Thread: Help with carburetor "slide" on Volvo Penta

Help with carburetor "slide" on Volvo Penta

I need to make or buy a mechanism to allow the single handle throttle on my 1971 Donzi 18' with the Volvo drive to shift into gear before the throttle raises the RPMs. Can anyone show a mechanism that will allow the throttle cable to start moving the actual carberetor linkage after the shifter has engaged the drive? It looks like it needs to give at least about 1/2" before activating the carburetor linkage - correct? Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

If you have the slide block both nuts should be on the tip! They pickup the throttle after the drive engages, this allows for silky smooth drive engagement. All you are setting with the throttle cable is full throttle, the cable should never be locked to the cable!

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I put a nice Livousi single lever in my buddies 69 18c with a volvo 280 oudrive. almost all shift levers go into gear before they move the carb linkage

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    If you have the slide block both nuts should be on the tip! They pickup the throttle after the drive engages, this allows for silky smooth drive engagement. All you are setting with the throttle cable is full throttle, the cable should never be locked to the cable!

Phil
    Right now, I don't have any play. Could I drill out the connector for the cable and let the threaded cable slip until it hits the nuts at the end of the cable? Is this what you mean? Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jstokes8407 View Post
    I put a nice Livousi single lever in my buddies 69 18c with a volvo 280 oudrive. almost all shift levers go into gear before they move the carb linkage
    In my case, it is just engaging the drive when the RPMs are going up. I want it to go totally in gear before starting to engage the throttle. Mine is the original Morse throttle where both cables are moving at the same time when not in the neutral detent.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Right now, I don't have any play. Could I drill out the connector for the cable and let the threaded cable slip until it hits the nuts at the end of the cable? Is this what you mean? Bill

In my case, it is just engaging the drive when the RPMs are going up. I want it to go totally in gear before starting to engage the throttle. Mine is the original Morse throttle where both cables are moving at the same time when not in the neutral detent.

yes bill that is correct,drill out the center of the tab that attaches to the carberator..(if its a pull throttle) i will use 2 nuts at the bottom of the threads and 2 nuts at the vary tip..the nuts on mine are vary thin brass 5/16 x 10/32 nuts..10/32 ?? threads.

you want about 1/4'' gap between the throttle and the nuts..

They way I was taught in tech school was to tie the throttle lever back into the full throttle position then run the nuts up to the block and lock them. You want to avoid unnecessary tension on the throttle arm, that will cause wear and make it tough to adjust idle mixture. There is no given gap as all controls throw a tad different, most I have done were closer to 1/2" if done properly!

Volvo carb linkage

Here a great thread that mop posted several years ago that offers several options....Ed
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ght=volvo+carb
    New2Donzi:

Thanks for all the replies and help - . I couldn't remember how it was done until now. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

As a followup to this thread: The carburetor linkage in my boat is a quick connect type at the carburetor, which I like, so I decided to do the modification at the throttle which has the barrel connectors on the back side. I drilled out the barrel connector where it used to thread on the cable and installed some nuts which I locked together. The carburetor linkage does not move until the throttle handle is now moved well into gear first. I also installed a carburetor return spring as a safety measure. Thanks for the help/advice. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bravo that is using your noggin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Bravo that is using your noggin!!!
    Thanks. I don't get that credit too much anymore - lol. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information