Thread: Tilt angle vs Prop

Tilt angle vs Prop

I have a classic 16 Ski Sporter with a HM302/Volvo 250 setup. I currently am spinning a RH 14x22 Ultra. This prop has considerably more rake than the old zero rake aluminum elephant ear prop I used to have. This boat is also equipped with Bennett ST-9 sport tabs-- I really need them due to the left helm / RH torque causing the boat to list to port when you put the hammer down.

My question is, would it make sense to move the tilt pin from the middle hole to the top (third hole)? Would I gain any worthwhile top end or sacrifice any cruising performance? Engine turns 4,800 with this prop and just a shade over 50mph with 2 POB and full fuel. Thoughts anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
    I have a classic 16 Ski Sporter with a HM302/Volvo 250 setup. I currently am spinning a RH 14x22 Ultra. This prop has considerably more rake than the old zero rake aluminum elephant ear prop I used to have. This boat is also equipped with Bennett ST-9 sport tabs-- I really need them due to the left helm / RH torque causing the boat to list to port when you put the hammer down.

My question is, would it make sense to move the tilt pin from the middle hole to the top (third hole)? Would I gain any worthwhile top end or sacrifice any cruising performance? Engine turns 4,800 with this prop and just a shade over 50mph with 2 POB and full fuel. Thoughts anybody?
    Never had that set-up, but I would certainly try the top hole. Easy and quick to do and see how it responds.

As an aside - would you be better off with a left-hand prop? On a Volvo isn't it an easy switch of the linkage to change prop rotation?
    RedDog

President - West Vestal Donzi Owner's Group
    Knoxville, TN

Red Dog: I'll give it a try-- I was mostly curious if anyone else had some experience to share here. Also, you are correct, a LH prop would be optimal. Was all set to purchase a LH version of the prop I have now off eBay and made the mistake of posting it here while discussing with another forum member. Somebody (presumably from here and you know who you are!) swiped it within 30 minutes of my posting. It had been listed for several weeks on eBay. My only other choice was a RH which I wasted no time in bidding on.

Thanks for your response.

Lightbulb

Though a bit costly the boat would be far more user friendly and faster swapped to a lefty prop, you are losing about 2 mph dragging the tab correcting the list. It is a very easy switch just move the shift link on the drive over. The cost of another prop which could be offset by selling your current one, once done you will be glad you did.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I remember a few guys with set ups like yours saying the LH 19" Solas worked very well for them.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

I agree with all those suggestions & observations-- I originally had a LH aluminum prop that I replaced with the RH Ultra so I know how easy it is to change the rotation having done it once already. I've been looking for another LH prop without any success. I don't have any experience with the Solas but would like to try one. Finding props for the old Aquamatic is not easy. If anyone knows of anyone that has a LH Solas they'd be willing to part with, I'd like to be first in line.

Let everyone know where you are and where you boat. I'll bet someone near by will help out. Prop testing is a good excuse for a boat ride.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Grab the Mazco!!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Don't bother with the mazco it's for an e drive and won't fit your 250.

grab a solas 19 it will be the best money spent.

Thanks-- I didn't think it would fit either.

Thread Information