Thread: Home-Built Boat Title & Registration

Home-Built Boat Title & Registration

An old high school buddy of mine just inherited a home-built boat project that his father started in the 1970s. His Dad has worked on-and-off on this project for deacdes.
    The mahogany planked & plywood 24 foot Inboard retro style multi tripple cockpit hull was based on plans that his dad bought from Glen-L (Glenwood) Designs in Calif .
    His father first saw an advert for these plans in the back of a Popular Mechanics magazine in the early 1970s
    The frames & ribs for this boat were also bought in pre-cut kit form from Glen-L.

This project looks simiar to the Chris Smth/ Chris~Craft or John Hacker tripple cockpit style boats of the late 1920s-mid 1930s.

His father appears to have done a fine job on this project so far.
    The sides are traditional mahogany double planked design but the bottom is made from 1/2" mahogany faced marine plywood that was cut in various shapes placed over a canvas covered 1/8 " inner bottom. Boat Life Poly-sulfide caulk was used on top of the canvas covered inner bottom to bed-in the outer 1/2" plywood bottom.
    I suggested that he use West System Epoxy to seal the outer marine plywood bottom.

The Home-Built hull is basically almost finished ; but was never, rigged, varnished, painted, powered .and has no engine or marine gear, interior, gas tank, wiring, deck hardware etc.
    It does have a rudder, steering system, strut & prop shaft.
    His dad also has some old style windshield bronze castings etc.

How does he obtain a Pennsylvania boat Title & Registration for this Dad's unfinished home-built boat ?

He now wants to finish this boat in honor of his Dad's memory.
    And he wants me to help-him-out .

Will this boat now need to meet modern Coast Guard safety & flotation standards in order to be titled & registered in Pennsylvania ?

Will it need to be inspected by any state or Coast Guard officials before any title or registration is ever issued by the state ?

The Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Comission handle all boat titles & registrations here in PA.
    A call to their office brought little help or advise .
    The lady there on the phone never had to deal with a home-built project boat .

How do you Title & register a Home-Built Do-It-Yourself project boat ?
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-30-2011 at 03:38 AM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

I'm sure this is going to vary by state so you're probably going to need to make some phone calls. In Minnesota I registered a rowing shell built from a kit and it was very simple. There was no inspection and no requirement to meet flotation standards. I suspect this is going to be the case with homebuilts. I was assigned a hull ID number and issued registration stickers and that was about it. The boat was too small to be titled in Minnesota so I didn't have to deal with that.

Sounds like an interesting project, something like I think about doing every now and again. i would love to see pictures.

www.glen-l.com Brad this site has a boatbuilders forum that just might be of some help .

Not in the same state, not even in the same country, but when I built my 16 I was amazed at how easy it was to title and register. I filled out a form requesting simple measurements, paid $1 and I was done. That was 20yrs ago and in Canada, but I wouldn't doubt it will be an easy process even where you are. I'd go down in person rather than try to deal with someone on the phone.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thread Information