Thread: livorsi gps

livorsi gps

Finally got around to installing my new livorsi gps unit.... turned on the ignition and same thing, ends up at 9 o'clock after about ten seconds. Do I have another dead gps, or does it take more time to find satellites or?

Please help, if it ain't gonna work I'm going to get to intalling my northstar

I put the northstar in, gauge works fine now. Donzi sent me a dud unit I guess.

i had many a problems with the gps units from livorsi....

they eneded up replacing them over and over again....i think they know that they are faulty....

the one i have now sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt!

do u hav a pic of that gps unit? does it fit into the dash or sit on top?
    FISH HARD

I mounted my receiver on the top of the dash on my 27zr with no problems it workes great..I think it needs a clear line of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    do u hav a pic of that gps unit? does it fit into the dash or sit on top?
    which unit, the livorsi or northstar?

the livorsi speedo of course is in the dash, the little white gps unit for it sits on top of the dash.

The Northstar I mounted on the dash, hard to explain in 28, but I had an open spot, it sits like it is flush mounted (i.e., parallel to the dash surface) but it is raised above it. the northstar is a 550i, so the antenna is built in.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the hole in the top of the dash where the old Livorsi antenna went.

ok the gps is strickly speed not map or chartplotting,,, i was thinking it was a chartplotter with a map
    FISH HARD

ok the gps is strickly speed not map or chartplotting,,, i was thinking it was a chartplotter with a map
    The Northstar is chart, map, plus it has SmartCraft capability so it can show the whole gauge package.

I haven't hooked smartcraft up yet though, I do have the box already but it appears Donzi cheaped out and didn't run the SmartCraft extensions to the dash area so I have to hunt extensions down and run them first.

Yeah, on boats with analog gauges you won't find any SmartCraft connections unless the boat received an optional SC5000 monitor, which wasn't offered on the 28. Nowadays, everything runs on SmartCraft but that wasn't the case a couple years ago.

For your hole in the dash...maybe a Sirius receiver?

gotcha vett i am goin to look into a garmin gps that i can set into the dash on the helm side somewhere, i like the fact that system u have will show the guage package also
    FISH HARD

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJosh View Post
    Yeah, on boats with analog gauges you won't find any SmartCraft connections unless the boat received an optional SC5000 monitor, which wasn't offered on the 28. Nowadays, everything runs on SmartCraft but that wasn't the case a couple years ago.

For your hole in the dash...maybe a Sirius receiver?
    Sirius isn't a bad idea. I have to figure out if it is compatible. I also want to add a stereo remote to the swim platform area, but I can't figure out if I can just add a sony one and have the whole thing compatible with the current CPS units

gotcha vett i am goin to look into a garmin gps that i can set into the dash on the helm side somewhere, i like the fact that system u have will show the guage package also
    I was going to get Garmin but the smartcraft capability swung me to the northstar. I wanted the ability to get more information and the reality is I'll use the extra info a lot more than a plotter.

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    Sirius isn't a bad idea. I have to figure out if it is compatible. I also want to add a stereo remote to the swim platform area, but I can't figure out if I can just add a sony one and have the whole thing compatible with the current CPS units
    On factory installations where we added a Sirius unit and MP3/iPod inputs, we used one of these: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...#compatability

However, the newest Sony Marine head units have better overall integration since they've got more inputs: they're satellite radio-ready and have ipod docks and USB ports built in. They've also got the newer, full-function remotes with LCD screens so you can see what you're doing, instead of blindly pushing buttons like on the CPS units.

Some pretty good deals on this stuff can usually be found on eBay.

Thanks Josh, I have to see what I have installed. I thought it was satellite ready but now I'm doubting myself.

Thread Information