Thread: Always liked this photo

Always liked this photo

Great photo by Mario Vazquez. We shot both 009s and the orange 38 ZRC poker run boat in the same session. This was actually a helicopter shot, believe it or not.

that is an awsome shot... one question about the flag decal, why do they hav it flying in that direction?
    FISH HARD

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    that is an awsome shot... one question about the flag decal, why do they hav it flying in that direction?
    This has been kicked around, but I think there are two schools of thought. One is that when a flag appears on a boat, it should be shown with the staff end toward the bow, as if it were an actual flag flying in the breeze from the boat's motion.

The other school of thought is that the usual view of a flag is with the staff end to the left. (Further, you don't need two different decals this way. I suspect the lack of two decals MAY have contributed to the way flags sometimes appeared in the old days, but that is just my speculation.)

I used to be of the mind that big flags like the ones on the 009s should be shown based on the "staff toward the bow" rule. Whereas small flags (much like the little badges/shields on some old Donzis, right below the rubrail at the stern) are better using the "staff left" approach. Over time, I think I've just concluded I don't usually love the big flag decals at all. The Nova raceboat is one of the few exceptions. But the 009 Donzis look better to me with the flags removed altogether.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    But the 009 Donzis look better to me with the flags removed altogether.
    I agree.

“Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Of course the 009 boats are reaching back into history to the '60's-'70's when there seemed to be much more of an international flavor to race boats.....I mean race boats that looked a lot like these boats.
    W/that in mind, I like the flags. I just thumbed through Crouse's "Searace" and noticed different boats used every conceivable combination of flag orientation.
    I think the British Union Jack does better since it looks very similar either way. Or the little Italian flag on Sonny Levi's "Delta Systhesis" down in my sig line.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    As stated, that's the customary way of displaying a flag on any vessel (see photos). When we came up with the 009 graphic, we were duplicating the graphics on Don Aronow's 008. We couldn't find any starboard-side photos of 008 so we couldn't confirm whether the flag was displayed correctly on that boat or not, but figured we'd stick with tradition and do it the proper way. Still, we knew not everyone would love the big flags, which is why we made them in vinyl, while the rest of the graphics and lettering were all painted and clearcoated.

If we'd just been shooting out of the other side of the helicopter, all the website, brochure, and promo shots would have shown the flag in its more familiar orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    I agree.
    Nice job there, now about those bikinis....
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

PG site.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    Nice job there, now about those bikinis....

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Of course the 009 boats are reaching back into history to the '60's-'70's when there seemed to be much more of an international flavor to race boats.....I mean race boats that looked a lot like these boats.
    W/that in mind, I like the flags. I just thumbed through Crouse's "Searace" and noticed different boats used every conceivable combination of flag orientation.
    I think the British Union Jack does better since it looks very similar either way. Or the little Italian flag on Sonny Levi's "Delta Systhesis" down in my sig line.
    Agreed, I like the concept of them for this reason too, and I commend the folks for having the stones to make that limited edition. Still, for whatever reason (size, location, whatever), they don't quite look right to me. But that's me.

That said, on balance, I am a big fan of the 009 boats. Some people hated the offset stripe. I think it ROCKS. And so on. I think they nailed the 009 and I would only change two things for my boat, if I had one. As scoops go, it's good looking, but I'd like one sans scoop (it's non-functional, right, so I'll take the flat hatch) and I'd lose the flags. Remains my favorite LE I can remember.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJosh View Post
    When we came up with the 009 graphic, we were duplicating the graphics on Don Aronow's 008. We couldn't find any starboard-side photos of 008 so we couldn't confirm whether the flag was displayed correctly on that boat or not, but figured we'd stick with tradition and do it the proper way.
    Don had his own style thats for sure . . .
    If the Cary 32 had the flag this style you can bet 008 had it too . . .

and then I did this.

and this,

and after a week of "that's wrong" (on this side only) I did this,

which I guess is right being the builder told me so.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

The reason the US military has the flags looking backwards on their uniforms and equipment on the right/starboard side, is because it represents the American flag moving forward. If the flag faces the familiar way on both sides, one of the flags is showing a retreat.

Look at the right shirt sleeve of an army uniform.

Both flags on the 009 boat are correctly displayed, whether you like it or not.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Thread Information