Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need trailer help. (Performance Boat Trailer)

Need trailer help. (Performance Boat Trailer)

Hey guys,
    I am hoping someone may be able to help me with any information on a Performance Boat Trailer out of FL. Unfortunately they went out of business a few years back so I can't give them a call. Anyways, here is my issue. The trailer is an aluminum I-beam double axle bunk trailer. Good looking trailer and seems to be pretty stout, but there are only disc brakes on one axle! To add to the problem, there is no flange to bolt up a brake set up on the second axle. Because the trailer came out of Florida, they have no laws about having both axles with brakes. Living up here in Seattle, where we're towing over mountain passes multiple times a summer, it is crucial that I find out some info about this trailer to track down a new axle with the flange to bolt up some disc brakes. It is impossible to weld on a flange because there it has to be perfectly squared on the axle. If anyone has any ideas or info to pass along it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You don't need them. I only have brakes on one axle. But if you really want them, there's a place down in Kent that will install them.
    1982 18' 2+3
    SOLD - 1990 22' Classic, ATS Racing built 466 Ford, OMC King Cobra Hump back

Thanks Kelly. The problem is going to be going down the passes and Vantage hill and into Crescent Bar because those brakes are going to get red hot with only one axle. I have talked to a few local places and they all said its crucial with a boat as big as mine to have disc brakes all the way around.
    What is that place calle din Kent? I spoke with Mann's Hitch in Bellevue and he made it sound like it is going to be an issue finding a matching axle?

My trailer always seems fine, and I've towed it across a few states. What are you towing the boat with?

http://www.tlcentral.com/
    1982 18' 2+3
    SOLD - 1990 22' Classic, ATS Racing built 466 Ford, OMC King Cobra Hump back

08 Tundra with the 5.7

What you don't need is the original manufacturer. They didn't make the axle, they just bolted it on a frame that they probably made.

Go to any local trailer builder and have them look at it. They can determine who made the axles and order the correct one for you, as well as the compatible brake components. Should not be a difficult thing at all.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

how big is the boat?
    FISH HARD

Oh, BTW, Florida does have laws about brakes on every wheel for that size trailer. Above 3000# GVW if I remember correctly. Most builders just ignore the law and build what will sell for the lowest price.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    how big is the boat?
    My guess is a 22, but the size of the boat doesn't matter. WA state says brakes on every wheel with an exception for some trailers under 3000# GVW.

B
    Last edited by Tidbart; 04-28-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: mispoke
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    how big is the boat?
    25ZX. Noth that big, but a lot bigger than my 18C when its on the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Tidbart View Post
    What you don't need is the original manufacturer. They didn't make the axle, they just bolted it on a frame that they probably made.

Go to any local trailer builder and have them look at it. They can determine who made the axles and order the correct one for you, as well as the compatible brake components. Should not be a difficult thing at all.

Bob
    Thanks Tidbart, I am going to take it in and have it looked at. One of the guys I talked to made it sound like it was going to be a problem to find a matching axle, but I don't know why it would be. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mckillop View Post
    Thanks Tidbart, I am going to take it in and have it looked at. One of the guys I talked to made it sound like it was going to be a problem to find a matching axle, but I don't know why it would be. Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I don't think there are that many axle manufacturers to choose from and they come in standardized lengths. A good trailer man should be able to tell who made it rather quickly.

Good luck.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Torsion or springs? Spring axles should be real easy.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Depending on your surge brake power ( bore size equals brake pressure) you will be taking a step backwards in braking power by adding an axle and brake system.

Not knocking the braking power of your Tundra.. most veh will go into ABS engadgement when towing quite easliy.

Tow ratings are for Flat land towing. no 6% downgrades or up hills.

Your are exceeding those limits with your Tundra during those condtions.

Recomend manual shifting and careful distance following.
    Matt

1987 22 Classic
    502mpi B1XR

Matt, while theoretically you're correct, I've looked at surge brake assemblies here in Florida, and they were the same model of surge break/tongue assembly (the same model number) on most that I saw....I'm talking about 22'-25' trailers w/one and two sets of breaks.
    For the trailer mfgr, it's probably easier to stock just one size.

However, I am surprised it has only one set of caliper mounting brackets.
    I just went out and looked at my trailer.....tandem Torsion axles, one set of disc brakes, but two sets of mounting brackets.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information