Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Too many options for motors

Too many options for motors

On the one hand im looking at a 406 long block to go with a Bravo1 on an 18. or maybe a 350 mag pushing about 325 hp.
    Then on the other hand im looking at mild 357 reman Alpha going at 275 and using an Alpha.
    I do plan on keeping the boat and I would like to do this once...
    Any ideas? Also should I stay away from LT1 motors? and if so why?
    Im sure this topic gets beat to death but my head is spinning and need to get on track. Doing new transom now so it will be a fresh start
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

what kind of boat?

don't tell me DONZI
    DUNESMAN

383 with Bravo. LSX with Bravo but big $$. Avoid the 400 small block, too many problems.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

An 18 is fairly so even with a fair bit of power an Alpha is fine and very cheaply replaced, a Bravo setup is pretty costly I know. For what it cost me to switch to a bravo I could have bought 4-5 new SEI Alpha drives and been 2-3 mph faster.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo View Post
    383 with Bravo. LSX with Bravo but big $$. Avoid the 400 small block, too many problems.
    You will get arguments about the 400 SB we have quite a few out doing very well, the only issue they had was steam pockets when used in trucks. If the steam pockets bother anyone simply add transfer lines to the backs of the heads, don't know of any of our guys resorting to that. Lets see what MadDad has to say he has a warm 406 that I have run with.

I'd go with the 406. The problems that people talk about mostly come from putting heads on without the steam holes drilled. There's no replacement for displacement. That said, there are a few guys here with 383's that are flying also. What ever you choose, remember they all(SBC's)weigh the same, and an extra 56 c.i. makes a difference you can feel.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

I found a 383 LT1 real close to me. Can get it for $2500 350 30 over. Going to send me a spec sheet so I can see cam specs etc... It has 0 miles onit
    Also found a member selling a 406 long block but having a hard time getting hold of him.
    Hey Maddad what drive are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyc View Post
    I found a 383 LT1 real close to me. Can get it for $2500 350 30 over. Going to send me a spec sheet so I can see cam specs etc... It has 0 miles onit
    Also found a member selling a 406 long block but having a hard time getting hold of him.
    Hey Maddad what drive are you running?

Make sure it is setup marine! Pistons, bearing material, cam shaft, head gaskets and brass core plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Make sure it is setup marine! Pistons, bearing material, cam shaft, head gaskets and brass core plugs.
    Its not...he was going to send me specs and I thought I could have it converted if need be. But what do I know... Im a painter for a living....lol

It may have decent parts, then it sounds like it would be a good buy. The cam may be an issue but who know, post the specs there are a few up here that know there cams. The core plugs are an easy fix, the only one they do not make a brass one for is the cam valley behind the flywheel. The cam valley plug should be primed and painted well they rust out easy from water sprayed up from the flywheel, the is pretty good oil feed back there which makes for a very messy bilge.

Specs

I will post tham as soon as I get them... Thank you so much for your input

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    It may have decent parts, then it sounds like it would be a good buy. The cam may be an issue but who know, post the specs there are a few up here that know there cams. The core plugs are an easy fix, the only one they do not make a brass one for is the cam valley behind the flywheel. The cam valley plug should be primed and painted well they rust out easy from water sprayed up from the flywheel, the is pretty good oil feed back there which makes for a very messy bilge.
    +1. Not a bad idea, but be ready to marinize it.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

If going to do it once, build a motown or dart 400+ cubes and put a bravo behind it. These aftermarket motors are super tough and make great power. If there is cost concerns, go 383 sbc with bravo and you will have a solid performer with reliability.

I built my 406 28 years ago. Has not been disassembled yet. As has already been recommended, I drilled steam holes in the heads also.
    "1978" F-22; Turbo'd & Intercooled.

The Dart SHP block is a great foundation for a 400+ cubic inch sb
    Have run many 406's with no problems-bb power, sb size.
    Same with 383's.

Thread Information