Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 06 22C 496HO BX1 made funny sound in neutral...

06 22C 496HO BX1 made funny sound in neutral...

I hope someone here can chime in:

Yesterday I dipped the boat in the boat.

1. Leaving the dock, started her up and she sounded fine.
    2. Put it in Forward, sounded fine.
    3. Trying to manuever, put it in Neutral...made a funny sound...grindy sounds (like what the hell???)
    4. Put it in Forward, sounded fine.
    5. Put it in Neutral again...same grindy sound (only had it in for a few seconds)
    6. Shut her off and re-started...the sound went away and didn't see it happening the whole day while boating.

Any ideas what this is?

Whats up Dat,
    did it happen as you were taking it out of gear, or when it was already in nuetral? Give me a call, I can take a look tonight for you if you're around.
    Donzi 18C
    Donzi 25 ZX "Full Tilt F/B "

sounds like a shift cable

see if there is any play ion the cable where it attaches to motor

if it wasn't pulling it completely out of gear it would make that sound
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by Mckillop View Post
    Whats up Dat,
    did it happen as you were taking it out of gear, or when it was already in nuetral? Give me a call, I can take a look tonight for you if you're around.
    Sounds was when in Nuetral. It doesn't so it anymore. Sure you can call up my bro...you and him can check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by glashole View Post
    sounds like a shift cable

see if there is any play ion the cable where it attaches to motor

if it wasn't pulling it completely out of gear it would make that sound
    Catch22 suggested that too....maybe it's the throttle cable.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

+1 shift cable sticking..also chack the drive fluid and resivour,make sure its full..

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    +1 shift cable sticking..also chack the drive fluid and resivour,make sure its full..
    If this is the case....cable sticky....there should be minimum damage...when it made those sounds???

The boat does not even have 30 hours on it. I am sure its nothing to worry about Dat. Im going out on your boat tonight with you brother, so I will check everything I can think of.
    Donzi 18C
    Donzi 25 ZX "Full Tilt F/B "

Did you store the boat with the drive in the up postion this may bend the shift cable causing it not to throw properly after storage.regards mike.

Quote Originally Posted by 22times2 View Post
    Did you store the boat with the drive in the up postion this may bend the shift cable causing it not to throw properly after storage.regards mike.
    No I stored with the outdrive down during the winter but will look at the cable when I get home. Thanks for all the feedbacks.

Lightbulb

The gears in a Bravo are in constant mesh, so any grinding sounds are to be looked into. Are sure it was a grinding sound or a chattering sound? I have heard chattering when the cone is trying to grab the cup from being out of adjustment keeping slight studdery gear contact. The gear contact was not enough to move the boat in neutral, go over your drive cable. First disconnect the cable from the converter run the boat on the hose, shift the drive by hand it will have some drag but should not be to bad. Mark full throw forward and reverse then center for neutral it must be mid way. Now look where it attaches to the converter, does it line up perfectly? If I am right good chance the adjustment will clear up the issue, if not it may be cable time.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    The gears in a Bravo are in constant mesh, so any grinding sounds are to be looked into. Are sure it was a grinding sound or a chattering sound? I have heard chattering when the cone is trying to grab the cup from being out of adjustment keeping slight studdery gear contact. The gear contact was not enough to move the boat in neutral, go over your drive cable. First disconnect the cable from the converter run the boat on the hose, shift the drive by hand it will have some drag but should not be to bad. Mark full throw forward and reverse then center for neutral it must be mid way. Now look where it attaches to the converter, does it line up perfectly? If I am right good chance the adjustment will clear up the issue, if not it may be cable time.
    Thanks MOP will try your suggestion, come to think of it...it was more of a chattering sounds....not grinding.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

also check your prop nut,their should be no movement in your prop..

Check to see if it's your starter motor making the grinding sound. I had a problem like this last year that turned out to be a bad ignition switch. Every time I put the shifter into neutral, the starter kicked in.

Once I had accumulated about 20 + hrs on our B3 it developed the 'neutral chatter' as well .. I was told it was just the cone clutch breaking in/ loosening up .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information