Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding the 460.....thoughts?

Rebuilding the 460.....thoughts?

Well, last season was the last run of the original motor in my boat...22 years of service had 3 holes down around 100#, and since the motor/drive are out right now to do some stringer work, no point putting a tired, leaky, rusty motor back in.....I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible, big power really isn't a goal, but I'd like the boat to do 75 if possible.

My thoughts are:

IF the pistons are in good shape, possibly just hone and re-ring (motor only has 200 hrs)

Cam (not sure how big yet, or brand)

These manifolds to replace the HUGE cast OMC ones:
    http://www.keitheickert.com/c-428-46...manifolds.aspx

Possibly a set of DOVE heads, or aluminum heads, mainly for weight.

Engine has a new Edelbrock performer alum intake and a new Holley 750DP, so I'm going to leave those alone....anything else I'm missing?
    1982 18' 2+3
    SOLD - 1990 22' Classic, ATS Racing built 466 Ford, OMC King Cobra Hump back

Dove heads, very nice.

Ken

It is a good block, perf items are limited but 75 should be an easily attainable goal.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

If you run into a deal on BBC manifolds (like Stainless Marine), CP Performance/Hardin has spacers to adapt Chevy manifolds to Ford 460's
    http://www.cpperformance.com/c-390-m...d-spacers.aspx

Ya never know, it happens.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I've thought about that, could I run 496 manifolds with those adaptors?
    1982 18' 2+3

I don't know but Carl, Mike, or Jamie knows, I'm sure.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Why dont you switch to a mercruiser or chevy engine. wouldnt that help your resale value if you decide to sell later? It seems more people lean away from big block fords in marine applications.
    You could buy a rebuilt long block for a pretty reasonable price.

I like the 460, and it keeps it different. Resale isn't a big deal, don't plan on selling it.
    1982 18' 2+3

Don't hone and re-ring. It doesn't cost that much to have the cylinders bored at an automotive machine shop. Order up some forged pistons from Summitt Racing. Keep compression at 9:1 max and definitely replace the heads. That is a big weak point on Ford big blocks. JMO based on a lot of years of wrenching on cars doing heavy repairs.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

When I redid my 351 Windsor in my donzi, I ended up buying a long block from RHS, racing head service out of Tennesse.
    It actually came out cheaper than redoing mine and I believed my original block was getting a little rough.
    The quality of their long blocks was great and very reasonable price.

mrfixxall Guest

Well, I'd target about 500 hp if you want 75 mph. Not sure...maybe the KC on the back of your boat would do it on a bit less power. Aren't they a bit more efficient than Bravos?

I never built a big Ford, but any Ford project always starts with heads. Looks like you've got some ideas there. Exhaust is going to be an issue unless you can make the adapters work. The rest of it should be pretty easy.

Definitely cheaper than swapping to a Chevy/Bravo combo and like you said - different/more interesting.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    If you run into a deal on BBC manifolds (like Stainless Marine), CP Performance/Hardin has spacers to adapt Chevy manifolds to Ford 460's
    http://www.cpperformance.com/c-390-m...d-spacers.aspx

Ya never know, it happens.

Hole - E - Crap...

$470 for 5 lbs of aluminum (pre-cooked weight) and a few minutes of milling time.

They're making some good margin on those suckers! I guess they know they've got a captive audience!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    Hole - E - Crap...

$470 for 5 lbs of aluminum (pre-cooked weight) and a few minutes of milling time.

They're making some good margin on those suckers! I guess they know they've got a captive audience!
    Yep, you're right.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Nice thread..

The 460 is a great geometric torque engine.. as as others have stated Cylinder heads and exhaust are the greatest upgrade.

If your going to change your cylinder heads, and yes that is were all the power is going to be made (keep it simple)

With a margin of 5200 rpm in mind and the hopes you can use 91 octane fuel. Might I make a suggestion.

Pick your cylinder heads first (if your are changing them)
    Look at edelbrock as well as others ( dont get too carried away because 5200 rpm is the top and you wont be there all the time) and some heads are too lazy down low 3-3500 rpm

New pistions are a must have to insure compression.(even more so when heads are changed)

Compression makes horsepower. keep it safe once your head chamber is picked

9.5-9.8 compression with the right cam wont detonate on 91 octane

Camshaft ..Reversion is always a factor as is valve train longevity.

Comp Cams series xm such as a xm270h or of that type (easy on parts. no reversion)

Change your timing chain set to a cloyes ( ford timing chains have a certain amount of retard built in and not that much is needed)

And last.. exhaust. Tough one but worth every $$ ! if adapters are the ticket to some good emi or etc.. do it. Nothing gained on the above unless you do upgrade the exhaust..

Exhaust......compression... camshaft....Cylinder heads(optional)...

Should be a great combo with everything you already have... Prop shopping in your future im sure !!
    Matt

1987 22 Classic
    502mpi B1XR

Thread Information