383 mpi

wat do u guys think bout the 383 mpi in a 22 its 350 hp

Ho-Hum..........

You'll need at least 400 HP.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

so wat do u suggest

I love the idea of a small block from a space standpoint since the classics don't exactly have the roomiest engine compatments.

But I think you'll find 350 hp is a bit light for most Donzi drivers.

400 hp is a good starting point. I would guess a small block making around 400 would perform about the same as the 385hp BB. Less weight, but less torque as well.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by CHEVYMILL View Post
    so wat do u suggest
    I'm guessing you have a 22 with no power and a spare 383 MPI, right?

If that's the case and funds are tight, it'll work and get you out on the water. But be prepared to spend some time/money sorting it out. At a minimum expect to play with props.

What did the boat have originally? 454? Merc/B1 I assume?
    (side note, if you don't have a drive now, you may be able to get away with running an Alpha behind the 383 which would certainly help the top end and be cheaper, but at the expense of resale and durability...ask MOP for more info on alphas on 22s)

If the budget is there, I'd suggest trying to sell/trade the 383 for a BB. If you're willing to go carb there are some decent motors for not much money available.

Otherwise, consider looking for a take-out stock 454 or 502 Mag. Those are pretty much drop-in engine packages that offer fair to good performance, good reliability, good upgrade options down the road, and are available at reasonable prices.

I suppose another option would be building the 383, but I'd tend to stay away from this. I bet you can get into a BB for the same or less money by the time you sell the 383, and you'll have a lot more room for growth as well as better potential re-sale down the road.

The only thing I see the small block having an advantage in is size/weight. I have to admit, the size thing alone does tempt me...
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

i just got the boat its a 1989 22 with a brovo 1 with imco 2in shorty lower and hydro steering no power at all was a 454 i think i kinda wanted fuel injected thats y i said 383 and the buget was trying to b around 8 and it will b in salt water

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

i just got the boat its a 1989 22 with a brovo 1 with imco 2in shorty lower and hydro steering no power at all was a 454 i think i kinda wanted fuel injected thats y i said 383 and the buget was trying to b around 8 and it will b in salt water
    bolt this in and have a 80+ mph boat and go boating

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o32243-en.html

p.s. i have the bell housing!

mrfixxall Guest

If you've got an $8K budget for repower, you should have no trouble finding a running, complete take-out 502 Mag to bolt in. That'll get you into the low (maybe mid with the shorty) 70s with plenty of relaiabilty and some cash to spare.

Or you can look at some of the aftermarket/custom stuff in that price range and get more power for the dollar. Just depends on you're particular wants/needs and comfort level with custom stuff.

Either way, on that budget I'd be shopping big block, not small block.

Oh, and since you're planning to run in salt water, look for closed cooling. You won't find it as often on a stock Merc 454/502, but you can always add aftermarket kits. George C on this site is a good source for info on putting together custom closed cooling systems.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

Fixx is onto something here - any of those would work, though I'd be looking at the 502 or 500EFI over the 496.

In fact, I'm kinda wishing I had seen that 502 before I bought my procharger...Oh well, wrong time/wrong place.

(one note though - they did say 502 MPI but that looks like a carb motor)
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

A good thing about the 496 is they do have an HE.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

this is the teal green boat?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Yes it's the teal one and wat does a 502 run i need to fully dress it

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    Oh, and since you're planning to run in salt water, look for closed cooling. You won't find it as often on a stock Merc 454/502, but you can always add aftermarket kits. George C on this site is a good source for info on putting together custom closed cooling systems.
    Here's some cooling info;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...=50476&page=25
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Here's some more and the following several pages;
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...=50476&page=51
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information