Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polished Volvo Penta drive parts

Polished Volvo Penta drive parts

I thought I would show a Volvo Penta drive with some of the aluminum parts sanded and polished. I will be adding a clearcoat to the entire drive when I finish with the lower foot. I thought some of you guys might like this look if you are doing some mild customizing. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Bill we had a fellow out by me years ago did his drive ot drove him nuts trying to keep it up in our salt mess, he would wash it after every run and shoot it down with CRC helped but did not stop the white fuzz. Someone turned him onto Ford Chrome Saver worked very well but still needed attention in the separation areas.

Does look great though!

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Looks great - how did you go about polishing it?

I'd never do it myself - too much work. Sorta like a wood boat with a lot of varnish - beautiful to look at, so long as it's on somebody else's boat!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Bill we had a fellow out by me years ago did his drive ot drove him nuts trying to keep it up in our salt mess, he would wash it after every run and shoot it down with CRC helped but did not stop the white fuzz. Someone turned him onto Ford Chrome Saver worked very well but still needed attention in the separation areas.

Does look great though!

Phil
    Thanks. I am hoping the clearcoat will be the answer to the constant polishing. This is definitely not a great idea for boats that stay in the water for any extended periods of time or probably any boats that are in salt water, but I really like the look.

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    Looks great - how did you go about polishing it?

I'd never do it myself - too much work. Sorta like a wood boat with a lot of varnish - beautiful to look at, so long as it's on somebody else's boat!
    I actually bought the outdrive with the polished parts. I showed it here on the Donzi site, because I didn't know those parts would take a polish like this or I would have done it to mine a long time ago. He wet sanded the parts down from heavy grit to 1500 or so followed by compounding them. Needless to say, you will see lots of black before you see a mirror finish - lol. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

looks great. if you can take it apart and get all the seals out of it, powder coating clear would be your best way to go. as i had done to all the polished parts on my show car. holds up great.

also if you put auto clear on it it will peel. the auto clear needs a sand scratch to make it stick. it will not stick to the polished surface. powder bakes into the surface and it will not peel.

Problem with powder coating it it raises the surface requiring re-shimming, may be worth the effort but as we know one nick and it goes bye bye also.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by bzsmarina View Post
    looks great. if you can take it apart and get all the seals out of it, powder coating clear would be your best way to go. as i had done to all the polished parts on my show car. holds up great.
    Agreed. I use to powdercoat clear and it is a great product. Great ashesion and the shine doesnt fade
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Problem with powder coating it it raises the surface requiring re-shimming, may be worth the effort but as we know one nick and it goes bye bye also.
    Agreed about shimming and buildup from product. I would have motorcycle frames powdercoated and from all the abuse from road debrit amongst other chit hitting it, they would hold up great and be hard pressed to find chips if done right

i have never had a problem. i do the heads and jugs for Harley`s. long as the coater tapes off the mating surface, and plugs all bolt holes. just have to find a coater who cares.

i have never had a problem. i do the heads and jugs for Harley`s. long as the coater tapes off the mating surface, and plugs all bolt holes. just have to find a coater who cares.
    Agreed, Finding anyone who cares about the job they put out makes all the difference in the world. I had a 124" Evo we did. Cases and juggs. even the fins on the juggs held up great and they can take a beating

yeah, i have done everything i could on my car and the boat. done the transom shield, bell housings, mid shaft housing, ect, even took apart the rams for the trim to do them. but i did not do the drive only cause i did not want to tear it down.

Thumbs up That rocks.......

Whats up with the motor under the plastic? hmmm

also if you put auto clear on it it will peel. the auto clear needs a sand scratch to make it stick. it will not stick to the polished surface. powder bakes into the surface and it will not peel.
    I have to admit that I am a little concerned about adhesion, but I am going to give it a shot anyway. I know that any scratch marks under clear still show so I will be trying to clear the polished surfaces except the black that will receive a little scratch prep. The lower foot will be black, and it is the only piece that really recieves the abuse so maybe it will work?

Quote Originally Posted by mike o View Post
    Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyc View Post
    Whats up with the motor under the plastic? hmmm
    The engine right behind the drive is the 496HO that I just bought. It has a red flame top cover plate on it, but I also got the original black one with the correct decals. There is a good chance it will be going in the Martini at a later date -

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information