Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Volvo 270/280T

Volvo 270/280T

My current "Benchseat 18" as found has a Volvo/Holman~Moody 270 that is in just fair shape. I need to pull it apart and add some new bearings, universals, seals, boots, etc.
    There is no pitting on this old outdrive case.

I would like to add power trim !
    This is a "Must Have" for this new aft benchseat drive position.

ALSO~~~
    My complete tilt motor assembly was stolen off this old Volvo 270 before I bought this project !

I am debating if I should try to find a complete 280T outdrive assembly from bellhousing to prop ?

I am not a Volvo drive expert by any means~~~
    I have put seal kits, universals,bearings, and boots, in a few of them before.

I have much more experience in the old Mercruiser TRS /velvet drive combos.
    I had one for 15 years .

I have never owned , or worked on, a Merc. Alpha or Bravo !

Would my old 270 drive work with a 280T transom shield & hydraulic pump unit ?

Is there a better option for getting power tilt here ?
    I would like to keep the old time tested Volvo AQ drive system as I hear they are almost bullet-proof up to about 400 horsepower !
    It would also save me some cash !

I hear some parts & props are hard to find for the old 270/280 drives ?

Should I replace the entire outdrive set-up ?
    &
    Give this old Volvo 270 drive to a forum member here who could use it ?

I also have no engine at the moment~~~
    The old 270 was set up as a Ford Holmam~Moody unit.
    I assume basically a standard Volvo 270 with Hollman~Moody badging ?

I would need to swap out the drive's old Ford bellhousing for a SB Chevy unit.
    I have no drive damper assemby at all now .

If all else fails I can always spring for a new Merc. Bravo drive !

But at what cost compared to staying with the old Volvo 270/280 & 280Tdrives ?
    Both in price ?
    And ability to obtain spare parts in the future ?

Does Volvo still support these old drives with new parts ?

Now is the time to pick a final drive system & engine for this project as I plan to soon replace the rotted tramsom wood core & repair stringer rot next !

This project had been on hold because of the sudden Cancer illness & passing-away of my Father .

All ideas & opinions appreciated !
    Thank's
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-06-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Brad,

MOP knows these answers best, but I think I can say that a 280T housing fits on a 270. on my Magnum project I am switching from 250 drives to 2 280T drives and the hole pattern is the same . .

I'd do anything you can to not modify the Hornet . .

Mario L.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
    Brad,

MOP knows these answers best, but I think I can say that a 280T housing fits on a 270. on my Magnum project I am switching from 250 drives to 2 280T drives and the hole pattern is the same . .

I'd do anything you can to not modify the Hornet . .

Mario L.
    Mario,,he has a 18 that someone made in to a bench seat ..

i would look into a volvo sx,,faster then merc and its close to the existing hole size..

That is correct !
    This was a 1972 Donzi 18 that sombody did a chop, cut, and paste job on to make it into a "Benchseat 18". It had been sitting outside in the weeds for 25 + years before I bought this old project in 2009 .
    I am just now putting it back together correctly, re-coring, gas-tank ,& re-powering & re-painting it.
    12 Photos are on this forum search under "Benchseat 18 Classic Race Boat Found "

I don't want to break the bank on a new high priced engine & drive system on this old benchseat conversion project !

Who knows how well it will finally perform with the weight shifted aft to it's new benchseat driving position ? !

I could just be throwing good money into a black hole !

It is a fun & interesting project !

Lenny has been doing a similar benchseat X-18 project in VBC Canada ~~~

Lenny has far more fiberglass construction talent than I !
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

It all depends on how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend. I'm getting creative this spring in hopes of a few more mph's. That thread is around here somewhere. To me, some more speed is worth a little cash. However, it's not worth a big investment on a whole new drive and everything that comes along with it. If you pop off the 270 for a merc, you'll be looking at a new bell, transom (much smaller hole), paint or gel, assembly, steering, and of course the drive itself. There are ways to make the 270 go faster, and I'll let you know just what they are after I figure out the full equation

Good luck...keep us posted!
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by silverghost View Post
    I am debating if I should try to find a complete 280T outdrive assembly from bellhousing to prop ?
    Would my old 270 drive work with a 280T transom shield & hydraulic pump unit ?
    Here is the 1985 280T transom assembly that I installed on my 1971 18' Donzi. Yes, it is an easy assembly to install - you will need two extra holes for the hydraulic hoses, but the mounting holes are the same as the regular 270 housing. Yes, the 270 drive will bolt up to the 280T assembly. It is an awesome modification! You will now have complete trim control instead of deciding what pin hole to use for all driving conditions. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

usually the parts are pretty much interchangeble on the 250 thru 280.

one difference is in the yolk/tiller for the steering helmet, they made 2 sizes. look for a transom housing with the helmet that should cover you just in case.

