Thread: Z33 repairs : electrical, windshield etc.

Z33 repairs : electrical, windshield etc.

Hi all,

I've been reading through this forum for a while looking for some tips and tricks to mend my friends Z33.

As said, i do not own the boat, but i've been given the questionable joy of repairing electrical issues

I've already fixed all the switches and most of the breakers. That's a no brainer. But what i would really like to have, is a circuit diagram. I've already requested that from DonziDirect, but unfortunately they didn't have anything to help me.
    Does that even exist? It's a bit stressing to always start the fault diagnosis just by following lines and then figuring out voltage supplies etc.
    Are there any Donzi dealerships that have maintenance departments? Those guys should have them. At least if the boating world has anything comparable with automotive industry what i'm more familiar with.

Other issue is with the windshield. It seems a bit hard to get a new one. That's the other thing that i asked from DDirect, but unfortunately, they didn't have windshields and they had sold the molds somewhere.
    Any clues to any dealers with windshields? The other option is to just custom make a new one.
    The issue actually, with the windshield, is that during the years (the boat is from 1989) people have stepped on the upper frame of the windshield causing it to bend and eventually crack the plexiglass.

Other than the crappy electrics (looks like the system has been handled by 5 different people in bad manner..) the boat seems to be externally in good running condition. Both engines start and run properly without problems.

Oh yeah, the boat is in Finland. And i think that's the most Miami Vice-like boat that we have hanging around the corner. It'll be nice to see how it goes once the ice has melted away.

The problem is Donzi was sold since that boat was buillt.
    The new owner had no responsibility to maintain records like that.
    A good plastics technician can duplicate the existing windshield.
    It may require some looking around.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
    But what i would really like to have, is a circuit diagram. I've already requested that from DonziDirect, but unfortunately they didn't have anything to help me.

Does that even exist? It's a bit stressing to always start the fault diagnosis just by following lines and then figuring out voltage supplies etc.
    Are there any Donzi dealerships that have maintenance departments? Those guys should have them. At least if the boating world has anything comparable with automotive industry what i'm more familiar with.
    Sadly, the boating world is NOTHING like the automotive world from a dealer perspective. At least on the service end. I've handled about 5 different boat lines and the factory's support ranged from minimal to nothing. At times, I've actually hand-drawn schematics and sent them back to THEM! Case in point - I have a fairly recent model Carver 44' yacht with factory installed electronics. The customer is having a problem with the electronic gyro compass, which is a small black box about 3" square. It can be mounted most anywhere so instead of tearing apart 50' of bundled and zip-tied wiring harness to find it I asked my factory service rep where they mounted it. Answer: I don't know. And this is one of the better brands I've handled.

Often the best bet on the factory end is when they can go out to the line and ask somebody who originally built that model boat. However as George pointed out that's not likely on an older Donzi.

Oh, and don't tell me there aren't any fast boats in Finland - I saw Kimi in that poker run a few years ago. He may have been wearing a gorilla suite, but we all know it was him!

BTW - love the Z33. Great looking boats!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Thanks for the answers. The service aspect is what i thought it to be. It's a bit odd, but there doesn't seem to be that much authorities demanding things on boats.
    I'll put some diary entries here if i come up with some worthwhile tips while working on the boat.
    And Zelatore, yes, Kimi has a fast boat =) But i think that at the moment his boat acquisitions are not "money depended"

try this guy http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ght=windshield

I think i have some diagrams, anything specific your looking for (ie engines, interior, etc)?

Mike
    Global warming has been a issue since the end of the Ice Age

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgchallenger View Post
    try this guy http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ght=windshield

I think i have some diagrams, anything specific your looking for (ie engines, interior, etc)?

Mike
    Thanks Mike,

I'll see if that link you gave us gives any results.

Regarding the diagrams, engines and interior are actually my main interests at the moment. I'm glad if you can help me ou.

The electric system for docking is 110V and that needs to be totally redone for 230V european system. Those schematics are not so relevant.

Hi,
    Does anybody know if there's somekind of "function" in 454Mercruiser engine to cut ignition when putting gear on?
    The boat that i've been working on stalls the other engine instantly when gear is selected. I instantly think somekind of failsafe but.. Don't know boats well enough yet
    I haven't had a look at the boat yet. I just heard about the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
    Hi,
    Does anybody know if there's somekind of "function" in 454Mercruiser engine to cut ignition when putting gear on?
    The boat that i've been working on stalls the other engine instantly when gear is selected.

What is putting gear on???

B

Maybe you mean putting it in gear?

Do you have Alpha drives? I am a Bravo guy, but I remember some talking about some kind of interrupt switch when an alpha is put in gear. Forgot the correct name. Others will chime in.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Not sure what drive you have, but yes MerCruiser has used an ignition interupter for shifting on some units. Afraid I'm not really much of a drive guru so I can't provide any specifics.

Where's MOP? He'd likely know the answer to this off the top of his head.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Only Alpha's have the interupter, and only because it has dog clutches in both forward and reverse.

As an aside, the Alpha interupter switch can be used for other setups where damage could be done when shifting.
    It's all done on the riser mounted shifter plate.

P.S., I'm younger than Phil.
    Prettier too!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information