Thread: Stringer Wood Core & Strength

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stringer Wood Core & Strength

I was wondering how much strength & structure the stringer wood core actually gives to the stringers on a Donzi 16 or 18 ?

Most of the wood stringer core is fairly thin in cross section & solid soft wood, plywood, or in some cases mahogany is it not ?

Is the real strength & structure of the stringers not in the shape & thickness of it's fiberglass shell laminations ?

Does the interior core wood really add very much to the stringer's real strength ?

I have stringer wood core rot; at least in the aft transom & engine bed area..
    I am just wondering how far I should go foreward in replacing my stringer's old core ?

I suspect the plywood bulkheads are also rotten near the center keel & PVC pipe drain hole areas.

The lower half of my transom core is also rotten & I will replace it's entire wood core.

This rot is near the center drain hole, speedo pilot tube moutig & hose holes and the lower outdrive cut-out !
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-22-2011 at 01:26 AM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Brad, In short the cores are important. If they are compromised anywhere they need to be repaired or replaced. Regardless of if it is in the framing, transom or deck, etc... They do add strength and rigidity so it is advisable to address them.. The most common materials for repair/replacement are plywood & coosa for the frames & transom.

Jamie / Lakeside

Quote Originally Posted by LKSD View Post
    Brad, In short the cores are important. If they are compromised anywhere they need to be repaired or replaced. Regardless of if it is in the framing, transom or deck, etc... They do add strength and rigidity so it is advisable to address them.. The most common materials for repair/replacement are plywood & coosa for the frames & transom.

Jamie / Lakeside
    Brad , i agree with Jamie 100% , and to tell you truth ...... sometimes it is just better to go ahead and replace everything because in the long run it just might save you some time , and when all is said and done at least you will know what you got . Brad , the intermittent framing between the stringers , deck , ext , adds a whole lot of structural intergrity to the build of the boat . and might i mention Coosa's Bluewater 26 offers a great product which i have started using more and more of these days. http://coosacomposites.com/bluewater.html

Many O.E. builders are using this stuff as well-
    http://www.spaceagesynthetics.com/

Jeff
    " Just piercing the surface"

Thread Information