Thread: Blackhawk drive in a 22ZX?

Blackhawk drive in a 22ZX?

Having seen how a BH drive can transform a classic 22 into a raging beast I was wondering if anyone had ever tried installing a BH into a 22ZX to see what the results would be; just curious.

64 views and no one has anything? Has it been done before? Is it a stupid idea with the stepped bottom of the ZX? Am I an idiot for asking? C'mon give me something.

ok, mercy post. I have no idea. I have a bh on a 22c but I dont know how the x-dim is set up on a zx or how the step(s) would affect it.
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

The main benefit on a 22c is less chine walk at high speed and less torque steer, again I dont know if the zx has these same handling characteristics.
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

I put a BH on my 22C. My initial concern about it going on a 22ZX would be trying to get on plane. The BH doesn't exactly "pop" my 22C out of the water. A bigger boat (that wasn't designed for the BH) might really struggle.

Just my thought.

It would be interesting to find out though.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I put a BH on my 22C. My initial concern about it going on a 22ZX would be trying to get on plane. The BH doesn't exactly "pop" my 22C out of the water. A bigger boat (that wasn't designed for the BH) might really struggle.

Just my thought.

With the unknown being how far down in perspective to the bottom of your boat is the current drive? That fine line your looking far will need measurements first as compared with simply going with a Shorty (imco) etc. I would think Donzi has already thought the best combo for your 22zx.

Maybe search some members here whom own some big power 22zx?

As exciting as a surface prop may sound if it doesnt pensil dimension wise, its all for not.

Except maybe a cool rooster tail.
    Matt

1987 22 Classic
    502mpi B1XR

blackhawk

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post

Just my thought.

so are you sticking with the BH? would you go back now?
    with the PC you are putting out some HP--but if I remember correctly, you had issues before- did the BH help? or would you try something else to find the results he is looking for?
    ~ wherever you go, there you are ~

trust your journey

GBond Guest

Blackhawk drive in a 22ZX?

Mr. X and Jamie,

Please give some insight on this one. What ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    I would think Donzi has already thought the best combo for your 22zx.
    I wouldn't think that. There is cost and availability to be considered when manufacturing a boat. I can't think of anything that couldn't be improved on given enough time and money.

I do not have the knowledge or experience to say what would or wouldn't work on a 22zx, but I have a gut feeling it wouldn't. I'm always interested in experiments though, so I'd love to see someone try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo Loui View Post
    so are you sticking with the BH? would you go back now?
    with the PC you are putting out some HP--but if I remember correctly, you had issues before- did the BH help?
    I'm not sold on the BH. I've run the B1, a BH, and a -2 Imco. The BH is absolutely awesome at top speeds. It completely eliminated my high speed handling issues, but it also exagerated my porpoising problem. If I hadn't bought anything...and knowing what I now know, I would go with the shorty. Not the best in any catagory, but the best overall compromise
    Why is faster never fast enough.

IMO it will not work well without big HP, the drive has little to no bow lift which is essential the boat up and out of the water. Like mentioned above if the X is not at the correct height the drive produces stern lift, I think a ZX requires at least as much trim as a 22 if not more. I ran a BH on my 22 but used BIII props, it popped on plane even with 5 on board but ran very flat @ WOT. I swapped to a Bravo diesel X and gained a little over 6 MPH. To get the performance Donzi was looking for out of the drive they had to add rocker tot eh hull, quite a few had tried the BH on the 22's. Those that BB gained 3-5 still below the same powered BH hull. I miss the handling and mid range the BH gave me, it also ran a couple of mile faster at mid range @ a given RPM but once over 3,500 it fell flat.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Black Hawk
    The Black Hawk drive looked promising for the high end sport performance boat but it looks as though Mercury may have put the brakes on the project.
    Many boats were rigged with the dual-prop surface piercing with great success. It's stout, short housing reduced shaft bowing and it's sleek design mean't drastically reduced drag coefficients.
    It's main draw-back was that it could only be used on boats that had a certain step in it's hull design.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Joe I have not seen one on a step hull, only ones with rocker or high HP.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

years age a friend had a wellcraft 22' scarab blackhawk edition wth a 502 mag and a black hawk drive,,all i can tell you is the boat ws fast! 85 mph was the number he ran on the speed..those were the days the gps w unknown of..

Thread Information