Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bravo Problem

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    Bob, when my engine coupler went a few years back, no smoke, no noise.

I was in gear idling, pushed the stick forward a bit, not hard, boat started to rise and then fell back down. Took all the splines out of the coupler.

Motor was out of alignment. Further investigation showed that the engine mount/stringer bolts were too long from Donzi, (it is a '99).

The nut would bottom on the threads before you could get the bolts tight enough.

Ken
    Ken,

Sounds exactly like what happened to me. I will most likely start the removal this week after the drive stand gets here.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    If it turns out to be the coupler get the HP one with steel splines..They last about twice as long as the aluminum spline one..
    Planned on the HP one after learning of the Al. splines. Steel all the way.

Turns out, through some correspondence and research that the Merc couplers are made by Lord Corporation. I will be talking to a boat guy who sell them today. If all is well, I can save a few bucks and get the same unit, just not pay for the name.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Update

Well, it has been a while since this issue came. I have forgotten to give an update, so here it is.

I pulled the motor and replaced the coupler. The old one really had no sign of wear visible from the outside. See photo.

While I had the engine out, I decided to freshen up the transom assembly and drive which was the next step in my refreshing of the boat. The transom assembly and drive are a whole other story.

Anyways, as far as the coupler goes, I eventually got the transom back together and reinstalled the motor, aligned it, got the drive back on. Took it for a test drive and found it was the coupler after all.

I couldn't be happier with that result... it was not the drive.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thread Information