Thread: What prop to run ?

What prop to run ?

I have a 1994 Sweet 16 , Not sure whats on it for a prop (stock maybe) .The boat is a V8 220 merc with a alpha one on the back (1.5 somthing ratio i think)
    My question is what prop would you guys recommend and what top speed could i expect . I am currently getting 58 mph on gps @wot in flat conditions .

I won't be the guy with the answers, but I think the folks who can help you will be interested in a couple pieces of info.

First, what RPM are you turning at WOT with your 58 MPH speed?

Second, I think it will also be useful to positively ID the prop you currently have.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

thanks for your suggestion , i believe i was turning 4400-4600 rpm and i just checked the prop it is a 13 7/8 21

Jason,
    You are pretty much dialed in correctly, but you just might pick up a touch more mph & another 100 rpm's with a smaller diameter 13-3/4" dia X 21" pitch Mercury Laser or QuickSilver LightSpeed prop.
    Both props are and will perform the same except that the Laser is sold only thru a authorized Merc dealer for a few more dollars and has a higher polish to it then the Lightspeed.
    WH
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

Prop Question

Hey I run a lazer 11 25 pitch on my 4.3.. sweet 16. Pretty amazing performance for hole shot and turn holding ..
    I am a light weight and run trim tabs if i take a few passengers .. but max revs are 5200 pegged... which is on the max side of the 4.3
    Boat sits up perfect and runs perfect.
    I tried a few , and found this to be the best prop. All so run the 21 pitch lazer 11 when i am going to use it with a full load and wake board for the nephews.

worth trying a few however to get it right... I have been running this prop for 3 years now .

good luck

cgentile
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by cgentile View Post
    I have been running this prop for 3 years now .
    good luck
    cgentile
    Toronto

sounds like your dialed in dude!

Quote Originally Posted by cgentile View Post
    Hey I run a lazer 11 25 pitch on my 4.3.. sweet 16. Pretty amazing performance for hole shot and turn holding ..
    I am a light weight and run trim tabs if i take a few passengers .. but max revs are 5200 pegged... which is on the max side of the 4.3
    Boat sits up perfect and runs perfect.
    I tried a few , and found this to be the best prop. All so run the 21 pitch lazer 11 when i am going to use it with a full load and wake board for the nephews.
    worth trying a few however to get it right... I have been running this prop for 3 years now .
    good luck
    cgentile
    Toronto
    There you go!
    Now being that 25" is the largest pitch you can get now in a Laser (at one time they were avail to 27" pitch) you might want to think about having it re-pitched to 26" and have a tad more cup added to it which should bring your rpm's down to 4900 and possibly your mph up by 1-1/2 to 3 mph.
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

Thread Information