMPT TO SEND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Donzi_Dude View Post
    if that is true why is that not what is happening? you have all these peeps saying its a certain way but in BZ's case it isnt.
    why does this pattern keep happening?

maybe i missed something? or maybe the ones who built this boat know less than the experts here on the internet?
    no offence to you Walt!
    Bigger picture. My statement reflects exactly what the boat builders knew. While I'm sure there are probably a few exceptions that happened when someone ordered a custom drive package from Donzi, in the vast majority of boats built, when left hand rotation Eaton/Volvo drives were being used, the boats had left hand helms. When outboards were used (which have right hand rotation), right side helms were used. When right hand rotation OMC and Mercruiser drives were used, the helm was on the right side.

The rotational force exerted by a spinning prop is simple physics. For every action, there is an equal, and opposite reaction. A prop that spins to the left, is going to roll the boat to the right. Boat builders know this, and build boats accordingly.

As for the implied proof you suggest with the picture you posted, all I see is a boat that has a left hand helm and a right hand shorty. That's all. It also is labeled "1st . . ." It doesn't say the boat performed correctly, so I can't assume that. I can assume someone who understands the effect of prop torque on a hull because he worked in the industry, used an available boat, which had a port helm, and installed a different drive than what came on the boat.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    38' Carver Aft Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by rowe View Post
    Hey guys looking for some help...lost my prop in the lake and cannot remember what size/pitch I need for a 1969 16 foot Donzi with a 351 Ford and a H/Moody outdrive. Does anyone have a nice one you could sell me or atleast a suggestion on what size/pitch I should be running. Thanks inadvance for your help. steverowenhorst@garlandrug.com 706-280-1396

I apologize for the outburst, sorry back to the point of the thread. I had the exact setup and Have tested at least 12 props on that setup ranging from old bronze props to alum. to SS custom even a prop with holes drilled in it. I am not sure what you are looking for all around performance ,water sports,flat out speed, stable handling? but you can jump to the head of the class and try a solas or an ultra. I found the solas 21 to be the best performing and handling prop on my 16 skisporter. The 351 should be a 290 HP( after 69-70 they dropped the hp rating) if you look at the HM tag on the bell housing it will tell you that.
    If I can help or give you any info drop me a line mnmveth@optonline.net

one other thing with an old AQ volvo you're gonna need an assortment of thrust washers to try long and short hubbed props. Also you may have to address the torque tab/exhaust port on the lower too.

Matty Veth
    Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Hi Mattyboy.

Welcome back.

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    38' Carver Aft Cabin

As for the implied proof you suggest with the picture you posted, all I see is a boat that has a left hand helm and a right hand shorty. That's all. It also is labeled "1st . . ." It doesn't say the boat performed correctly, so I can't assume that. I can assume someone who understands the effect of prop torque on a hull because he worked in the industry, used an available boat, which had a port helm, and installed a different drive than what came on the boat.

i didnt imply anything other than what is pictured??? dont know if it works or not and didnt imply it did. i do suspect it does.

maybe im slow today but you lost me on the last part. the boat was designed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    HEY BZ I GOT YOU EMAIL THE OTHER DAY ABOUT FINALLY SENDING ME THE TRANSOM HOUSING I PAID FOR OVER 5 YEARS AGO WHEN I BOUGHT THAT DRIVE FROM YOU. YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT??? NOW YOU'RE GONE SEND IT?? I DON'T EVEN OWN THAT BOAT ANYMORE!!!! I SAID I WAS IN NO REAL RUSH FOR THE TRANSOM HOUSING I NEEDED THE DRIVE RIGHT AWAY TO GET TO THE 2005 DUSTOFF A MONTH OR 2 ,END OF THAT SEASON I COULD HAVE LIVED WITH BUT ALMOST 6 YEARS LATER YOU MAKE THE ATTEMPT TO SEND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!! i just took it off the boat last year!!! i told you i needed bunch of parts for the 280t and went thru hard times. sorry man soon as i took it off i been trying to give it to you. took it to the long island race. have not tryed to sell it, and offered to ship it to you for free. if you want it, its yours. if not ill scrap the damn thing. but don't go saying i screwed you cause i have not.

Thread Information