Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: solas titan vs. bigg grizz performance props

solas titan vs. bigg grizz performance props

Quote Originally Posted by BigGrizzly View Post
    Actually I am the one who is selling them, The internet one isn't the same, all who have posted have gotten theirs through me. Read the Donzi org. post on solas prop testing. The prop you are using got me started on this project. BTW they no longer make that prop!. I bet that where the blade meets the hub is pitted.
    I recall Randy posting this and was wondering....
    If I buy a Solas Titan from a dealer, are they now the same props that Randy originally had/developed with them or just the base prop they started working with. I'd like to get another lh23" to send out for more pitch and want to know if I should try and scare up one of the BGPP props or just get the advertised prop. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks,
    Mike
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

I don't know but what other option do you have?? An 30 year old Ultra for 400+ bucks.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

I have been speaking with another member about this self same thing, he contacted the factory Solas is no longer making the same props Griz was getting. The member is doing more research on finding the Griz props, I directed him to Matty and also recommended trying to contact Griz's son to see if he might have input or any left over props!

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    I don't know but what other option do you have?? An 30 year old Ultra for 400+ bucks.
    Good point, unless someone reading this has a 23 from Randy they're not happy with or don't have the power to turn? I already have an ultra and it's not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    Same prop...their are others tho that solas makes for the aq drive..
    your best bet would is to call the prop guy i use,he is a solas dealer and he can tune a prop for your donzi and he knows the classics..
    http://www.dahpropellers.com/
    I checked out their site and will give them a call about my issues. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    I have been speaking with another member about this self same thing, he contacted the factory Solas is no longer making the same props Griz was getting. The member is doing more research on finding the Griz props, I directed him to Matty and also recommended trying to contact Griz's son to see if he might have input or any left over props!
    Phil
    Hey Phil, are they looking for more pitch to lower the rpms?
    I'll send Matty an e-mail also, he was behind a lot of the testing when these props were first out.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this Titan = Grizz Solas, or Titan ≠ Grizz Solas.

I don't know what good the part numbers do. I have a brand new, never been on the boat Solas 19 I bought from Grizz for my Ski-Sporter restoration project.

I looked everywhere I could think of on the box and on the prop for a part number, and found nothing that would indicate the part number.

The last picture is of the bottom of the box. This was the only printing on the box that didn't look "generic."
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Just Say N20, I noticed that there were no numbers on my prop also. On the Solas site, there appears to be some on the front of the hub.
    Most places I look also have no or limited stock on the ones I look at.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

mrfixxall Guest

Ya, mine has numbers on the inside.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Mine has numbers on the inside, exactly like yours, only 19 instead of 21. Is yours a prop from Grizz?
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    38' Carver Aft Cabin

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

I guess no Body paid attention,,im just talkin out my aZZ even tho i posted proof..So poof i delete..

They may have the same part number but It seams to me from the pictures, the two props are different besides the pitch .

this prop appears to have a shorter hub and no line cutter

this prop appears to have a longer hub and a line cutter.

Fix, I'm not saying your information is wrong. I'm just curious because when I bought my prop from Randy, he told me you couldn't buy the same solas prop he was selling anywhere else.

He said the Solas props available from other sources (traditional dealers) were not the same as what he was selling. The conversation went no further, so I don't know HOW they were different.

It would be great if they were commonly available.

I don't get the information "poof." I read the entire thread you had linked, and saw the part number on the box of Lenny's prop. I found another post from Lenny, dated 6-4-09, "I have one of Grizz's 21 SOLAS LH props just north of you. Used twice. SS and all."

It would appear you can buy them from other sources.

"Out of stock" http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Sea...21+solas_BROAD

"In Stock" And a great price! $100 less than I paid for mine. http://www.savvyboater.com/store/p/4...42-156-21.aspx

According to their website, they have the 19 in stock also for the same price. 8842-156-19

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    38' Carver Aft Cabin

I guess no Body paid attention,,im just talkin out my aZZ even tho i posted proof..So poof i delete..
    I'm here enough where I'm having a hard time believing I missed something. I'm sure it wasn't because I wasn't paying attention or thought you were talking out your azz.
    Was it proof that they are or aren't the same?
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    I'm here enough where I'm having a hard time believing I missed something. I'm sure it wasn't because I wasn't paying attention or thought you were talking out your azz.
    Was it proof that they are or aren't the same?

All im saying is part numbers dont lie,,a solas titan is a solas titan,they all come out of the same mold with different hubs pressed in them and some have the rubex hub for multi uses on other mfr's boats..weather or not grizz's props were the same or he could have done something different done to them to perform like grizz wanted that prop to i dont know..

Every prop that come out of a box is not the same any way shape or form,their all different.. So if you guys want performance from this prop you have to spend the extra money and tune the propeller to your boat..

Its like when you go from a stock engine to a performance engine do you use the stock carburetor rite out of the box?? Heck no!!!! you have to tune it to your engine..

Same goes for a performance propeller,,get it tuned for what your application is.

I have a friend that put all this money into his engines in his boat,,he put a set of merc labbed bravo 1's on his 31 thunder,the boat went from 88 mph to 98 mph with the new 540's with 871 huffers on top..that boat should have done well over 100 mph,,i gave him my prop guys number and wow he cracked 109 mph..that was worth the $450.00 he spent to get the props tuned to his boat,,10 mph for $450.00 in prop tuning.

All im saying is part numbers dont lie,,a solas titan is a solas titan,they all come out of the same mold with different hubs pressed in them and some have the rubex hub for multi uses on other mfr's boats..weather or not grizz's props were the same or he could have done something different done to them to perform like grizz wanted that prop to i dont know..

Every prop that come out of a box is not the same any way shape or form,their all different.. So if you guys want performance from this prop you have to spend the extra money and tune the propeller to your boat..
    From talking to Randy, I was under the impression that the ones he was selling were already tweaked for our 24* hulls vs. the stock Titans. That is what I'm trying to confirm.

It would explain the negative slip numbers on a prop stamped 23" at the factory.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Thread Information