Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Internal hydraulic steering

Internal hydraulic steering

I plan on running hydraulic steering and power. With the long list of things I need, I wont have the coin to run external rams. What internal setup do you guys recommend? I have no idea, but what I do know is that I will need one soon,
    Thanks in advance guys
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

There are some internal hydraulic add on kits that could work with that set up. We have done them in the past. They are better than the old cable steering, but not quite as indepth or as beneficial as a full external kit. However if you are not going to be going really fast, or putting a very large amount of hp in the boat, it is a good upgrade..

Probably the least costly one that performs rather well would be the sea star units. There are a few different options & helms available for those kits.. If you want me to look into if for you shoot me an PM or email..

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Steering Recommendations for my classic 18?

This site is so awesome - I learn something every time I get on here. Have a classic 18 with a 325 hp engine, just bought an Alpha SS (listed on this site) and now wondering what steering to go with. Having read all the different threads it appears 70+ MPH is where folks start saying external is the way to go - but this thread makes me wonder about an internal hydraulic power steering set-up. If I can find a good used external system I will go that route, but can't afford the cash to buy one of those new. With what I have, can I get away with an internal system? I'm thinking I may be able to go over 70 mph and would hate to install one system, only to have to change to another...

Again, this site is fantastic thanks to all the smart folks willing to type!!

Cheers,
    Tom

IMO a Brazil valve/external ram setup is a better way to go, trying to stabilize the drive using the tiller just don't work. With a Brazil valve setup you will have the coin to use an external ram, another plus is the feel of the steering stays stock. With hydraulic helm you work twice as hard around the docks, I am sure you have noticed after completion of full hydraulic first comment handling around the docks suck!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thanks for the response

Just spoke to Jamie briefly and he agreed that might be the best way to go. I had never heard of such a set-up - so thanks very much for suggesting it. So this would not require a power steering pump and my wife could drive it without groaning at me? I have nothing for steering at the moment, so would have to pick up a cable helm but that wouldn't seem very hard has most folks are upgrading from these... More to ponder... Thanks again, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 18intheworks
    Just spoke to Jamie briefly and he agreed that might be the best way to go. I had never heard of such a set-up - so thanks very much for suggesting it. So this would not require a power steering pump and my wife could drive it without groaning at me? I have nothing for steering at the moment, so would have to pick up a cable helm but that wouldn't seem very hard has most folks are upgrading from these... More to ponder... Thanks again, Tom
    I think you misunderstood something here. The system MOP wrote about would need a power steering pump, but would use a cable type helm to activate the valve and external hydraulic cylinders.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Copy - that makes more sense. It seems like this might be the best way to go then. Easy to turn, better control at high speeds, less stress on the gimbal, and won't cost me an arm and a leg...

So if I am going to go external steering with a single ram (and that's the way you have all convinced me I should be leaning), then with my lower budget it seems I have two ways to go according to what I have read on all the posts:

1) Cable with brazil valve
    - less effort as it is power steering
    - Good used helm would be fairly cheap I would expect (there is a Big-T for sale on this site)
    - Fewer turns lock-to-lock
    - better 'stock' feel
    - have to purchase pump and valve and hoses

2) Hydraulic helm with ram
    - Helm would be more expensive as likely I will have to buy new
    - More turns lock-to-lock
    - less positive feel

I'm thinking the cost would be about the same due to the higher cost of the helm on one hand, and the the pump and valve on the other hand. I have to purchase a ram and brackets either way.
    So if anyone has experience/advice with either and wants to chime in, I am all ears!

Thanks,
    Tom

Yes, it would need a ps pump...

Lightbulb

Just about everything can be aquired off Ebay some darn cheap.

What about this?
    the only spec item i question is 24 volt motor.
    i am think on using this on my bertram baron

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/produc...r-steering/dc/

http://atlaswoodproducts.me/2008/03/...-enlarge-them/

Scooter with that system you still have all the inherent gimble housing issues, it is far better to use external giving the drive the support it needs.

Phil

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]So if I am going to go external steering with a single ram (and that's the way you have all convinced me I should be leaning), then with my lower budget it seems I have two ways to go according to what I have read on all the posts:

1) Cable with brazil valve
    - less effort as it is power steering
    - Good used helm would be fairly cheap I would expect (there is a Big-T for sale on this site)
    - Fewer turns lock-to-lock
    - better 'stock' feel
    - have to purchase pump and valve and hoses

2) Hydraulic helm with ram
    - Helm would be more expensive as likely I will have to buy new
    - More turns lock-to-lock
    - less positive feel

I'm thinking the cost would be about the same due to the higher cost of the helm on one hand, and the the pump and valve on the other hand. I have to purchase a ram and brackets either way.
    So if anyone has experience/advice with either and wants to chime in, I am all ears!

Thanks,
    Tom[/QUOTE]

Manual hydraulic will be tough to steer, however it should be rock solid in terms of any input into the wheel will turn the drive.

With the other system with the pump and cable helm (many call it a 'half system') you will have a bit of play in the wheel from side to side but the drive will be solid. If you are going to be running the boat at full throttle a LOT and want to be able to steer through chine walk the full system will be better (ideally, WITH a PS pump because even with the pump they are kinda tough).

If you plan on using the boat all around I'd go with the half system... it will be easy to upgrade to a full system from a half system down the road anyway.

There is an inheirant problem w/the SeaStar system on a performance boat in that the electrically powered pump output is less than 2 cu. in. per revolution.
    In other words, you would be cranking the wheel very quickly to try to navigate in close quarters around docks, etc.
    It's a bad choice for these boats unless the steering cylinder is of very small displacement.
    Also, what Phil said.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I have to disagree External is by far the best way to go. Get rid of all that stress on the helmet and fork steer it directly with no play and effort. As far as around docks. I dont know where that came from. I have now problem. maybe the most 3.5 lock to lock If you can find 2 k 5s used that is the biggest expence. Jonny Whale found two used ones. $20 seal kits to rebuild not a big deal. If they are leaking Buy them as long as the piston shaft is not damaged.

Thread Information