Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Engine Weight and Performance

Hey guy , in my opinion the Ilmore package is rather pricey and to tell you the truth ......before all is said and done you just might want to consider takeing a straight edge to the bottom of the boat and start looking for a bigger and longer set of K planes .

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    I think it was actually like 105, but who's counting at that point. The same shop on LI did both cigs. Another difference between the cig 20 and 22 donzi is these blackhawk 20's run 1.36 gearing I'm pretty sure which the 22 is not supposed to like (I've never tried it) Between the hp, running over 5000rpm and the 1.36 gears I would think those drives would be ticking bombs.
    MdonziM
    Jimmy's shop did unbolt my 496 and bolted new motor in and unbolted my drive & bolt on my B/H along with redoing my hatch. Phil @ Lip Ship is the one that re-did this boat in 2006 and as far HP 5000 rpm & 1.36 B/H If the drive has all XR parts in it you are fine.
    Rick
    Little Max

Run Hard Or Stay At The Dock

Thanks for all the input guys. Those two Blackhawk Cigs are amazing!
    I have an ITS/XR/Shorty set-up that I want to continue with... X-dimension is the only debate. The multi-port fuel-injected style motors (stroked 500efi, Ilmor, etc.) will let me go up without changing my hatch (really like the stock look). Carb set-up with a 540/572 gains me nothing in height over my existing 454/Weiand 177. Whipple with intercooler and the short snout will fit with the stock hatch but also much more power. Might be the way I go... have a line on a well-priced 700+hp used motor. Talked with Ilmor and a 7-10, though awfully nice, is too much cash.
    Sounds like the big K-planes are a must for high-speed stability. The stringer re-inforcement will deifinitely be looked at with a big motor. I will not be underestimating the forces and safety considerations as the speeds move higher.
    I'll let you know how things develop.
    Best regards,
    Yoryi

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLE MAX View Post
    MdonziM
    Jimmy's shop did unbolt my 496 and bolted new motor in and unbolted my drive & bolt on my B/H along with redoing my hatch. Phil @ Lip Ship is the one that re-did this boat in 2006 and as far HP 5000 rpm & 1.36 B/H If the drive has all XR parts in it you are fine.
    Hey LM,

Wasn't trying to diss the drive package at all. I saw your 20 at Jimmy's a couple of years ago. I run a 540(625hp) in a 22c with a blackhawk and have had no issues with about 75hrs and I bought the drive from a boardmember here and just bolted it on. I'm sure the xr internals make a big difference.

- Marshall
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Thread Information