I was under the impression that the 200-thru 280 used the volvo cut out and the 290 and sx/cobra used the merc cut out?? My point being going from a 280 or older to a newer 290 or sx would mean glass work on the transom . If that's not the case I sure would like to know .

also remember the 280 drive leg is a little different , more hydrodynamic.

parts can be found as well as props.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet little 16 View Post
    one difference is in the yolk/tiller for the steering helmet, they made 2 sizes. look for a transom housing with the helmet that should cover you just in case.
    Do what now? Are you saying that there is a steering option other than the helmet? If so, I would really like to know more. Not a huge fan of all of the control of the steering/boat being held by one bolt...makes me a little nervous.

Thanks
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Donzi Vol View Post
    Do what now? Are you saying that there is a steering option other than the helmet? If so, I would really like to know more. Not a huge fan of all of the control of the steering/boat being held by one bolt...makes me a little nervous.
    Thanks

re read the post ,they made 2 different size yolks (where the helmet is held in the transom housing) one is smaller one is larger. I suggested to buy a transom housing that had the helmet with it so you know it matches.

the helmet connection to the drives are pretty standard, connections on 2 sides and the top, except for the very late models which had several bolts in the top connection instead of one.
    not sure what one bolt makes you nervous?? The volvo setup is ok if you're using it at the speeds it was designed for. If and a big if , all the connections and cable must be in top shape and you must be propped correctly. when those connection are loose or have play low 20 mph can be a handful. If you are planing on going fast I would go to a power steering/external setup .

If you use internal steering you pretty much have to stay with the helmet setup. If you went to external steering you can loose the helmet , replaced with a bracket directly on the drive. probably have to loose the helm and bezel as well.

connections to check on a regular basis
    the 3 on the helmet
    the spindle to tiller connection ( yolk usually a bolt that tightens the grooved hole in the tiller around the grooved spindle of the helmet).
    the end of the cable to the tiller connection
    and the back pivot end of the steering cable end usual a backet attached to the motor
    and the helm

any play or binding in any of these can cause havoc in the control and handling of the boat

hope that helps

Drive Inspection

Thank's for all your input & opinions so far guys.

Bill~~~Thanks for the great photo of your 280T transom unit~~~
    This might be the way to go IF, and only IF, the drive can be put back into service ?

What does the Volvo trim pump uint look like ?
    I have never seen one !
    I assume there are only two hydraulc lines involved~~~
    Am I correct ?

Today was the first time I was able to to do a quick inspection of my complete outdrive.

It will not tilt, as the complete tilt motor assembly has been stolen.
    I tried to lift, and pivot up, the drive by hand with no success~~~
    It is stuck down solid !

The drive will also not steer, or move at all, from side to side as it also appears stuck in the center position !
    There is no steering cable connected inside at all; just an empty & rusty steering arm; so that's not holding it back ! Bad bearings & rusted Universal joints I suspect might be holding it back ?

The drive's splined input shaft, for the drive damper in the bellhousing is very rusty and it will not turn with a 2 foot long webbed strap wrench !
    Believe me~~~I tried !

This boat had been sitting outside uncovered for 25 + years with the Ford engine removed.
    The aft end of the hull was full of water .

The input shaft , & inside bellhousing is Rusty & corroded and I supect this input shaft's bearing is also rusty !

There is no prop, or prop nut, washers , or retaining cone !
    I put the strap wrench on the SS splined prop output shaft and it too will not turn.
    I removed the shift linkage cover and shifted the drive~~~
    Still nothing will turn by hand !
    It is stuck soid ~~~

Not a very good sign !

What do YOU think about this ?

The drive's lube oil was almost up to level and appeared to be clean. I doubt any water got into the lower unit's gear-case !

I did not attempt to drain the lube oil~~~as of today.

I guess it's time to start pulling this drive apart to evaluate IF it in fact can be rebuilt with new bearings & a seal kit, boots , etc !

I suspect the universal joints are rusted frozen solid; as are the steering & tilt bearings !

Also the input shaft main bearings in the bellhousing along with the splined steel shaft itself are both very rusty .

