Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You know the feeling...

You know the feeling...

Came across this add and I'm really not looking for a boat and I don't need a project. It just keeps calling my name tho and I do have a tire...
    This must have been an awesome boat in its day. Anybody know the history of these?

http://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/2389497324.html

Am I missing something, or is there no price posted?
    These boats were truly amazing. Kind of complicated, and usually need everything at this point.
    Probably a bit much for an amateur, and a good size job for someone w/a good shop and some talent.
    Good luck w/whatever you decide.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

keep looking...............
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    keep looking...............
    ... not what my wife sez LOL!

Funny when I look at that boat I only see the finished boat. I don 't see the stringers,the gell, the motors, the drives, the wifes bags packed on the porch!!
    I finished my second correct craft this winter with all of the above except the wife only went to Florida and I'm in the middle of restoring a farm house, so if it weren't raining so hard, I never would have seen this. I think its time to get a raincoat!

Sure do like the lines of that boat though.

Quote Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
    ... not what my wife sez LOL!

Funny when I look at that boat I only see the finished boat. I don 't see the stringers,the gell, the motors, the drives, the wifes bags packed on the porch!!
    I finished my second correct craft this winter with all of the above except the wife only went to Florida and I'm in the middle of restoring a farm house, so if it weren't raining so hard, I never would have seen this. I think its time to get a raincoat!

Sure do like the lines of that boat though.
    I just can't see putting that much work, time and money into that boat unless you really enjoy doing that kind of thing.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

It would be an awesome boat if you decide to restore it - . If you have restored Correct Crafts, you probably have all the abilities necessary. I believe they were only made for a couple years in the mid 70s. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

The radical aft bottom paint angle line does nothing for the overall look of this boat.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Ya, won't be happening. I haven't done a restoration or even a resuscitation that didn't leave me at least upside down for my labour. I've followed Georges thread and love the boat bbut the time and talent and money....you gotta love it!

BTW- I'm just curious but were these boats rare by Donzi standards? I never saw one before but there was no mention on the rare donzi thread.

Quote Originally Posted by silverghost View Post
    The radical aft bottom paint angle line does nothing for the overall look of this boat.
    Brad- I couldn't help but wonder if the line changed over the years as the hull soaked up water.

I agree it would make a great candidate for a resto-mod, but nothing I'm going to take on myself!

And I also wonder about that bottom paint line. It does seem awfully bow-high. Hard to believe it sits at that angle at rest, but I haven't seen one in person to compare it with.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Ya, won't be happening. I haven't done a restoration or even a resuscitation that didn't leave me at least upside down for my labour. I've followed Georges thread and love the boat bbut the time and talent and money....you gotta love it!

BTW- I'm just curious but were these boats rare by Donzi standards? I never saw one before but there was no mention on the rare donzi thread.
    Well just a matter of conversation here is mine with a single 424ci stroker and a 280t drive from 1973.

BTW- I'm just curious but were these boats rare by Donzi standards? I never saw one before but there was no mention on the rare Donzi thread.

If you're expecting to get your money out of a restoration you're doing it for the wrong reasons! Even if you 'pay' yourself a dollar an hour it's generally cheaper to buy a project somebody else already did. Of course, if you really enjoy the process or just want a boat exactly to your specs then go for it. If I had the money, I know I would.

As for the Doral being rare, I haven't heard it described that way but I would consider it to be rare. Maybe not rare as in highly valuable or desirable (though I really like the look I can see how others might not) but certainly not something you see often.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Originally Posted by mattyboy
    www.donzi.org
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

the 24 donzi hull came in several forms

the spitfire which is like most donzi classic a 2 +3 seating with no cuddy

the spirit was a cuddy cabin version with a metal framed windshield

the doral was a cuddy with high back fiberglass molded seat with a storage compartment it also had a very unique fiberglass framed windshield

the el peascador a fishing version CC

the hulls were "monohull" construction, from what i understand that the tub/deck and the hull were glued together to form one piece

they ride very well but need real power to get them moving and need alot of trim to get them up and going

there is a very nice single in MI for sale now most were twin sbc and volvos

I have been searching for an old one that ran on my lake
    "jamseyboy" it had warmed up sbc and volvo edrives

check out the model list on www.donzi.org it has picstures of all of the 24 models

BTW the 24 was designed by harry scheoll (sp) and the molds went on to sonic and other mfgr's from what i heard al the 4 models same hull with different modular pieces that made them different

made from 74 to 77 by donzi in the variuos 4 models all of which are pretty uncommon

the spitfire is the rarest of the 4 have not seen many el pescadors either
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

The Donzi Doral in my opinion is an incredably rare Donzi model. The reason you don't see a lot of them around or writings about them is because there just are not that many of them out there.

The dk green one they show I believe is from Northern Ohio. I believe it is run on Lake Erie and out of the Sandusky area. I may be wrong though.

As for the water line, remember it is only a 24' boat with twin small blocks and drives. Not a single engine and drive. Now if your looking for maybe better cruising mileage, you might pull those V8s and go with an aluminum V6 to take some of the weight out of the transom. So while maybe a bit exagerated, the water line may be very close to where they are showing it. They I'm sure did extra if the boat was sitting in salt water.

It's a big restoration yes, but if like Zelatore said your only doing it to then sell it, you won't make your money back, but if you restore this Classic for you and wanting a Donzi that almost no one else has, I feel it is well worth the effort.

Good luck in what-ever decision you make. If you do, can't wait to watch your progress with her.
    Scott Boldt

Smile

Very cool find! I think the seller is quite cleaver just posting pictures and no price, the right person will come up with decent dollars. Resto or some of the other possible paths, It would be nice to see it brought back original. Going to cost some $$$ most any direction you take. The seller will be watching his emails closely!

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thread Information