Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solas Titan Prop and Volvo 280 Drive

Solas Titan Prop and Volvo 280 Drive

I finally got my hands on a Solas Titan 21P Lh Prop for my Volvo 280 Drive. My question is how is this prop mounted to the shaft? Is the line cutter installed? It appears that with the line cutter installed that the prop is too long. Are there special shims that need to be used to mount this prop? Has anyone run into this problem with the Solas Titan? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On my 280 the Solas needs the fish line cutter's full spacer. It leaves a bit of a gap by the zinc, but Randy assured me the water wouldn't know the space was there. When I tried a cutdown spacer, the cone/nut wouldn't seat on the washer.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    On my 280 the Solas needs the fish line cutter's full spacer. It leaves a bit of a gap by the zinc, but Randy assured me the water wouldn't know the space was there. When I tried a cutdown spacer, the cone/nut wouldn't seat on the washer.
    Thanks Maddad. Are you putting on the fish line cutter, then the prop, then the plastic thrust washer, then the cone? In that order. And if so, when all these parts are installed in the above order do you still have some of the prop hub area that protrudes out past the splines on the prop shaft? I hope that makes sense!!

Yes, if the splines come past the hub, they are what will keep the cone nut from seating on the plastic washer.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

volvo makes differant size line cutter bushings, i have mine real close to the base of the drive,,i chucked it op on the lathe and took about .150 off of it get it to fit properly..but i run a ultra prop..

Fix, the spacer for my ultra is half the size of the fishline cutter(9/16vs1 1/8), but it sets the solas to low on the shaft for the cone nut to work. Do you have a 23" solas that you tried and don't like and maybe want to sell?
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

23 solas in stock here http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/sea...m=+8842-156-23. hay maddad have you tryed to grind a 280 drive thinner? i ground mine ill let you know if it helps. ground it more like a e-drive look. much much thinner than it was. i can post some pics if you like.

maddad have you tryed to grind a 280 drive thinner? i ground mine ill let you know if it helps. ground it more like a e-drive look. much much thinner than it was. i can post some pics if you like.[/quote]

I would like to see a photo of your slimmed-down & streamlined drive.
    How much of the casting material did you remove ?
    How thick are the aluminum castings~~~before & after grinding ?

Maddad~~~
    The 23" pitch Solas Titans seem to be very hard to find.
    Randy told me you need at least 450+ horsepower to run a 23"P Solas.
    Most folks seem to use the 21"P (up to 400HP) or with very the early low horsepower V8 engines (200-250 HP) the 19"P. Solas.
    Randy told me that the Solas Titan "bites much better~~~with far less slip" than the older Volvo Ultra & standard aluminum big-ear props.
    Last edited by silverghost; 04-18-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    Fix, the spacer for my ultra is half the size of the fishline cutter(9/16vs1 1/8), but it sets the solas to low on the shaft for the cone nut to work. Do you have a 23" solas that you tried and don't like and maybe want to sell?

Sorry but no! i dont have a solas prop,,i run labbed ultra props.

i also notches the rear part of the skeg..i took off about 1'' from he bottom taperes up to the where the prop is mounted so the prop could get cleaner water to the prop to keep the cavation down..

i ground off a good 3/4 of a inch. mostly in the front at the nose cone. only took off 1/4 at the case, per side. knife edged all leading edges. took off 1/4 at rear of skeg and case. filled in the water pick up. and just rounded it more at the torpedo. painted it silver on the lower and will water sand it to make it satin. i had 22% slip we will see if it helps.

bzs, I'd like to see those pics, put them up.When I put the nosecone on, I used a belt sander and took some spots down, but not very e-drive like.

Thanks anyway Fixx. I do like the way the ultra carries the nose of the boat and I have an extra lower I could play with, so if you have any pics of your lower, I'd like to see them. I just need to get the rpms down. Are there any 14x26 ultras out there? Adding the small tab you suggested last year helped settle the steering down at the top end with the Solas. I can't seem to keep the steering fork to helmet allenbolt and lock nuts tight. I need to carry spares and check them often. Do you have this problem at all?

silverghost, I have a 23" Solas and would like to find another I can send out for more pitch to lower my rpms. I'd like to get one that was shipped from Randy if possible. If not I'll get one from a Solas dealer and then get to see if they're the same.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

i did post pics???? thats what i have is a 14 by 26 ultra.

fixx, who labbed you ultra?

Randy may have had his "Special" Solas Titan props Tweeked to some extent .

Maddad~~~

What horsepower are you running with the Solas 23"P ?
    &
    What are your maximum RPMs ?
    You may be able to crank-in another 2" of pitch in the Solas 23 at a good prop shop.
    There is some risk in re-pitching-up a Stainless Steel Prop however.
    Stainless Steel props tend to crack and fracture without proper pre-heating before re-pitching & cupping.
    Last edited by silverghost; 04-18-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

silverghost, I have almost 450hp, and as I get more comfortable at the speeds above 5000 rpm and spend more time there, I'd like to lower the rpms. I can spin it above 5500 and would like to use the prop to limit it to 5300. I'm not willing to work on my only solas, only my extra one.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

the DMRS will have a few select Solas props for sale soon.. delivery to AOTH can be arranged..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Thread Information