Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 classic 100 mph ???

22 classic 100 mph ???

I am looking for input from the guys with experience with getting a 22 to and beyond blistering speeds of near or over 100 mph.
    I am currently rigging a 22 classic with 800hp. That should be plenty of Hp to get there, the question is, as far as the setup, how to keep it stable at high speeds. Its been up fitted with 240 k's so that will defiantly do the job as far as tabs go. I have heard to minimize chine walking the rotation of the prop on this boat make a huge difference. Anyone with experience doing this?
    Thanks

That's a small club with only one member that I know of; Mr. X. For some reason he has been strangely quiet about his latest Ilmor Donzi project. These boats can safely run over 100. There are lots of us running in the 80s.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Meanwhile here is some reading: Mr. X has had this boat up to 103 at least: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50796

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    These boats can safely run over 100. There are lots of us running in the 80s.
    Whoaa Carl. That's a pretty dangerous statement to put out there. Yes there are many running over 80, but I don't think even Mr X would say these boats can safely run over 100.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Whoaa Carl. That's a pretty dangerous statement to put out there. Yes there are many running over 80, but I don't think even Mr X would say these boats can safely run over 100.
    With an experienced driver and a proper set-up I'll stand by my statement. Remember Mighty Mouse? An X-18 that made plenty of safe runs around 115 mph? http://www.donzi.net/forums/video.ph...ils&videoid=19

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by lightingwateronfire View Post
    I am looking for input from the guys with experience with getting a 22 to and beyond blistering speeds of near or over 100 mph.
    I am currently rigging a 22 classic with 800hp. That should be plenty of Hp to get there, the question is, as far as the setup, how to keep it stable at high speeds. Its been up fitted with 240 k's so that will defiantly do the job as far as tabs go. I have heard to minimize chine walking the rotation of the prop on this boat make a huge difference. Anyone with experience doing this?
    Thanks
    just make sure you have plenty layers of 1708 and reinforcement gussets in the bilge area to keep from lifting the stringers..that's the weak part of the 22..
    Did you reinforce the transom to support the kplanes?

What year is the 22?
    '94 and later boats are a better starting point than most of the older boats.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

the 22 has been around since the 80's that's a little more than 30 years.
    Sorry but if just throwing hp at it was the secret to getting a 22 into triple digits,pardon the expression, we would not be able to swing a dead cat in the air without hitting a 100 mph 22.

There are alot of question to be answered before you can start a project like this. Is the hull built (reinforced) to handle the pressure ,do you have a cradle, steering, outdrive ,ect.? I'm in final stages of building one and it's been alot of work and very expensive. I've had alot of input by friends in the racing industry, who build race boats in the 200 mph area and still we are learning with the 22. I know mine will have the ponies, but who knows what it will do once it hits the water.I think I have the capability to drive the boat, as I've been racing boats for over 40 years, hold world championships and been 186 mph on water. Still I can't say weather I will hit the 100 mark,as I will soon will find out. Remember one thing ...It's not the speed that will kill you ,it's the sudden stop!!!! 27 of my best friends have been killed racing boats and I'm not in a hurry to meet them. Good luck on your project.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    just make sure you have plenty layers of 1708 and reinforcement gussets in the bilge area to keep from lifting the stringers..that's the weak part of the 22..
    Did you reinforce the transom to support the kplanes?
    I was looking at that and thinking about it, the transom seems pretty thin on the ends 1/2 maybe 3/4. I can fab a plate for behind the tabs. then gussets to go out and down to steps in the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by lightingwateronfire View Post
    Thanks
    . Why would anybody want to run 100+Mph in a boat 22' or less
    You are only asking for trouble if you had not had a lot of seat time in the boat running 80+ then 90+ mph running a 100+mph is a whole new world
    Good luck on your project
    Rick
    Little Max

Run Hard Or Stay At The Dock

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I think I have the capability to drive the boat,

• as I've been racing boats for over 40 years,

• hold world championships

• and been 186 mph on water.

Still I can't say weather I will hit the 100 mark, as I will soon will find out.

Remember one thing ...It's not the speed that will kill you ,it's the sudden stop!!!! 27 of my best friends have been killed racing boats and I'm not in a hurry to meet them. Good luck on your project.
    Reformatted for clarity. Seems qualified to take on this endeavor.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

There are alot of question to be answered before you can start a project like this. Is the hull built (reinforced) to handle the pressure ,do you have a cradle, steering, outdrive ,ect.? I'm in final stages of building one and it's been alot of work and very expensive. I've had alot of input by friends in the racing industry, who build race boats in the 200 mph area and still we are learning with the 22. I know mine will have the ponies, but who knows what it will do once it hits the water.I think I have the capability to drive the boat, as I've been racing boats for over 40 years, hold world championships and been 186 mph on water. Still I can't say weather I will hit the 100 mark,as I will soon will find out. Remember one thing ...It's not the speed that will kill you ,it's the sudden stop!!!! 27 of my best friends have been killed racing boats and I'm not in a hurry to meet them. Good luck on your project.
    I bet a lot of folks beside me would like to know more about your project.

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLE MAX View Post
    . Why would anybody want to run 100+Mph in a boat 22' or less
    You are only asking for trouble if you had not had a lot of seat time in the boat running 80+ then 90+ mph running a 100+mph is a whole new world
    Good luck on your project
    Im powering it with one of my engines and doing the rigging, as far as myself I have countless hours in 100+ mph boats as does my customer. I am just not familiar with the 22 classic at high speeds.

Oh I hear you, no corners are being cut here and safety is at the up most priority. This boat will be ran at the only highest speed that can be ran safely. the goal here is to do what needs to be done to maximize that safe speed. It has dual ram steering already and now real tabs. Its getting there.

Thread Information