Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Internal hydraulic steering project

Internal hydraulic steering project

I want to replace the cable steering in my C18 without spending a lot of money. I'd love to install external steering, but read the part about not spending a lot of money again. I managed to find a used SeaStar HC5328 steering cylinder that is supposed to fit my Alpha for $50 and a HH5272 helm for $80. They need a little TCL but I was told they are in working order with no leaks. The helm bezel is cracked, but I will probably fabricate one out of mahogany eventually. I bought a new steering wheel adapter from Speed & Custom Marine to reuse my mahogany wheel. I need to order a pair of hoses and some steering fluid while I get going on cleaning these items up and painting them. I haven't measured hose length yet.

Aeroquip.....your local dealer will be able to supply you for less than $200.00.
    The big thing will be mounting the cylinder onto your gimbal housing.
    I think you'll need some more pieces.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Question

Will you be using power steering?
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

George, is that an internal power steering unit? Ive never seen that setup before.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Will you be using power steering?
    Yes, the boat already has power steering.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    The big thing will be mounting the cylinder onto your gimbal housing.
    I think you'll need some more pieces.
    I'll take a look at the current setup tomorrow and see.

George, can you size down your pictures? They are HUGE making reading this thread really tough.

Thanks.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Planetwarmer View Post
    George, is that an internal power steering unit? Ive never seen that setup before.
    Yes, this is the Merc set-up using this Hynautic cylinder.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Unhappy

George Please!

The ram simply slides in where the cable end did, I have done a couple for customers over the years it could not be easier. I have that same ram new in the box, I was going that route when I put my 22 together but stayed with the cable. You did very well I paid around $350 and now it sits on the shelf.

Sorry guys.....
    One of the problems w/V-Bulletin is if you change the resolution, it may make you go back and change the pictures everywhere you've ever posted them.

Phil, maybe you have changed these systems over, but what about this system I had in the Minx????????
    It was a heck of a lot bigger i.e., the Merc part of it, than the standard Merc cable rig.
    It seemed to have been designed for that Hynautic cylinder.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Not quite under standing your question! All you do is remove the cable ans insert the ram assy into the same tube, mount a helm and hook up the lines could not be simpler. Very easy system to bleed, fill it then drop both bleeder hoses into a can with clean oil and turn the wheel in one direction forcing teh oil through the helms check valves, do this until no bubbles are seen in the can then turn it in the other direction repeat until no bubble in either direction. Most can complete the install in 5-6 hours. If anyone want a new ram I have it!

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Not quite under standing your question! All you do is remove the cable ans insert the ram assy into the same tube, mount a helm and hook up the lines could not be simpler. Very easy system to bleed, fill it then drop both bleeder hoses into a can with clean oil and turn the wheel in one direction forcing teh oil through the helms check valves, do this until no bubbles are seen in the can then turn it in the other direction repeat until no bubble in either direction. Most can complete the install in 5-6 hours. If anyone want a new ram I have it!
    Phil, what I'm trying to say is the assembly above is significantly larger than the one I took off, particularly in the Merc shuttle valve area. Also, the tiller mechanism was longer and that's what destroyed one of my oil filters.
    We have to be talking about two different systems.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

After looking at Dick B's cylinder photo and the one in my photo, it has become obvious to me they are two different cylinders and may very well be a direct cable replacement.
    Good luck.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    After looking at Dick B's cylinder photo and the one in my photo, it has become obvious to me they are two different cylinders and may very well be a direct cable replacement.
    Good luck.
    There's an application guide here: http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/STERNDRIVE/stern.htm and that's what I used to get the part number. I priced new cylinders and helms at $350-$400 each, so yes if these work I'll be happy with the cost. Looks like hoses will be my most expensive item. Anyone know the length for an 18? I suppose I will go measure anyway. Just spent a little time cleaning up the outside of the helm and shaft of the cylinder. Both are pitted, so I may use some texture paint on them.

Thread Information