Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1967 18 2+3 Pengy Project

1967 18 2+3 Pengy Project

Here it is, I brought it home yesterday. This is hull # 18-125. Right now there is no engine or drive in the boat. On initial inspection the boat seems solid. I have a 302 making about 275HP that I am planning to put in her now, but there is a 347 that may be a better way to go, but will take more work and money. At this point I am in search of a drive. The original drive was a Volvo 250, and we have that drive but it is junk. My personal preference would be to switch it to an Alpha, but I am not sure that is the best way to go either. Another thought is switching to a Volvo 290 with trim and tilt. Or I could try to find another 250 drive, but I would really like trim. Would tabs work just as well? I have noticed many 270 drives in the world for sale, but they all say they came from a 4cyl engine. What have others done for a drive on these boats?

Attachment 63199

Attachment 63200

Attachment 63201

Attachment 63202

nice boat i really like that barrel back look good luck with her
    FISH HARD

Thank you, so do it. That brings up a great question. Is this boat a 2+3? Or is it some thing else. Should I refer to it as a barrel back, classic, or a 2+3? Forgive my ignorance.

I don't have trim or tabs on my 18. Don't miss them at all. The boat was built to perform without either. Try it...

Hard to believe someone broke a 250. Mine has been bulletproof. Is it original to the boat?

Beautiful boat, BTW...
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Quote Originally Posted by JimG View Post
    I don't have trim or tabs on my 18. Don't miss them at all. The boat was built to perform without either. Try it...

Hard to believe someone broke a 250. Mine has been bulletproof. Is it original to the boat?

Beautiful boat, BTW...

Well, It may have been a 270 after further review. LOL Any body got one???

Quote Originally Posted by JimG View Post

Beautiful boat, BTW...
    What kind of power are you running Jim, and what kind of speeds are you getting?

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

stick with the volvo,,toyr set up is simple, put it in gear and go!if you want to trim it just move the pin in the 3 positions.. no hydraulic ram or pump to worrie about..looking for a drive,,just make sure theirs a letter A which is a 1.3? ratio or the letter B which is a 1.61 ratio in the drive..the letter is at the end of the serial number on the front side of the drive..
    ant of the volvo 270-280 drives will bolt up.and yes your boat is called a Barrel back..

Congrats on the new adition. She looks great and Ill bet your excited about the possibilities? Best of luck. I also love the Barrelback
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    stick with the volvo,,toyr set up is simple, put it in gear and go!if you want to trim it just move the pin in the 3 positions.. no hydraulic ram or pump to worrie about..looking for a drive,,just make sure theirs a letter A which is a 1.3? ratio or the letter B which is a 1.61 ratio in the drive..the letter is at the end of the serial number on the front side of the drive..
    ant of the volvo 270-280 drives will bolt up.and yes your boat is called a Barrel back..

Thank you for the info. Would a 275 work. There is one local I can get pretty cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post

I keep seeing that the 1.3 is the preferred drive, but typically you would use a 1.5 +/- drive for a V8. What would be the performance difference between the 1.3 and the 1.6? I will be starting off with about 275hp and may be moving up to @ 350 if my check book can stand it. Would I be assuming correct if I said I would have to run a lower pitch prop with the 1.3 (19p) as opposed to a higher pitch (21p) with the 1.6. Call me stupid if you need to, just tell me what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyc View Post
    Congrats on the new adition. She looks great and Ill bet your excited about the possibilities? Best of luck. I also love the Barrelback

Thank you. It looks better in the pictures than it does in person, but it has been in a barn for the last couple years. It will need paint, but I would like to have it making noise this summer, and let paint be a next winter project. But I may be being optimistic.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Davidmnc View Post
    I keep seeing that the 1.3 is the preferred drive, but typically you would use a 1.5 +/- drive for a V8. What would be the performance difference between the 1.3 and the 1.6? I will be starting off with about 275hp and may be moving up to @ 350 if my check book can stand it. Would I be assuming correct if I said I would have to run a lower pitch prop with the 1.3 (19p) as opposed to a higher pitch (21p) with the 1.6. Call me stupid if you need to, just tell me what you know.
    Find the 1.61 ratio (B) drive,,i put over 400 hp through one and its been fine for over 25 yrs..

The 275 drive i believe has its mounting pins in a differant location so it may not fit..take the boat with you and see if it fits..i thought the 275 was for 4cylinder boats..also the 275 has i believe a 290 upper.. stick with the drives that end with a zero but not a nine zero ..

I am almost certain that you want the B ratio drive - 1.61. If you have any problems locating one, I have a complete 275 from bell housing to prop that came from a V-8 Ford 302 installation, but I don't want to sell just the drive. The 275 that you found locally should work fine. I believe the 250, 270, 275, and 280 are all mounted the same - maybe someone can confirm this. Nice boat! Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

I'm running a pretty stock HM 351W on the original 250 drive. I see 56mph at 5100rpm with an Ultra prop. You need a B drive.

Is the gel original?
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

The 275 and 290 legs need a different transom shield than the 250-270-280 legs.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Thread Information