Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on period correct throttle for my '76 2+3??

Advice on period correct throttle for my '76 2+3??

What would be a good, period correct or period correct TYPE of throttle for my 1976, 2+3?

I have a merc one on there right now, it has a black cover that mounts to the gunell, a chrome arm and a black "knob" which is shaped sort of like a rounded off rectangle with lines in it.

The reason I need to change this is because I had my TRS rebuilt and went away with the electronic shifting and switched to mechanical. The current shifter or throttle has no linkage for the mechanical cable, so I gotta switch it.

I've seen some different ones from pics of guys boats, including a white ball that looks like a Hurst shifter or something.

Can any of you guys with more knowledge and experience point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the help!!!
    DUNESMAN

I know the early '70s had these, but I'm not sure when they changed. I have seen these in 1972.

Someone got a deal on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Singl...#ht_500wt_1182

Then check into getting one of these for that really nice finishing touch.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ght=shift+knob
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

I'm sure Rootsy knows!
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

OK, now I need to track down Roosty I guess.

I like the Morse one but I'm in a bit of a jam, I need to get one, like yesterday. I've been looking at modern brands but can't find many that mount on the gunnel like the donzi.
    DUNESMAN

I have a Morse shifter that came off my 1972 18 2+3 it looks like the one pictured above however the gear unit is black and the shift lever is chrome. Also has the hanger assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    I have a Morse shifter that came off my 1972 18 2+3 it looks like the one pictured above however the gear unit is black and the shift lever is chrome. Also has the hanger assembly.
    Hey Bobby,
    are you trying to sell it?
    DUNESMAN

If you need it and want it yes, don’t know what they are worth so I did a quick search and found one that sold recently for $75.00. It’s not show quality but it works, also does not come with the wood shift knob.

Add described it as Morse Shifter -Pitted - $75.00

Thanks Bobby,

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, might opt for a newer unit with neutral lockout. Thanks for the offer, I MIGHT take you up on it.
    Nice GOAT BTW, what year is it?
    DUNESMAN

The original Morse control on my boat was replaced by the previous owner with the MV-2 control. It works and looks nice, if I can help shoot me a pm.
    Thanks it’s a 1965

Nothing looks better !!

Than the original !!

Nice

Bert,
    That the one but yours looks much nicer did you have it restored? Also how do you like the remote trim?

Thanks for all the replys guys. Heck, it almost seems like the mv-2 is a rare breed now!

I'm going to tell you a story that I haven't really told anyone. It's really stupid and very embarassing. I'm 37 years old and grew up boating on Lake Michigan. I've been taking (real) boats out on my own since I was a young teen, I've raced in five chicago Mac races and been out in the lake on pretty much everything it can throw at you. I'm not a pro boater or anything but I'm pretty experienced and believe it or not, I'm one of those guys who actually know :gasp!: the rules of the road.

A couple years back, I was gassing up and finished and paid. I started the boat up, and realized that I neded to take a line off so I stood up without turning the motor off. I really don't ever do this. When I'm out on the water, if I'm not in the seat, the boat is off, that's the way I was taught. Well, I didn't follow my rule and as I was stepping back in to the boat, I bumped the throttle and ENGAGED the drive! Hell, it even had a little bit of throttle in it! So I literally jumped in the seat and pulled the throttle back but it was too late, the boat had already lurched up on the swim platform of the large boat next to me. Holy cow was this embarassing. I was shaking I was so freaked out. Luckily nobody was hurt and there was no damage on any of the boats, just a really bruised ego. I found where the people dock and brought them a bottle of champagne along with a big slice of humble pie.

So yeah, I'm starting to think that the neutral lockout device might be a good idea, lol.
    DUNESMAN

That said, are there any other decent solutions aside from a Morse shifter that will fit on a right side mount? I've found all sorts of other cool controller but they're all top mount. I like RatFink and all, but that would be a little over the top.
    DUNESMAN

On my morse side mount, if you pull out the lower knob the boat will not go into gear, but will still control the throttle. Is that what you guys are talking about?
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Because my restoration/rebuild is not being done back to original, I bought a Morse/Teleflex SL3 control.

It is side mount, either right or left (mine is a port side drive), and can be purchased with, or without a trim switch in the handle.

I decided to get the trim, because I don't like driving a small, fast boat and having to let got of the throttle to change the trim. I like one hand on the wheel and one on the throttle.

They have a button to push in the middle of the pivot on the handle, so you can advance the throttle without shifting into gear. They also have a kill switch option.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Thread Information