Thread: OMC Sterndrives

OMC Sterndrives

New to the boat thing. What do we think of OMC Cobra sterndrives????

never owned one but hear the Cobra is weak (relatively - probably a lot of them out there). King Cobra with cone clutch (hump on top of the drive) is bullet proof and fast
    RedDog

President - West Vestal Donzi Owner's Group
    Knoxville, TN

Bullet proof? Hardly. But the cone clutch King is a good drive. Just hard to find someone who has the tools to work on one.
    1982 18' 2+3
    SOLD - 1990 22' Classic, ATS Racing built 466 Ford, OMC King Cobra Hump back

The King has more than proven its self as a very strong drive holding together better then the Bravo, the standard Cobra is a step above an Alpha. Volvo had a lot of influence with the later OMC drives that alone speaks volumes. Doc put a lot of HP through a King with very little trouble. But parts are getting tougher to find.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I've owned my 93 22C for 2 years, I've changed oil and painted my King Cobra - still running great. Only issue was the ignition cut switch on shift linkage - adjusted it - no further problems. Very true about parts, hard to find - yet through the repair shop - they can search nation wide for what's available.

Thread Information