This drive may just be a scrapp parts unit now ?
    I assume it's a 270 ?

Here is the data from the Hollman~Moody T-Bird tag on the bellhousing.

D2 HM-3144 1RW
    I/O
    CPM-235B-4N-
    C9H-M-ME1
    1-1-10*

Here is the data from the outside top of the drive~~~

Volva Penta
    PZ NR2730885 B

The H~M Ford engine was long gone before I bought this boat !

I do not know the outdrive's ratio ?

Is there another data tag located on the outdrive somewhere that might give me a clue as to it's drive ratio ?

Can anyone tell me anything about the engine, or drive based on the data tag's info I supplied ?

Matty is the H~M numbers man !

MATTY: are you out there somewhere ?
    I have not seen a post from you on this forum in a very long time ?
    I hope you are well ?

Time to hunt down a good early Volvo~Penta service technical manual !

Who sells the BEST Volvo service tech manual out there today ?
    Most of the genaric Volvo service & technical manuals I see in the marine stores give only a little bit of info on the early Volvo~Penta outdrives !
    ****(Manual Update I just bought a Seloc 2600 Volvo 1968-91 Repair Manual at a local book store~~~
    95% is engine & other later outdrive info~~~
    Sadly~~~
    Very little on the 270-280 in this manual
    !
    Is there a BETTER Repair Manual out there ? )

In short my old Volvo~Penta oudrive is a big rusted mess !

The BIG QUESTIONS~~~

Can it be saved & re-used?

Should it be saved ?

At what cost ?
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-07-2011 at 02:44 PM.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

is the drive still on the boat?? if so remove it from the transom housing and inspect and turn the U-joints. this will also let you figure what drive ratio as well. Then look at the input and output shafts in the intermediate and see if they turn.

The drive boot bellows is very very stiff and has a 2 " split in it~~~
    I am now thinking that salt water entered here in the distant past and did a number on the U-Joints , & bearings , shafts etc.

The boat may have possibly also partially sunk at one time !

Perhapps this is why it was sitting in those weeds for 25+ years ? !

No real surprize here !
    When I first bought this project I had assumed the worst for this old drive~~~

I bought it because I liked the idea of a benchseat 18 project !

The complete drive, such as it is, is still mounted on the transom~~~

I guess it's time to pull it off and tear it open and have a good internal inspection .

IF it will in fact ever come apart ?
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-07-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Might be a plan to pull it all off the boat check the transom. If the transom looks like it needs to be replaced that would be the moment of truth. If glass work is the word of the day then scrap the volvo and totally update the power and drive.

As an owner of an 18 that was once a Volvo boat . . and as I have made bow to stern balance changes . . .I'd venture that this boat will possibly need tabs . .
    What is the fuel tank? Stock 22-25 gallons?
    Where is the battery?
    Power trim will only act to raise the bow . . ? . . .
    As to discarding the Volvo and adding something newer . . think twice!!! BTDT!! If I knew what I know now my Corsican would be a Volvo 280T with external steering and not a Bravo!
    the Volvo is tougher than an Alpha, and as stong as the Bravo with a small block at a lower weight.
    My Corsican floats 3/4" lower at the stern, and my boat is still a 302 Ford with an aluminum intake , aluminum heads and CMI tubular headers, lighter crank and flywheel, basically my engine package weighs less that the original.
    Maddad has a very fast 18 with a Volvo . . . he can almost stay with me Let's see if he finds this thread
    props are not an issue . . . Solas props can be found
    Mario L.

The transom core wood is shot as are the aft ends of the stringers~~~

I knew this also going-in and expected to recore the transom & repair the stringers anyway.
    Just another"Fun" part of the project~~~
    Just thinking about this glasswork & grinding makes me itch !

Mario: The center of gravity issue has been on my mind for with some time now with the new aft benchseat driver's position.

Some weight shifting is in order here !

A new bigger gas tank is planned~~~
    I will try to install the new bigger tank closer to the bow of the boat.

Trim tabs are on the must- have "Punch list" also !

Like I mentioned before this project will become a "Black Hole" for lots of cash !

But it is an unusual & fun project !

I will be the only kid on my block, or in the USA I suspect for that matter, with a Donzi benchseat 18 when finished !

Lenny's great X-18 benchseat projects are not counted here in this count as he is located in another country in the Great Upper North West !
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-07-2011 at 09:07 PM.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Thread Information